• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS2 & Vulnerabilties

Started by eilygre, 2008.01.12, 13:37:29

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.01.14, 03:08:38There were vulnerabilities linked to various programs under OS/2 - namely Domino and Notes - those vulnerabilities were in the Lotus code - not in the OS - and affected it on every platform... fixes were released for that as well...

The apps running on OS2 will most likely sooner or later be reported with new vulnerabilities, for example look at Apache, Php, Perl, etc and the numerous different php script running on the system.

Regarding vulnerability that I remember that hit a few OS2 system, even if it actually wasn't a vulnerability in OS2, was the JPEG vulnerability - sending a JPEG file bigger that 12MB as an attachment in an e-mail to a Notes server; this got the  Notes server to crash big time and usually took the OS down along. 

chennecke

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.01.13, 22:51:44
Yeah, I was aware that there are holes, but I also read that the eCS evolutionary sprint plan aims to replace the current stack with an IPv6 stack that is completely re-written. This could be great news for those holes, or bad news. I wouldnt know, I am most certainly not qualified to venture any guess.

The so-called Evolutionary Sprint is from eCo Software, not SSI or Mensys. Let me put it that way: As with most things that come from eCo Software, I'll believe it when I experience it running without problems. Until then it's just vaporware.

QuoteI use it occasionally for office work, but I dont really like OpenOffice, although 2.3 is much improved over the version we currently have. What is DTP?

Desktop Publishing. I use Maul Publisher for that. The concept needs a bit of getting used to but it's very good.

QuoteYes, I use the default SP2 firewall and then Windows Defender. This has proven to be a decently safe combo of FREE security that doesn't suck. Anyway, OS/2 has a firewall as well so its just a good precaution to have. To me, every machine should be firewalled, regardless of what OS its hosting.

Very much agreed, although I'd put the firewall outside of the machines that are to be secured. At least on Windows, it has proven to be relatively easy to circumvent firewall software running on the system.

QuoteMy issues with eCS stablity seem to be mostly from my need to mess with it. Installing (or trying to install) eSchemes, or other WPS enhancements. Sometimes it will nuke the WPS and the only way I know to fix that is to reinstall. Thats okay, my vital data is on my NTFS XP volume and a flash-drive for all my work documents.

Now that explains a lot. You are trying alpha quality software. You can use the built-in archiving feature of eCS to save your OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI files. Also make a backup of the *.INI files in MMOS2. That will remove the need to re-install the system. If something happens, simply restore those files and you are done. Also, you can easily backup the whole system:

zip -r9S ecomstation.zip bootdrive:\*

To restore the backup boot via the eCS CD, open a command line and unzip the file. Done.

Saijin_Naib

Quote from: chennecke on 2008.01.14, 13:01:01
The so-called Evolutionary Sprint is from eCo Software, not SSI or Mensys. Let me put it that way: As with most things that come from eCo Software, I'll believe it when I experience it running without problems. Until then it's just vaporware.

Oh, I wasnt aware that the Evolutionary Sprint was seperate. Thats good to know though, I guess that makes a big difference in how much resources they have to accomplish what they have outlined O_O

Desktop Publishing. I use Maul Publisher for that. The concept needs a bit of getting used to but it's very good.
I remember looking at this Scribus program that used to have a linky on the right-hand side of this site. (http://www.scribus.net/) Is that what desktop publishing is? Thinks like workflow and print layout, or Adobe InDesign type stuff? I think my friend does that kind of work.

Very much agreed, although I'd put the firewall outside of the machines that are to be secured. At least on Windows, it has proven to be relatively easy to circumvent firewall software running on the system.

Unfortunately, yes, the Windows XP firewall is not brilliant. But again, its free, and its very easy for me to use. It also has proven easy to get around, in the case of my recent pwnage from a Trojan (that I admittedly let get INTO my computer because I was not being cautious). At home, each computer is firewalled (software), and we have a firewall on our router with 128bit WEP on the wireless and I think my ISP firewalls our connection as well. Works good so far, I havnt seen any evidence from my router that any other ISP/MAC ID than my machines have been accessing it.

Now that explains a lot. You are trying alpha quality software. You can use the built-in archiving feature of eCS to save your OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI files. Also make a backup of the *.INI files in MMOS2. That will remove the need to re-install the system. If something happens, simply restore those files and you are done. Also, you can easily backup the whole system:

To restore the backup boot via the eCS CD, open a command line and unzip the file. Done.

Do I have to run the sysinst X: command against that archive once its extracted?

Also, yeah, I guess the software isnt perfect (lol) but its nice to have because, unfortunately, since my switch to XP last year I have become much more of a whore for pretty GUIs. When I had win2k, I could care less, but now that I can skin XP to my liking with ease, well, I demand a bit more look out of my OS, and OS/2 does not deliver. With Styler/Lite, its decent, and with eSchemes, it looks like alot more could be possible. I may even try my hand at skinning it one day (once It works -_-). WPS-WIZARD provides me with tool-tips for objects (amazing!) and now, nice PNG icons. Awesome :)

To be fair, some of the software that eCS comes with is rather suspect (IFE 2.40 anyone?) and should be replaced. Also, if you are not aware of the MPTS issue with flooded MACS folder than you will have a cryptic SOCKS trap upon your next boot and you will wonder WTF. I finally made the association, and can dodge that bullet, but COME ON. The MACs folder should NOT be flooded upon install, setting up unsuspecting and noob users (ME!) for failure!

