• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS on Samsung Series 7 Slate

Started by Sigurd, 2012.09.20, 14:55:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurd

For those who are interested in:

Well, it took me almost 10 months now to finally succed in getting eCS to run on the Samsung Series 7 Slate. But, I tried not that often in this duration of time because simply it was to hard and I gave up for month. Finally I went trough.

It is this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397331,00.asp

I am using the eCS 2.2. alpha from April this year, using USB Drivers from Lars Erdmann 183 and ACPI 3.21.02 (Latest).

BUT - IT WAS REALLY A KIND OF PITA!! ;)

Once I figured out that it was because of the USB Drivers (still included in 2.2. the "old IBM" ones so far) that it allways crashed I managed to get it to run, but it was not that easy because I had to prepare the HDD and did not want to destroy the Windows 7 installation. In the end I am using Airboot Manager now to switch between Windows 7 and eComStation during boot process. As the inlcuded keyboard is a Bluetooth model I can not use it. But i discovered that I can use the inbuild switch for "Loudness" and "Rotation" to work with Airboot.

eCS is still somewhat instable, but at least it is running native, but I guess because of that much included USB devices (2 Webcams, UMTS,Bluetooth, Digitizer, Tablett and 2 USBEHCI ) eCS comes in heavy problems.

I will see if - with the help of i.e. Wim - we can get Digitizer and Touch to run.

EugeneGorbunoff

aaa... very expensive device.

too many CPUs.. try disable HyperThreading (if activated)

Sigurd

There has been no difference from the beginning on whether with or without Hyperthreading.

Last week on ebay a used one was sold for about 390 Euro....

Sigurd

Hi,

just a small update:

--> things done:

-> the LAN interface in the dockingstation does work perfect with the Mensys Realtek Driver (and even better: if the Slate is booted "Not connected to the dockingstation" the driver loads as well and does not stop boot process with an error message nor halt); Internet connection possible (see picture attached)
-> Panorama Video driver shows maximum resolution 1366X768 with 16M colours (but - see below)
-> USB Drivers seem to work (but see below)

--> things to be done:

-> as mentioned the eCS is somehow strange and instabel, it depends on the boot process. I guess ACPI and USB are not allways able to set the right and proper settings during boot process
i.e.: the easiest way to see if all went good or wrong is to watch the CPU Meter directly after boot: (I did disable Hyperthreading allthough it seems to make no difference) if the two kernels show activity between 0,5 and 5% everything is OK but if those show 50 - 90% the device will be unusable after a short duration of time...
I can not say wich way it will go the next boot time, I would say the usable / unusable rate is up to 50/50...
When unusable it is not possible to shut down (regardless if APM or ACPI has been choosen on the "e-shutdown" page), it just closes the WPS and starts it again or just stops with 0% in the shutdown progress. If the boot process went OK it is possbile to shutdown the system, it turns it self completly of. The same is with the Power Manager - if booting is OK it calms down the fan and temperatuer after about 1 or 2 minutes, if booting is not OK it allways runs on full fan and CPU power that makes it dangerous for the device.

-> Sound - I did not test sound drivers so far as I thought those might be one reason preventing eCs from booting
-> UMTS - I will try to get 3G/UMTS connection to run as I did with the Lenovo X200t (but later)
-> Stylus - Touch: Wim is so kind to help me here once again!!!!!

--> things that never will and can be done:

- WLAN
- Bluetooth (and therefore the included keyboard...sadly, as it is a really great one!!)

All in all it is really worth a shot! It is really a pitty that I can not sent David A. and Lars Erdemann a slate to set proper ACPI and USB functions as I am of the opinion that it then would really be a great device for eCS! I am looking forward to get touch and pen to run.

ANd if you choose the right background image, eCS or OS/2 isn't that bad looking ;)

abwillis

It seems unlikely but you didn't install the multiuser stuff did you?  I had a system that behaved exactly as you describe... the process that was using the CPU was ssesctl.exe part of the multiuser stuff.  Does that slate have hyperthreading?  If it does can it be turned off? 
http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=2132

Sigurd

Hi,

thanks for your reply - I tried it but unfortunately it does not change something. The boot process is still something weird and I think it seems to be a problem with ACPI tables or USB. I even tried the new 186 USB drivers that seems to make extend the "recognation rate" of the USB connectors, but unfortunately have no effect (still do not know if there is some to expect) on the boot process.

In addition I tried to load UNIAUD drivers wich fail to load during bootprocess ("can not initializise....")  :-(

Will go on testing this evening with Stylus drivers Wim provided me.

