• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

`I`m Glad That IBM Declined to Release the OS/2 Source`

Started by El Vato, 2008.02.08, 17:45:32

Previous topic - Next topic

ModZilla

Heaven, Mike, Nirvana, El Vato's OS2 Driver revelations, its all the same, depends on what framework you stuff your stream of conciousness into my friends, it may be hell when it doesn/t fly-when it does it is like a bird on a wing, if not, things don/t pan out so well, take your lumps and keep flyin  -as high as you can toward/from the GODHEAD or however you strike your core its all the same no matter how you perceive, @some point I suppose we're all struck from the same cpu our image shown brightly at the event horizon...no matter how dim a past just another day in paradise...and we get a glimpse of it all in one simple mind together war and peace its all just part of the whole schema which is like what RUSH used to say:
to go the distance first you got to last...we are becuz we are I am becuz you...

you fill in the blank/s

I didnt say Limbaugh, I hate politix y'all 'ave a great nite

MZ
there he goes tryin the green shinin' blue in the rain but wait hes not insane just indigooooo....
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

saborion2

Additionally,

Re:

QuoteHenry David would never have understood pure cut throat materialism driven by greed, so now its all been so softened by this guilt conciousness thing we all hide behind now, so in keeping with my mischeivious vagueries as some kind of not so e(m)boldened shield-I'll put it to ya this way: they aint got no GONADS dude!

Impressiona are made but fortunes? ... always lost [can't take it with you!]

Also, from an essay on : "Thinking Men":

Abstract
John Locke and Thomas Hobbes lived during a very turbulent century in Britain. Both men were great thinkers of their time, but held very different opinions on politics and many other facets of life and man. Both of these men were theorists on natural law and social contracts, but this is where the resemblance between the two ends. The time in which these two men lived can account for the pessimistic views of Hobbes on the nature of man and the ideal form of government. Locke, however, held very different views on these subjects, offering fairly more realistic and optimistic words about them. Locke believed that men are born with basic rights, while Hobbes believes that men are born with no rights at all. Locke theorized that, man will exist in peace, and will naturally exist to help himself survive and not get in the way of others in their identical pursuit....

So, from the above then let us substitute "Michael Reed" for "Hobbes"; and, "El Vato" for "Locke" while extending "Locke's" theory to the U.S. Constitution....; and, what are the conclusions? Whose "theory" (battle shield) to be taken to the bank - "Michael Reed's" or "El Vato's"?  ;D

And, lest we forget, this:

does it is like a bird on a wing, if not, things don/t pan out so well, take your lumps and keep flyin  -as high as you can toward/from the GODHEAD

So, I would personally say to El Vato - "fly" all the way home from whence you came and remembering always - to (Even "I" The "GODHEAD") as the "64-bit OS/2 Kernel (or should it be the "OS/3 Kernel) initiates.  ;)

It is said that - "Victory Can Be Sweet"!

Have a nice day.

Regards,

SAB

saborion2

Re:

Why they can't release the source

At the present time, even if IBM wanted to release the OS/2 source code it would be unlawful for them to do so. This is because they are not the sole owners of every part OS/2. OS/2 started as a joint project between IBM and Microsoft; because OS/2 contains code that belongs to both parties, IBM would have to convince Microsoft to also agree to the release. Microsoft would never do this.

Also, it seems probable that other companies, such as Adobe, have some of their work embedded within OS/2.

This raises the possibility of a partial source release. Obviously, an incomplete version of the source code would be insufficient to allow programmers to build and then distribute a working version of OS/2. In such a case, programmers would have to expend effort in recreating the missing parts from scratch. This would be a lot of work.

Even a partial release would be a lot of work for IBM. There is probably almost no part of OS/2 that doesn't include at least some code that belongs to other parties. Sorting out which bits are clear for a release would involve a code audit of every single line of the huge OS/2 code base.

As much open source goodwill as IBM may have, doing it as a favour to open source community simply isn't on the cards.

Therefore in accordance with this statement by El Vato:

QuoteNot all geeks are created equal

Ditto!  ;D

So, while companies like "Microsoft" go out of business "ideas" like eComStation (VOYAGER, CASSINI....) live on forever.

Best regards

SAB

ModZilla

guess you are spot on here, IBM does not need a big legal battle against anyone esp MS as it might mukety muck over the opensource standard , but there is a big hypothetical here, if you were CEO wouldnt you initiate a legal fight to get all the code released even though you might make some enemies in the process? In reality it is impossible to break all the code that is well, co owned at this point. I have read that some of the NT code came from there and alot of cross-company agreements have been drawn up way back when to protect both parties, ie  MS/IBM. God I hate to mention both in the same post...

