• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

KMP run by icon & Drag-N-Drop

Started by RobertM, 2008.02.02, 16:38:26

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hey all,

I currently have a KMP icon on my desktop, which is associated with various media file types.

In addition, I often Drag-N-Drop media onto it to play it. When the media file stops playing, the KMP video window closes normally, but leaves open it's VIO window in a "completed" stage (ie: "Completed: KMP" in titlebar, followed by KMP's text mode output in the VIO window - see attached image).

The icon is set to "Start minimized" and "Close window on exit" but the VIO window, though started minimized, does not close on exit. I can only close it by selecting the "Tile" option on the Window List and then hitting the VIO window's close button (since the VIO window is already "completed", it can't be switched to in other fashions, such as xWP TaskBar or double-clicking on it on the Window List).

My question is, does anyone know how to change the behavior/action of the VIO window so it actually closes itself once the video window closes?

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

dryeo

What you can do is turn kmp.exe into a pure PM app. This means not having any console window associated with it at all. If you want to catch the output you have to redirect the output to a file.
You can use emxbind from the GCC 3.3.5 distribution like this (the one from EMX should work as well, untested here)
emxbind -e -p kmp.exe
or use exehdr from the toolkit like so
exehdr /PMTYPE:PM kmp.exe

cyber

Hi,
Anyone with 44.1 card can use resample option
"Support to resample 48KHz audio to 44.1KHz (experimental )" ?
If do, please help.

Pete

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.02.02, 16:38:26
Hey all,

I currently have a KMP icon on my desktop, which is associated with various media file types.

In addition, I often Drag-N-Drop media onto it to play it. When the media file stops playing, the KMP video window closes normally, but leaves open it's VIO window in a "completed" stage (ie: "Completed: KMP" in titlebar, followed by KMP's text mode output in the VIO window - see attached image).

The icon is set to "Start minimized" and "Close window on exit" but the VIO window, though started minimized, does not close on exit. I can only close it by selecting the "Tile" option on the Window List and then hitting the VIO window's close button (since the VIO window is already "completed", it can't be switched to in other fashions, such as xWP TaskBar or double-clicking on it on the Window List).

My question is, does anyone know how to change the behavior/action of the VIO window so it actually closes itself once the video window closes?

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Robert

Ummm...

You have it set so that it should close - works fine here, just tested to doublecheck.

Do any other VIO apps have the same problem?

If "Yes" could be an ini file glitch; might be worth a run at the ini files with checkini followed by cleanini just to see if that helps.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Hi Pete,

It SEEMS to close fine (and yes, it's set to "Close Window on Exit")... but pulling up the window list shows an entry still - and the "Window Monitor Thingy" on xWP shows a blank entry (no name) where it used to be. So, the session is closing, but just not closing the VIO window.

Trying to select it from the window list only works when right clicking on it and selecting "Tile" or "Cascade" - at which time you can hit the close button to close the window (which is labelled "Completed: KMP..."). I can duplicate the behavior on various machines.

Oh, I am not using the standard xWP task monitor - I am using lSwitcher on this one... but it doesnt seem to make any difference (as it still shows up in the Window List).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

I have noticed the same behavior with KMP and MPlayer on this computer as well, as of yet, I have simply dealt with it. I cant figure out how to "fix" it :\

Ben

The same problem was around with the WarpVision, unofficial releases. Though the official releases were fine, the unofficial builds always left a VIO window opened with no way of auto closing it.

Vlad addressed this issue and said it was a choice he made as only the official builds were meant for public use.

So it seems to be the choice of the person compiling it.

My guess is that if the person compiling KMP is reading this forum then he might choose to change this, however, it is outside of my skill set.

Also, I'm sure there are many who use OS/2 that can do it though... it's just a matter of finding one who's willing to take the time.

Pete

Hi Robert and Saijin_Naib

Are you both using e/xWorkplace?

I am not - maybe there is a setting somewhere in e/xWorkplace that affects behaviour of VIO window apps; check the Properties of the VIO windows as setup by e/xWorkplace.

Just a thought...

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2008.03.09, 05:30:11
Hi Robert and Saijin_Naib

Are you both using e/xWorkplace?

I am not - maybe there is a setting somewhere in e/xWorkplace that affects behaviour of VIO window apps; check the Properties of the VIO windows as setup by e/xWorkplace.

Just a thought...

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I am using xWorkplace... though other VIO windows close fine... sadly, I think Ben may have hit on the answer (thanks Ben). No biggie I guess... for now, I disabled minimizing the window so it is easier to retrieve and close.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Robert

Ben may have a point but if it works for me - and I did Not recompile kmp myself - then it should work for others.

If memory serves correctly the answer to the WVgui VIO window problem was to change the video2.exe header to a PM app using exehdr.exe - as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I have not done that to either kmp.exe or mplayer.exe but do not have any VIO windows left when those apps close; Start minimized and Close on exit VIO settings work fine here hence the suggestion to run ini file checker/cleaner.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2008.03.09, 18:17:43
Hi Robert

Ben may have a point but if it works for me - and I did Not recompile kmp myself - then it should work for others.

If memory serves correctly the answer to the WVgui VIO window problem was to change the video2.exe header to a PM app using exehdr.exe - as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I have not done that to either kmp.exe or mplayer.exe but do not have any VIO windows left when those apps close; Start minimized and Close on exit VIO settings work fine here hence the suggestion to run ini file checker/cleaner.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Already ran CleanINI, same results. Also, with "Close Window" and "Start Minimized" enabled, I dont see the VIO windows, but an entry remains in the (standard OS/2) Window List... the window isn't closable from there (right click->close), but is "restorable" by hitting "cascade" or "tile" - at which time the close button on the titlebar will work to close it.

Can you disable "Start Minimized" on yours and see if the VIO window dissappears when KMP's video window closes"?

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Robert

I unchecked Start minimized for the kmp object (K Player) and dropped an mpg clip onto it. When finished the VIO window remained open onscreen with a title of "Completed: K Player" - looks like "Close window on exit" applies only to the playback window.

However, it does not show in any Process/Window list here.

When running I have 2 Process/Window list entries: 1 for the KPlayer window and 1 for K Movie Player which is the playback window spawned by K Player.

Your kmp object is not a cmd script is it? If "Yes" maybe it needs an Exit at the end...

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2008.03.10, 03:05:24
Hi Robert

I unchecked Start minimized for the kmp object (K Player) and dropped an mpg clip onto it. When finished the VIO window remained open onscreen with a title of "Completed: K Player" - looks like "Close window on exit" applies only to the playback window.

However, it does not show in any Process/Window list here.

Hi Pete, it doesnt show on my process list either... but oddly shows up on the OS/2 Window List (WSeB - both machines).

I'm not sure it's an issue... but I dont know what resources OS/2 keeps open when a VIO window is "Completed" but not closed.

Quote from: Pete on 2008.03.10, 03:05:24
When running I have 2 Process/Window list entries: 1 for the KPlayer window and 1 for K Movie Player which is the playback window spawned by K Player.

Your kmp object is not a cmd script is it? If "Yes" maybe it needs an Exit at the end...

Regards

Pete

No... not a CMD script, but I was thinking about trying one to see if it would kill it (and if not, to auto kill it when it "completed" - assuming the script can register that fact since the VIO window isnt closed but is completed...

Dunno... and havent done anything in C/C++ for a decade - wouldnt even know where to begin to look to see if it is something in the code.

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|