BTW - is there a way to exclude USB devices during boot process, i.e. to disable Touch support?

Sigurd

Following the readme of Lars Erdmans USB Drivers 186 I deleted the "USB Widget" from e-center - since then eCS usually starts with a CPU Usage between 1 and 4%..... USB Widget/ USB Dock turns out to be a broken application.

I also installed AHCI 1.24 but that seems to make no difference.

Still have some weird boot processes, that stopped while the eCS boot screen is displayed.....

Something positiv:

With Wim's help and guidance I was able to extract some information from the Touch and Stylus via USB what gives some hope here :-)

Stay tuned....

Sigurd

Just for fun I created a new bootlogo for the Slate :-)

Besides all legal things - wich in this case do not bother me at all - I think it is one of the saddest advertise decision from eCS to deny the OS/2 Warp History and brand. I think it is better to have some kind of reputation - even if it is for some probably a bad one - (OS/2) than having no reputation (eCS) - sadly. But it may be one of the things IBM wanted to have fixed.

(The file here is png , just that it can be viewed , I have it as a lgo file created with the PMVIEW Program)

Sigurd

Stylus is working now..... ! All credits to Wim!

melf

Hi Sigurd, the Slate seems to be a nice little plate, and you're doing progress fast (well minus the 10 months to install eCS ;-) ) ! But what kind of wlan is inside? Do you see any possibilities that a future multimac based wifi can handle it?

About the OS/2 history: I may be wrong but AFAIK the use of another name than OS/2 was a prerequisite to be allowed to produce and resell  a new distribution of OS/2.
/Mikael

Sigurd

Hi Melf,

the WLAN is something strange. The US market version does have the Intel 6200 WLAN card (or similar) that may have a good chance to be supported, if ever. If I understand it correctly this module is combined somehow with the Bluetooth, so some wanted to change the WLAN Adapter (what for me seems to be rather impossible without destroying the Slate) with another but get warnings with loosing Bluetooth functionality then.

The German version does come with an combi module with an Atheros AR9285 802.11 b/g/n (bgn), Bluetooth, UMTS/3G Adapter.

I have sadly no idea if this Atheros chipset (that I have seen by the way in many Netbooks and tabletts I tested) will ever be part of the plan of the WLAN Multimac.

I will give the UMTS/3G a test this evening as it is easier to handle the Slate with the working Stylus now.

What does actual bother me more is:

- The usable but in deed painfull slowly working Panorama vesa
- UNIAUD not working

So at the moment it is something between  >:( and  :)

;)

Pete

Hi

If you were on the eCSTestTeam mailing list you would be aware that an updated Panorama is due sometime soon for testing. Roderick posted this today:-

[ eComStation Test Team ]

On both mailing lists there have been a lot of replies of people
wanting to test Panorama.

I already have 1 person that tested the new first build from David. It
does not address the performance issue's (yet).
David needs some more days to further work on the code of Panorama. It
does not make sense
to release the current version for testing. Somewhere next week we hope
to have a new version we people can test.

One thing you can do (you don't need to send us this data). Is download
this benchmark tool:
http://www.os2warp.org/SysBench/
And on the systems where Panorama is running run sysbench. Telling that
the video performance is not good
is one thing. But numbers are more precise!

You only have to run "Graphics" benchmark. The other options are not
needed.
Then when the new Panorama test version is released you can compare
numbers!

So somewhere next week we hope to have a new version that should
address some of the performance issue's.

Roderick

So, keep an eye out for the updated Panorama and, hopefully, it will be an improvement over the current version. I doubt it will come close to the speed of an accelerated driver though.

Regards

Pete

Sigurd

Hi Pete,

never heard about this test team, never get an information about it  ???

I did testing, some more then only graphic, with the Samsung, here the results, as I do not no where to send them.

And I do have nothing to compare, so I dont know if these results are good,ok or bad....

Sysbench 0.9.5c result file created Wed Sep 26 21:00:43 2012

Machine name       - Samsung S7 SLATE
Manufacturer       - Samsung
Motherboard        - Unknown motherboard
Chipset            - Intel Sandy Bridge
Processor          - 4 x Intel model 6a7 found (not in

cpu table) with MMX
External cache     - 0Kb internal instruction cache, 0Kb internal data cache
Graphics card      - Unknown Unknown

256MB
Storage Controller - unknown controller
Machine data
Coprocessor        = Yes
Processors         = 4
RAM                = 511.98 MB

Operating System data
OS/2 version       = 20.45
CSDLevel           = XR0C004_
FIXLevel           = Unknown
Revision number    = 14.097
Priority           = Dynamic
Maxwait            = 1
Timeslice          = (32,32)
Protectonly        = NO
Swap file size     = 2.00MB