Mz
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

saborion2

Quote from: ModZilla on 2008.07.27, 03:43:12
guess you are spot on here, IBM does not need a big legal battle against anyone esp MS as it might mukety muck over the opensource standard , but there is a big hypothetical here, if you were CEO wouldnt you initiate a legal fight to get all the code released even though you might make some enemies in the process? In reality it is impossible to break all the code that is well, co owned at this point. I have read that some of the NT code came from there and alot of cross-company agreements have been drawn up way back when to protect both parties, ie  MS/IBM. God I hate to mention both in the same post...

Mz

Hey "ModZilla",

What's this alll about; re:

Quoteif you were CEO wouldn't you initiate a legal fight to get all the code released even though you might make some enemies in the process?....

Just as it is stated in the engineering profession that there are people calling themselves as well as having other people calling them engineers (hint, hint...) so, in the business arena there must be people calling themselves as well as having other people calling them CEOs. (hint, hint....).

Never mind the:

Quoteyou might make some enemies in the process?

also:

QuoteI have read that some of the NT code came from there and alot of cross-company agreements have been drawn up way back when to protect both parties, ie  MS/IBM. God I hate to mention both in the same post...

As, at times in some military conflicts around the world "collateral damages"  ;D ;D ;D (like can be the cases of IBM, Intel....) during tactical and strategic strikes are unfortunately unavoidable. And, as "El Vato" said in the opening salvo et al:

Not all geeks are created equal.....

Also, "trash in" (like "geek crap" in) will always be "trash out" (like "geek crap" out)! (hint, hint....) 8)

We have only just begun!  ;D

Best regards.

SAB   

ModZilla

very good SAB! But its all about the marketing and what money that will get you and then you can have more marketing having spent the fruits of your labor and then more money from that, on and on upwards and onwards without reason.

saborion2

Hey ModZilla,

Re:

Quote from: ModZilla on 2008.08.27, 15:50:27
very good SAB! But its all about the marketing and what money that will get you and then you can have more marketing having spent the fruits of your labor and then more money from that, on and on upwards and onwards without reason.

Do ya think that's all you get? Don't you know that with the "fruits" of the successful marketing campaign you get round trip to the International Space Station with every possibility of the space vehicle (carrier rocket...) that you travel in was OS/2 supported.  ;D ::) ;D

You can ask a guy named "Paul"; and, if you will be satisfied with traveling shorter distances close to Earth then you can find out from a guy named "Bill" what is it like traveling in the "AirCars"  ;D ;D ;D

So much for the payment of the "r-o-y-a-l-t-i-e-s"!  8)

BTW, Have ya heard about a certain airline planning on dumping the "safety gears" that are normally aboard just in case one has to swim. (unlike having DESKTOPS we now have Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim - ETOPS). Just what is going on in the world of today?  ???

Have a nice day.

SAB

saborion2

Hi All,

Re:

QuoteDo ya think that's all you get? Don't you know that with the "fruits" of the successful marketing campaign you get round trip to the International Space Station with every possibility of the space vehicle (carrier rocket...) that you travel in was OS/2 supported.  Grin Roll Eyes Grin

You can ask a guy named "Paul"; and, if you will be satisfied with traveling shorter distances close to Earth then you can find out from a guy named "Bill" what is it like traveling in the "AirCars"  Grin Grin Grin

So much for the payment of the "r-o-y-a-l-t-i-e-s"!  Cool

BTW, Have ya heard about a certain airline planning on dumping the "safety gears" that are normally aboard just in case one has to swim. (unlike having DESKTOPS we now have Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim - ETOPS). Just what is going on in the world of today?  Huh

How do the "b-i-l-l-s" get paid if people work for free:

Re:

QuoteOne of the biggest backers of Linux has been Brazil's federal government, which has a stated preference for open-source software and has mandated its use in the program that helps subsidize financing for low-cost PCs.

"What interests the government is to give options, to give alternatives to the proprietary--to the almost monopolistic domain," said Augusto Cesar Gadelha, secretary general of Brazil's ministry of science and technology.

http://news.cnet.com/Brazils-love-of-Linux/2009-1042_3-6245409.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.0

Also, are there any (what if there are any) merits in this "Michael Reed's" article:

'I'm Glad That IBM Declined to Release the OS/2 Source'

http://www.osnews.com/story/19298/Im_Glad_That_IBM_Declined_to_Release_the_OS_2_Source

To each his/her own. So, where in the world are the OS/2 Developers to provide the OS/2 communities around the world with yet an alternative Operating System to Windows and Linux??  ???

Have a nice day.  8)

Best regards,

SAB