• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Started by El Vato, 2008.01.12, 00:24:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Fine, I am at fault here. I apolgize and aqcuiese. In any case, will setting the timer to a value like 1ms give make it react any faster to program hangs? If 5ms will net 5-10s wait in real life, I assume that 1ms will net 1-5s wait in real life?
----------
As to trying to understand, I am trying. You can see that I am sure. I have a different way of learning than you, and a different way of expressing things. I dont really feel its fair to be criticized based upon how I learn and interact. I would hope that you can see that I do try to learn things, and that I do care for this OS and want it to succeed. I thought that was clear, but maybe it is not so. Im not here to malign this OS and hate on it for no reason, but Im also not going to sit here and say its perfect because simply, its not.
----------
As for no OS being maintenance free, you are right. I never said Windows was, in fact, the reason why its so trouble free for me is because I have a maintenance schedule/routine that I have worked out that appears to be the right thing. Its a combination of regular defrags, error checks, spyware scans, use of Registry Cleaner (much like checkini I suppose) [Eusing Free Registry Cleaner reccomended, has given me 0 issues thus far and is quite thorough], and careful selection of software to install on my computer.
----------
NOW, on to my issues regarding OS/2. You are right, I DONT know enough about it. I dont get how classes work, I dont get why INIs get corrupted and stuffed with bad entries, and I dont get what software is okay to use with other software. I have only been using OS/2 for about a year now, on and off. It hasnt been my life like it has for most other people here, so you are correct, I know precious little. That being said, getting comments like "M$ windoze is teh suck at EVERYTHING, OS/2 for the win" or being told that I basically dont belong here is not constructive or friendly. Yeah, I get it, you dont like me. Thats fine, we can still co-exist and share information and other thoughts however.
---------
Finally, your contention that this discussion is idle and pointless is well taken, and I will hold my tounge in all further discussions because clearly, I am not very welcome here and the patience is worn thin regarding me.

Andi

Maybe it's the wrong thread, but as the SIQ is disscussed here, maybe someone can shed some light on this for me -

I worked for years with OS/2 and get WPS hangs very rare. But when, then after <CTRL> <ESC>, <ALT> <ESC> the window with '...application does not respond - Ignore, End Application' (or similare) pops up and after 'End..' the WPS restarts and all is fine again.

But, I think there are apps/extensions that avoid this 'self restarting'. LarsenCommander, WPS-Wizard, XWorkplace, eStyler, VPC .... or a combination of this? I don't know. Sometimes it helps to kill pmshell.exe with C-A-D commander or watchcat, but not every time.

I can see inresponsive WPS behaviour often when working with network shares or ftp-drives mounted via netdrive, or when accessing CD-ROMs.

So for a normal OS/2-eComStation user, and I count me in this group, it seems that the WPS hangs (probably the correct word would be wait instead of hang) a way too often for sometimes not so clear reasons. It doesn't matter that I can see similar behaviour with Windoze from time to time.

Unfotunatly I see this 'hangs' again with a relative fresh eCS2.0rc3 install (with LarsenCommander, WPS-Wizard, XWorkplace, eStyler, VPC ....). I care about my inis and clean them regulary.

This is no OS/2 bashing in any case. I love it and never want to run my private pcs with another os. I have to use other os'es in my day time job and I know, I don't want them at home.  Only thing I want to know is, how can I avoid this 'hangs'. Which apps or combinations cause this behaviour? What settings for async focus change, netbios retries-timeouts .... are best? What apps/extensions should I avoid?

I got the feeling that some of us know how to use their system without this WPS 'hangs'. But others, including me, do not. So please share your experience here.

Criguada

Saijin,
best thing for the "timer" is to try out values and see if it works for you. Be careful BTW because it times how long the input queue has been unresponsive, so if you set it too low you may be triggering the switch when it is not necessary. That said, I never tried to set it very low because I have very rare problems with the SIQ.

As for the rest of your post... saying I don't like you is not fair, it would be better to say that I don't like the way you express things (sometimes). In fact I am quite happy that you're here, and even a little surprised that a guy like you, evidently fond of the MS world, wants to explore the OS/2 world and don't get (too) discouraged by OS/2's peculiarities.

