• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2-ECS compatible printers

Started by George T. Diller, 2007.05.14, 20:22:44

Previous topic - Next topic

George T. Diller

The lack of drivers for current printers is the greatest obstacle to my use of this operating system. I would be willing to purchase for a reasonable sum drivers for the Epson C88 and the Samsung ML 2010.

Eugene Tucker

Many of us would. That is to be sure. But for some reason OS/2 and eCS have not drawn the programmers that Linux seems to have drawn into it's ranks. But most of us vertern users have learned to be careful what you purchase. there have been suggested projects to get printer drivers but I think the Snap disaster fouled things up in the whole market for eCS.

Sander

Quote from: George T. Diller on 2007.05.14, 20:22:44
The lack of drivers for current printers is the greatest obstacle to my use of this operating system. I would be willing to purchase for a reasonable sum drivers for the Epson C88 and the Samsung ML 2010.

I'm pretty sure it was Paul Smedley who was working on a port of the UNIX print driver solution CUPS, the Common UNIX Printing System.  CUPS would by the best, most likely solution for OS/2 going forward, so I think there is indeed a bright light at the end of that tunnel.

Sander

Andrew Lee

You might be able to drive a Samsung ML-2010 using samsung_gdidrv.zip on Hobbes.  It's Ghostscript 8.13 with the badly named Samsung GDI (really Samsung SPL1) driver compiled in, and printmon.  According to http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-2010, this should work with the ML-2010.  The article
http://www.scoug.com/os24u/2005/scoug512.ink.html describes using this driver.

However, I haven't been able to get this to work with my ML-2510, which is very similar to the ML-2010.   Printmon always dies with an error message, and it's unclear what's the best way to set it up for a USB printer.  (What's the device name?  Or do I just create another printer object using a passthrough solely to redirect an LPTx port to it?)

Andrew Lee

Blonde Guy

The printer driver situation is disturbing, to be sure.

I looked at taking over Win32Prn, and I saw that the amount of work was way to much for the benefit.

If I had been paid my normal wage, it would have been cheaper to buy every user a postscript printer.

However, you mention the Epson C88 printer. I just bought an Epson C88+ printer, and it works very well with the old Epomni5 driver. If you tried this and failed, you may want to go back and try again. Especially make sure the paper size is correct, because if it is not, it may look like the printer driver does not work. I'm using mine over USB, but I imagine the parallel port works, too.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

RobertM

Quote from: George T. Diller on 2007.05.14, 20:22:44

I think the C88 is supported in the Epson Omni package (selecting the C80 or C82 or C84 or C86 - dont recall which and no longer have access to a C-Anything printer) though I am not sure, you might want to try the latest driver version and test it if you have the printer....

As for the Samsung, it *seems* to use a proprietary printer language (which may just be a minor variant of something else like PCL), but as there are numerous *nix drivers, CUPS (as previously suggested) may be or turn out to be a viable solution for this printer as well.

Good luck,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|