...initially     = 2.00MB

Video data
Resolution         = 1024x768x32 bits/pixel
Number planes      = 0
Screen Access      = Direct
Bank

Switched      = No
Bytes/scanline     = 4096
Aperture size      = 3145728
Manufact. code     = 32902
Chipset code       = 278

Graphics

BitBlt S->S copy      :       11.222    Million pixels/second
  BitBlt M->S copy      :       11.238    Million pixels/second

Filled Rectangle      :       21.526    Million pixels/second
  Pattern Fill          :       19.234    Million pixels/second

Vertical Lines        :        3.121    Million pixels/second
  Horizontal Lines      :        5.388    Million pixels/second

Diagonal Lines        :        2.063    Million pixels/second
  Text Render           :        6.028    Million pixels/second

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Total                 :        7.582    PM-Graphics-marks

CPU integer
  Dhrystone             :     3654.600    VAX 11/780 MIPS equivalent
  Hanoi                 :     4637.000    moves/25

microseconds
  Heapsort              :     3305.100    Million Instructions Per Second
  Sieve                 :     3038.900    

Million Instructions Per Second
  Total                 :  

3624.283    CPU integer-marks

CPU float
  Linpack               :      415.120    MFLOPS
  Flops                 :     1632.600    

MFLOPS
  Fast Fourier Transfrm :      551.040    VAX FFT's

Total                 :      317.327    CPU floating point-marks

Direct Interface to video extensions - DIVE
  Video bus bandwidth  

File I/O-marks

Memory
  5    kB copy          :    11779.674    Megabytes/second
  10   kB copy          :    11455.385    

Megabytes/second
  20   kB copy          :    12883.810    Megabytes/second
  40   kB copy          :     6877.161    

Megabytes/second
  80   kB copy          :     9292.243    Megabytes/second
  160  kB copy          :     5309.379    

Megabytes/second
  320  kB copy          :     5381.161    Megabytes/second
  640  kB copy          :     6105.237    

Megabytes/second
  1280 kB copy          :     3762.229    Megabytes/second
  5    kB read          :     2965.335    

Megabytes/second
  10   kB read          :     3112.180    Megabytes/second
  20   kB read          :     3137.361    

Megabytes/second
  40   kB read          :     2701.796    Megabytes/second
  80   kB read          :     1986.156    

Megabytes/second
  160  kB read          :     2521.769    Megabytes/second
  320  kB read          :     1744.601    

Megabytes/second
  640  kB read          :     2473.167    Megabytes/second
  1280 kB read          :     3210.626    

Megabytes/second
  5    kB write         :     3715.333    Megabytes/second
  10   kB write         :     4811.056    

Megabytes/second
  20   kB write         :     2829.253    Megabytes/second
  40   kB write         :     4408.564    

Megabytes/second
  80   kB write         :     3559.598    Megabytes/second
  160  kB write         :     3070.918    

Megabytes/second
  320  kB write         :     3319.594    Megabytes/second
  640  kB write         :     4282.109    

Megabytes/second
  1280 kB write         :     2735.443    Megabytes/second

Total                 :     5098.063    Memory-marks

Disk I/O disk 0-1: 61052 MB - SAMSUNG MZMPA064HMDR-00000
  Avg. data access time :        0.100    milliseconds
  Cache/Bus

xfer rate   :       87.587    Megabytes/second
  Track 0 xfer rate fwd :      115.778    Megabytes/second
  Middle trk rate fwds. :  

162.723    Megabytes/second
  Last track rate bwds. :      161.674    Megabytes/second
  Average Transfer rate :      146.725    

Megabytes/second
  Disk use CPU load     :        8.680    percent

Total                 :     1307.903    Disk I/O-marks

Disk

EDIT: to cut things that I did not test

melf

Well, the graphical marks as far as I can see seem to be extremely low. On my Thinkpad T43 the PM Marks is 118 with Panorama (compared to  454 with SNAP) which is really quite good. It has been some talk about bad MTRR values and Panorama (frankly I don't know what that is, but it seem to be able to badly affect Panorama performance, but should be possible to adjust I think).
/Mikael

Pete

Hi Sigurd

It's so long since I joined the eCSTestTeam that I'm not sure how I did it... I think it was around the time that eCS1.2 was in beta.

I can only suggest that you contact Joachim joachim @ mensys.nl (remove spaces around the "@") and ask to be added to the eCSTestTeam mailing list. That way you can find out what is happening with various drivers under development.

Regards

Pete