• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Multibay DVD

Started by bottomtop, 2012.09.10, 04:10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

bottomtop

Hello,
I have recently fitted a multibay DVD burner to the docking station I use with my laptop.  It seems Ecs doesn't fully recognise it.  It can be heard "spinning up" during the boot process, however I do not get an object for it in the Drives folder.   The S: drive object that pointed to my USB DVD is still there though (but doesn't do anything when that USB device is unplugged).  I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what I might try to enable the drive to be accessible?

EugeneGorbunoff

1) Check BIOS Setup,
activate DVD player if disabled.

2) attach the DVD player to computer via USB cable.
does it work?

bottomtop

Hi Eugene, thanks for your response.

There are no Bios settings that mention the Multibay slot in the docking station.

The USB DVD drive works fine.    It is the new Multibay drive which is not being recognised.

abwillis

What is the hardware?  Are you using the standard IBM drivers or Dani's for IDE/ATAPI?  I am presuming with that question I guess that this is an older laptop... if it is a new model, are you using os2ahci?  Another if seeings I don't know the hardware, if using os2ahci is the dock using SATA or IDE?  If IDE and the other ahci then maybe you need to install/configure IDE/ATAPI drivers.

bottomtop

Hello abwillis, thanks for your response.
I am using the standard IBM drivers, not the DANI ones.  It is an older laptop, a HP/COMPAQ TC4200 using a "HP Advanced Docking Station".  The docking station contains the multibay slot.

I'm pleased to report that I tried the bleeding obvious and it worked - I did ALT+F1 at boot and chose to enable full hardware detection.  The result was that the S: drive object now connects to the Multibay drive.   Its funny because I had always assumed that enabling hardware detection on OS/2 boot never did anything at all, beacuse in my experience, it had never assisted with any hardware problems.  But there you go, a welcome surprise.

abwillis

Glad it is working... and as such you may not want to make changes but for your general information, the Dani drivers often work on hardware that the IBM ones do not and are generally faster and more reliable.  As to the more hardware, it may be necessary to work with some parameters at times to attain that.