• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

DOS Window

Started by jdeb, 2012.10.02, 04:26:40

Previous topic - Next topic

jdeb

How come the Dos Window session does not work? DOS full screen is ok. please advise. The cursor just flashes but no drive is showing....
Foxconn P41A-P, Intel E7500, 2 GB DDR2 800, ATI X300, ADATA Sata II 64 GB SSD, 160GB WD Sata II HD, Intel Pro 100/1000, Antec Basiq 350W PS, Antec 300 Case, ECS 2.1

Radek

How doesn't it work exactly? Do you get a window, a cursor in it - and it hangs? Has the problem arisen after some upgrade, after a new installation of eCS or suddenly?

One kind of a problem "DOS fullscreen works, DOS window crashes" known to me is caused by VIOTBL.DCP . For some unknown reason, the VIOTBL.DCP in eCS is incompatible with certain video cards (GeForce, for example). The problem with VIOTBL.DCP causes a page fault (int 0Eh) and a chernobyl screen "consult your sales representative" on any attempt to run a DOS window session. Fullscreen DOS works. You need a VIOTBL.DCP from the original W4. Replace, restart eCS, try DOS window again - it should work if it was this problem.

Andi

One problem I remember was with some ACPI versions and not using /PIC parameter. Which version do you use?

With latest ACPI versions it works for me without any parameter. I'm using the X300 with SNAP, you too?

jdeb

Thanks for the replies. I occasionally build retro gaming boxes and was experimenting with my box before I install eCS 2.1 on a customer build. I seem to recall that Warp had a better DOS or might I say more configurable. Normally, I would build them with PCDOS and occasionally Win98se or 95.

Anyway, I will try the VIOTBL.DCP thing, sounds like a possible fix. Where do I find that? Not getting that error message. Is it easy to replace or install? As far as my current setup. I just changed the hardware from the Foxconn board in my signature to a Tyan (S2865G2NR) Socket 939 board / AMD Opteron 185 / 4gb DDR 400 RAM / ATIX800 PCIe / Sata II SSD / WD 160gb Sata Drive for data and software repository. Everything works great from the clean install, no updates etc. I have not got that far yet, however, I know the latest ACPI works on it but I have not installed it yet. SO it is the original installation files and the only issue is the DOS window. It has a blinking cursor with no drive showing, can't type anything in it so I just close out using the X. Incredible performance and speed with eCS 2.1.

I am using a ATI X800 PCIe with SNAP 3.1. I will try the latest ACPI and see if that fixes it. I will try tonight and follow up. 
Foxconn P41A-P, Intel E7500, 2 GB DDR2 800, ATI X300, ADATA Sata II 64 GB SSD, 160GB WD Sata II HD, Intel Pro 100/1000, Antec Basiq 350W PS, Antec 300 Case, ECS 2.1

Sigurd

Hi,

just for the notes - it does not help much, sorry - I have got the same problem with my Samsung Series 7 Slate, eCS 2.2 and latest ACPI. Have no suggestion so far.

Andi

Btw. there is more than one entry in bugtracker regarding DOS. Maybe it helps to read there....

Sigurd

Hi Andi,

if you mean this:

http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=2634

-> replacing vsvga with vvga made it even worse. When starting dos Window it covers the whole WPS with a blinkg red and green... and crash

-> adding switches to config.sys and autoexec.bat - hm. The only change there is a "d" instead of a "/" in the first line of the dos window. Still unuseable.

@jdeb : Even though - isn#T it possible to use DOSBOX instead?

Would be one of my suggestion for eCs X: integrate DOSBOX in installation in addition to DOS.

Radek

As far as VIOTBL.DCP is concerned, send me a mail at gerzhinATemailDOTcz. It does not matter what you write into it, I will use the email address and send you the file. I cannot attach the file to a private message and I am not sure whether I can post it here. Installation: VIOTBL.DCP is in \OS2 . Rename it (so that you can return if it does not solve your problem) and copy the W4 viotbl to the directory. You can do it while running eCS. Restart.
As to dosbox, my experience is that dosbox is s l o w . . . ... Moreover, with ATI cards, you can experience bad colors.

Anyway, I haven't seen problems with a DOS session with ATI cards. Maybe, it's not a VIOTBL problem.

jdeb

Quote from: Radek on 2012.10.02, 18:25:55
As far as VIOTBL.DCP is concerned, send me a mail at gerzhinATemailDOTcz. It does not matter what you write into it, I will use the email address and send you the file. I cannot attach the file to a private message and I am not sure whether I can post it here. Installation: VIOTBL.DCP is in \OS2 . Rename it (so that you can return if it does not solve your problem) and copy the W4 viotbl to the directory. You can do it while running eCS. Restart.
As to dosbox, my experience is that dosbox is s l o w . . . ... Moreover, with ATI cards, you can experience bad colors.

Anyway, I haven't seen problems with a DOS session with ATI cards. Maybe, it's not a VIOTBL problem.

What is the email address?