• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Driver for Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet NICs

Started by kim, 2007.08.02, 23:33:20

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

RobertM

Hi Kim,

Try this driver...

http://www.geocodeengine.com/Drivers/Marvell_Yukon.zip

Note regarding the bounty: I did NOT create this driver (nor have I tested it yet). I *believe* it came from Hobbes, and I *believe* I was pointed to it by someone else in the forums (in the old forums). It may have been Veit Kannegieser who completed the work on it. The txt file says it works with the PCI based cards, and a note from Veit says:

Quotemade it work. Netio bechmark to an Intel Gigabit chip over a cat5 cable gave 66 MiB/s, about the half using Netdrive/ftp with larger files (and slow disks).

I am not sure if he is talking about mobo based chips or not...

If anyone has a board with the Marvell Yukon chipset, perhaps they could test it and let people know if this driver works...

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

microdrome

Thanks for the input robert. (i am the one who started this bounty b.t.w)
I have tried using your suggested driver  on my asus motherboard with the integrated nic's.
Patched it to the new chip id ,loads o.k. but no real connections .. :(
It would have bee too easy ....
Hopefully there is someone who can make a decent driver , there are 2 official ones for linux already.
They can be found on the marvell website : http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverSearchResults.do

Peter (microdrome)

nickk

I have 8052 chip on my mainbord too and was going to write the driver, although i am not sure i'll have enough time before my vacation to complete ;)

RobertM

There seems to be a GenMac driver for the Marvell chipset, but I dont know which chipsets it supports (and personally would prefer a native driver anyway)... it seems to be in GenMac v2.04rc1

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

microdrome

Yes ,i prefer a native driver too , perhaps nick can make one after his holiday .(a rush job does never works)
b.t.w. where did you see the 2.04RC1 genmac ?
i can only find 2,00 on netlabs and this is definitely not supporting the wanted chipsets.

Peter

ktk

You should try http://genmac.netlabs.org GenMac 2.2, there is a Yukon driver in there. If it doesn't work check the INF file to find out how you can request support for that card.

And please guys stop the "native" discussion, where is the problem using GenMac? That think works rocking stable and we get a lot of drivers for free.

Saijin_Naib

Its because its wrapping Windows drivers, and we all know how shitty everything Windows related is.  ::)

herwigb

Well, especially many of the later OS/2 LAN drivers seem to have lots of problems, whereas you can bet Windows LAN drivers are much more and much better tested.

For the 3C90x cards the GenMAC wrapper plus Windows drivers seems to be even slightly faster than the "native" OS/2 driver.

Regards,
Herwig
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

Pete

Quote from: ktk on 2008.03.07, 12:46:34
You should try http://genmac.netlabs.org GenMac 2.2, there is a Yukon driver in there. If it doesn't work check the INF file to find out how you can request support for that card.

And please guys stop the "native" discussion, where is the problem using GenMac? That think works rocking stable and we get a lot of drivers for free.

Hi

I have absolutely nothing against the genmac windows nic driver wrapper - in fact, I supplied the necessary drivers to get support for the nVidia nForce4 nic included so that I could use an onboard nic rather than an addin nic.

When I later bumped into the nveth driver I decided to give that a try and do a "see how it goes" compared to the genmac driver.

I do not have any objective results on speed, both seem about the same, both seem fairly reliable in use but I do seem to recall the odd networking glitch when using genmac that I have not had with nveth.

I'm not sure whether several (2/3) minor glitches during around 14 months of use of the genmac driver were due to using genmac or some other configuration issue, somewhere on the system, that get resolved at some point just before installing nveth. I have not tried genmac2.0 on so *if* (little word, big meaning) it was a genmac related glitch maybe it is now cured.

My conclusion: A big "THANK YOU" to those involved in developing both drivers - especially as it leaves me with a good working choice  :-)

Pete

herwigb

After doing some netio tests both with native NIC drivers and GenMAC for the 3c905c-TXM and the Intel Pro/1000 GT I can confirm that GenMac performs 2% to 4% better than the native drivers on the same hardware.

From within a VPC/2 guest the difference is probably even bigger, but I did not measure that.

Up to now I have no stability problems with GenMAC (although the Intel Pro/1000 GT is not officially supported by GenMAC). The native E1000.OS2 driver has problems with speed detection in case a cable is plugged in while netbind.exe loads.

So much for the theory that "native" must be better/faster/more stable in any case.

Kind regards,
Herwig B.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

microdrome

I feel as the starter of this the need to do something more usefull than waiting for this never to come driver ,
in the meantime the genmac is supporting this chipset and i think there is no longer need for a "native driver" -it is working fine for me-

My suggestion is therefore : let's transfer the funds to something more useful !  (if my co sponsor agrees of course)

Only active large projects (netlabs ?) and not small individual ones  of course:-\

question is ,to which project ?

Peter

StefanZ