DavidG

Want to test your firewall for leaks?  Go to Gibson software

http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

My eComStation with my hardware router is itotally invisible to the outside world.  I can't say the same thing for Windows XP.

Saijin_Naib

McAfee freaked out about that file and blocked it, what exactly is that file?

DavidG

I have only tested with the Shields Up and Nanoprobe found at the bottom of the page.    As for Macafee complaining about leak detect, it probably would.  Shields up and Nanoprobe will tell you just how stealthy your system is.  My eCS is invisible.

David

Saijin_Naib

Oh Snap! XP SP2 tested stealth to all these tests (using IE7 [GASP! :o]):
File Sharing
Common Ports
All Service Ports
Messenger Spam
Browser Header (nothing suspicious).

Now to see how eCS fares.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.01.14, 17:54:02
Oh Snap! XP SP2 tested stealth to all these tests (using IE7 [GASP! :o]):
File Sharing
Common Ports
All Service Ports
Messenger Spam
Browser Header (nothing suspicious).

Now to see how eCS fares.

Nowadays, testing many of those ports isnt relevant because the ISP will filter them - so it isnt a good indication of whether those ports are open or not.

As for eCS, with it's firewall enabled, it's test results will pass with "Stealthed" on ALL ports. Without the firewall enabled, no ports will show as open, unless the user specifically opened them (for instance, my ports 80 and 21 show as open because I am running FTPD and a web server - on the other hand, my port 3306 shows stealthed as it is being blocked by OS/2's firewall - but is open to 1 other machine on the local network).

eCS/Warp do NOT open ports at all unless requested by the user by the user activating/running a service. How OS/2 responds to requests on closed ports will be determined by whether the firewall is running or not... it will ignore all requests on firewalled ports (and log the attempt if logging is enabled in the firewall), but that is it.

I've run the comprehensive test (one port block at a time) and tested all 65536 ports.

Saijin, you might want to try an OS/2 (or Windows) portscanning tool to scan the ports on your machines (eCS or Windows) from INSIDE your network, as that will give you a better idea of what is really opened to the Internet (because right now, the Shields Up page will only be able to give you information on the ports not being blocked by your ISP... and one never knows when an ISP will change what ports are being blocked on their end-user's behalf).

Quite honestly, the ISPs actions are an indication on just how massive the problem with Windows was (is). It got to the point that the ISP had to block all the insecure (and unsecurable) ports in Windows - because quite simply MS couldn't or wouldn't.

As an example of how horrendously MS handles such things, we have an XP machine on our network (latest fixes, service packs, etc), and NetBEUI (NetBIOS over TCPIP) is NOT enabled. My OS/2 boxes still log incoming attempts from the XP machine on a regular basis (ie: continuously), because even with the protocol disabled, XP STILL tries to talk to the world on that protocol.

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Okay, I was wondering if my ISP could be the source of the blocking, hence the want to check eCS next. I am on a University network right now, so Im not sure whether that means its very secure or not. Hey, this is good info. I didnt really know much about any of this.

chennecke

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.01.14, 13:16:18
I remember looking at this Scribus program that used to have a linky on the right-hand side of this site. (http://www.scribus.net/) Is that what desktop publishing is? Thinks like workflow and print layout, or Adobe InDesign type stuff? I think my friend does that kind of work.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, yes, the Windows XP firewall is not brilliant. But again, its free, and its very easy for me to use. It also has proven easy to get around, in the case of my recent pwnage from a Trojan (that I admittedly let get INTO my computer because I was not being cautious). At home, each computer is firewalled (software), and we have a firewall on our router with 128bit WEP on the wireless and I think my ISP firewalls our connection as well. Works good so far, I havnt seen any evidence from my router that any other ISP/MAC ID than my machines have been accessing it.

If your hardware supports it, use WPA encryption instead. WEP is very easy to crack nowadays.

Do I have to run the sysinst X: command against that archive once its extracted?

Most of the time you don't. I don't know about bootable JFS though.

Also, yeah, I guess the software isnt perfect (lol) but its nice to have because, unfortunately, since my switch to XP last year I have become much more of a whore for pretty GUIs. When I had win2k, I could care less, but now that I can skin XP to my liking with ease, well, I demand a bit more look out of my OS, and OS/2 does not deliver. With Styler/Lite, its decent, and with eSchemes, it looks like alot more could be possible. I may even try my hand at skinning it one day (once It works -_-). WPS-WIZARD provides me with tool-tips for objects (amazing!) and now, nice PNG icons. Awesome :)
OT be flooded upon install, setting up unsuspecting and noob users (ME!) for failure!

eSchemes is mostly an integration center for all the different GUI settings. There are some pretty good icon and window themes for standard eCS, i.e., without WPS-Wizard. David Graser did some amazing work last year. Go to Hobbes and try a search for "theme".