You surely won't find me saying "M$ windoze is teh suck at EVERYTHING, OS/2 for the win", you can bet it. I don't like Windows, and I know it well because I am forced to use Windows at work, and I work in a big IT department where I have been a programmer, a system admin, and now a DB admin. But I usually know if and when to recommend a user to switch to another OS or to stay with MS, when I know his computing habits. I am not one of those "evangelizing". I enjoy using OS/2 at home. I recognize OS/2's strengths ans weaknesses  with respect to modern OSes. And I am not that old that I am not comfortable working with Windows.

Finally, regarding INI corruption, classes, software compatibility and other technicalities I will be more than willing to share what I know if asked politely, though I have not a lot of free time on my hands. If you have some kind of IM account (jabber, ICQ, MSN...) we can even share some info in real time :)

Hope I have set things straight with respect to my attitude towards you.

Bye
Cris

UPDATE: I got your MSN contact and added you to my contacts.

Saijin_Naib

Cristiano, thanks for the clarifications with everything. I apologize if I come off a bit strong, but I have been not so well received by some members of the community, and I can see why they would rightly not particularly care for me. As for my interest in OS/2, like I said elsewhere, it was my first GUI computer, and where I first began to learn about computing. I loved my Aptiva, though at that time I did not understand why it looked different and things worked different than my friends computers. I like the Microsoft world because its what I used since the demise of the Aptiva till now, and I have grown to be quite proficient and knowledgeable about the many quirks and issues with Windows, to a point where I am really not surpised by anthing. Also, as stated in the OpenGl thread I started here, I am a gamer, and I dont like consoles, so Windows is the only way to go really. Gaming is what started forcing me to learn about computers because I needed to understand things and hardware and how to use the game consoles and etc. Thanks for adding me, I rarely use MSN, but I go on from time to time. I will see if I cant get the dMSN working here. I also wont take up your time outside of the boards because I know that you have real work to do. I've got time because I'm still a student and I can slack a bit more :P

DavidG

I have to agree with Cristiano.  You bring a different perspective to this forum and I am glad you are here.

I don't care for Windows myself even though I have to use it.  I do admit that XP is the most stable of Window's versions even though I have seen it crash many times on my machine and others.  Yes, I can make eCS crash, but I do a lot of beta testing of software on my machine.  You want a stable machine on both platforms.  Use your core programs and nothing else.  But if you do that, then where is excitement of trying something new and different.  Vista sucks in my opinion.  Having had to buy a laptop with Vista installed for my daughter for college, neither her or I care for it too much although it does look pretty.

RobertM

One thing I have definitely found to be true (of ANY operating system) is that certain (many?) aspects of stability are definitely related to the hardware it runs on. An Aptiva is a good example... most Aptiva's were pretty decent pieces of hardware. Most IBM hardware is. Even when IBM subcontracts stuff like memory to outside suppliers, the quality of the memory is always better than what one could get off the store shelves for the same memory brand. A combination of many similar factors can make an OS (or piece of hardware) seem much more stable. My HP workstation crashes all the time... my IBM servers never ever ever have. My Thinkpad 600 (going on 12 or more years old) rarely ever crashes (3 times I can remember).

Sometimes, the capabilities of the machine (and the ability of the OS to use those capabilities) also make a difference... for instance the memory (and controllers) in a Netfinity server which can mask off bad memory areas and keep the machine running, and do ECC and other things transparently to the OS, increases reliability...

Regardless, each OS has it's deficiencies... and I hope I've never sounded like I was belittling anyone's opinion on which deficiencies are worse... the fact is (end-user) usage type is the only thing that can determine that. For one person, the SIQ issue may be worse than the threading limitations or security issues of XP... such is the exact reason why many FOSS Operating Systems are tailoring various releases to that specific opinion based market of OS users by taking certain features (and thus also certain deficiencies) to create a package tailored to a certain groups' desires and needs...

I thus hope that everyone continues to post their experiences and likes and dislikes of each - because it is from them that eCS (as well as other OS's) can grow into something that addresses the desires of more users...

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|