• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Tuniac/2 Branch?

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.02.04, 15:38:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

all further discussion for Tuniac/2 will be here, so I can leave my PM123 and other people's threads alone lol :P
---------------------------------------------------------
Email to TonyMillion
Hey Tony! You definately dont know me, but I am a fan of Sonique (still use 1.96 and 2 beta3) as well as Tuniac, my favorite media manager! I am so excited to see that you picked it back up! I was wondering if you would possibly mind if Tuniac got ported/developed in kind for another platform (IBM OS/2 also called eComStation). We lack any sort of media manager on OS/2 so I was telling them how good Tuniac is and how it would be good to have something like it, if not Tuniac itself. Would you be adverse to someone making a Tuniac/2 branch so that us eComStation users can FINALLY have something as good as Tuniac?

Really excited to see whats up for the next version :)
Also, how do I get the .svp files to work with Tuniac? Never figured that out lol

Thanks for Sonique and Tuniac!
Brett

----------------------------------------------------------
Email From TonyMillion:
I don't mind a port to eCS, I probably wont be a lot of help with it, and vast portions will have to be rewritten. Its fairly heavily targeted towards windows. It might be worth taking the more cross platform v2 branch, and developing that.

First plan for the new tuniac dev is direct sound and audio engine improvements, vista fixes and GUI additions. Then, who knows....

To get SVPs to work you need to make sure you have the sonique vis renderer installed then copy the SVPs into the same folder, it should pick them up. Then switch to the visualizer, right click in the vis window and select the SVP renderer! then you should be seeing sonique visuals!. left/right arrows should pop up when you move the mouse to allow you to select the vis you want.
----------------------------------------------------------
Email to TonyMillion
Awesome, I had someone else (who ports/hacks alot of Java stuff for use with our old JRE) to take a look, and he said that the only real problem would be the GUI sections because it is compiled for Visual Studio. He said that database backend for the Tuniac Database would not be an issue since we have a native port of SQlite. Do you plan on using wxWidgets or QT at any point to handle the GUI? We have an old (3.something) version of QT and may have a QT 4 port soon. I'm not sure on wxWidgets however. In any case, I will relay this info over to the www.os2world.com boards so Magog can look over it. Thanks man, I've really enjoyed using Sonique and Tuniac and look forward to continuing that.

Also, for Tuniac, I have all my .svp files (but they are not in individual sub-folders) in the folder with the .svp dll, and if I switch to it, it just stays black. I have the 2006 build if that matters.
Thanks again Tony!
Brett
--------------------------------------------------------

Saijin_Naib

Email from TonyMillion
-------------------------------------
The problem being that V1 doesn't use SQLite it internally uses its own storage database. The GUI is windows specific, as is the audio playback engine all of which would have to be rewritted, V2 which does use SQLite and such isn't a primary concern at the moment, and as such wont be worked on for some time.

I have no plans on using any widget library other than the native gui elements for the platform I'm working on, as I find the abstractions between platforms means the end result is useless for everything.

there it a new build on source forge from 2008 try getting that. I dont know if the SVP renderer is included.. It should be, and then you should see the arrows when you move the mouse in the vis window.

smiley

I have tried Tuniac and I like it, I occasionally play music on some dances, of course with OS/2 I use PM123.

A media library would be very helpfull, but I would also ad a field for BPM(Beats per minute),
I have been googling and have found some useful open source tools that have a BPM counter, that could be used(ported) in OS/2(they use QT3 or QT4), here is a quick list:
http://bpmdj.yellowcouch.org/aftersplash.html
http://djplay.sourceforge.net/
http://mixxx.sourceforge.net/

Shai

I recompiled a small "manual" BPM counter (you have to click the button every beat) which is SDL based some time ago. I also ported Schism Tracker because I wanted to get into making music with tracker software (used a lot by artists I adore). I guess I should release that some day.
btw, also I was working on a small geeky music synthesizer: drumpiler.sourceforge.net (homepage is outdated, the real progress is in the subversion repository)
It is not written by me (at least not in the first place), I just picked it up and continued to develop it. It's a CLI program which can render a music score to a wav file or play it real time using SDL or OSS on Linux. One of the first things I did was porting it to OS/2 and making it Watcom compatible and more platform independent. It now builds on Windows, Linux, OS/2 and DOS (and probably a lot of other systems). Originally it was just a very simple drum machine but now it's a (more) complex tool and can be used to write melodies, it can read a lot of data formats, slice up samples etc. Also now it's an archaic programming language and you can generated certain sequences automatically/randomly. One of the last things I did was merging it with another very small multimedia project: a CLI time "line" based sample mixer (renamed to asampler).
I hope I can continue the development soon (very little time lately, you know job and study...) ... mutimedia software is still a bottle neck of OS/2 and eCS!

bits

Just to keep you guys posted there is 3 people interested to get Tuniac cross platform. With the possible goals amongst them being Mac and Linux with a QT interface. Is there any programmers from the os2 world that want to put their hand up as interested, just so there is numbers. It would be no walk in the park as Tuniac is very "Windows".

Saijin_Naib

Hey bits, it might be necessary for me to post a bounty so that someone will undertake the project, but, like you suggested, I need to see if anyone is even interested at all. It would be wonderful to have Tuniac for OS/2 :)

Saijin_Naib

Bounty Suggestion submitted. Will fund shortly.

miturbide

Hi

Now Tunic Bounty is open for sponsors
http://www.os2world.com/content/view/18315/71/

This thread had been moved to "Open Bounties".

Regards
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

bits

I wont indefinitely commit to larger financial support but if anyone was interested, I am willing for ideas of money requirements. When this is, is no issue but I at any time may ditch the idea.

I have no need for a OS/2 port but I am interested in the idea of a Tuniac port to another OS.

Note this is no job offer, the project will still need to be a hobby for the programmer and the money would only be a small incentive to complete the task at hand. I'd be open to the idea of dropping some features if it is seen to just be too hard. Basically if you meet an agreed functionality list, I'd consider the task complete.

If anyone willing wants to make a suggestion to what kind of funds they want to take on this project I'm open for suggestions.

Saijin_Naib

I agree with bits on this matter. If someone would even say it's possible and what they would like, I'd be more willing to put funds behind it. Money is rather tight for me right now and I'm not even using eCS anymore [leastwise not until 2.0 GA] but I would like to see this project complete for eCS to fill one of it's many software gaps.

miturbide

I received a comment from Salvador

He told me that Clementine is a QT4 open source app that will be nice to be ported to eCS-OS2.
http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Saijin_Naib

Yeah, Amarok is a decent Linux player. I'd say this would be nice to see on eCS if done properly.