• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Adaptec 2120S support?

Started by kim, 2008.01.23, 22:35:53

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

Was trying to install eCS v2.0 RC4 onto a HP server and got stuck with that the Adaptec card isn't supported or it might just that I'm picking the wrong driver. So the question is if the Adaptec 2120S is supported?

kim

Oh well, guess that I can verify that this card doesn't work with the drivers provided for OS2. The card checker script that checks if one has a valid card actually verifies that there is a valid Adaptec U320 card present.... but that's as much fun I have.....

RobertM

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.01.26, 23:33:31
Oh well, guess that I can verify that this card doesn't work with the drivers provided for OS2. The card checker script that checks if one has a valid card actually verifies that there is a valid Adaptec U320 card present.... but that's as much fun I have.....

Hmmm.... is there a certain set of commandline switches you need to make it work?

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

kim

Well, there is actually a bunch of parameters that one can set but only the adapter id would be of interest, but then again I'm only running with one adapter. Only issue that I could think about would be that the Adaptec 2120S is a PCI-X (64-but PCI bus) card; but then again it shouldn't. Checking the documentation doesn't really give me any ideas.

RobertM

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.01.27, 19:53:54
Well, there is actually a bunch of parameters that one can set but only the adapter id would be of interest, but then again I'm only running with one adapter. Only issue that I could think about would be that the Adaptec 2120S is a PCI-X (64-but PCI bus) card; but then again it shouldn't. Checking the documentation doesn't really give me any ideas.

I'll check over the documentation and see if I notice something... that it's a PCI-X slot shouldn't matter... some of the Netfinity Servers came with them, and they were supported for Adaptec SCSI (which came with the Netfinity units). It is possible that the particular PCI-X chipset isn't supported... I'll see if I can find anything useful...

-Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Any way of checking the card and vendor ID? I wonder if it just isnt listed in the ID table for it...

Also, have you tried loading it with the /V parameter to see if it reports anything?

This may also be of interest and apply:

2.  On the IBM Granite and Opal servers with ServeRAID controller,
        the system BIOS automatically assigns IRQs and you may run into
        system hardware resources conflict issue when installing the
        U320 adapters. You can correct the problem by going into the
        system BIOS setup and manually reassign the PCI IRQs.

It would seem to indicate that the driver - or card - will run into issues if the card is sharing an IRQ... probably not an issue on other OS's... (I'm pretty sure that the above statement would apply to more than just IBM Server hardware...)

-R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

kim

About non supported PCI-X chipset; well that would mean that the board itself wouldn't be support and I highly doubt that. Also the PCI-X is backward compatible with standard PCI-slots so you can without any problem use a PCI-X card in a standard PCI-slot - it's just that you get the half of the supported transfer rate.

Well, it could actually just be as you say that the cards vendor id isn't recognised and if that would be the case and this could be fixed that would be really great! I'll give it a try tomorrow with pci sniffer to see what the system reports.

About IRQ I'll going to check that as well. Regarding teh IBM Granite and Opal servers would you know what Adaptec cards that are used there?

RobertM

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.01.27, 21:40:24
...Regarding teh IBM Granite and Opal servers would you know what Adaptec cards that are used there?

I would guess, like most of their recent series, they've come with U160, U320, ServerRaid (various configs), and fiber-channel... So - depends on how you get them configured. As for the particular models available, I dont know.

I cant find a reference to which of their server lines use which motherboard series.

The other thing I have noticed is that the IBM versions of the Adaptec Cards seem to support a lot of additional proprietary (IBM) SCSI RAID modes. That shouldn't be an issue with an non-IBM branded SCSI card.

If this driver set is the one from IBM's server page, then the card IDs are probably specifically for the IBM branded cards - so a change in card IDs in the list should hopefully resolve the issue...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

herwigb

Hi,

PCI-X should not be an issue, as Kim suggested, I have been running several PCI-X adapters (LAN, SCSI) with OS/2 without problems.

Just for the records, none of my adapters is an Adaptec 2120S, mine are Adaptec 29190, 29320 and Inter Pro/1000 adapters.

Kind regards,
Herwig B.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

kim

Okey, finally got around to use Craig Hart's PCI+AGP bus sniffer (v1.04vkA) to generate an output file from system with Adaptec 2120S (PCI-X) and another with a Adaptec 2100 (PCI); both cards are recognized. Hopefully this might be of help and if it would be possible to patch existing drivers that would be a blast!