User Groups > OS2 User Groups

How can we sense the pulse of OS/2-eCS Community on Social Network Tools ?

(1/3) > >>

miturbide:

I think the subject said it all.

For example I had been checking out orkut.com (Google) and I found OS/2 Community with 81 members and eComStation Community with 20 members.

There is a lot of people from Brazil, I even found Daniel Caetano and Mike Kaply there ;)

So, how do you think it is a good idea to sense the pulse of OS/2-eCS users on social networking tools ? how do you suggest to keep tracking of this communities ? Any other nice OS/2-eCS community arround?

Ben:
Greetings.

There is a basic problem with getting the pulse of the OS/2-eCS community.

OS/2 users are non-typical, and distinct from the masses.

They tend to be much smarter than the average computer user, more aware of what's going on, and more concerned with privacy issues. Hence their choice of OS/2.

Hence, a very large number of us have problems with posting, (or getting involved with a community that requires), personal information display-and-distribution, that is open to the masses and regularly scanned by major corporations, and the private-data harvesters.

For example, most of us, (even here), are reluctant to use our real names.

Most of us use small, often private, networks for interaction... like the eCS IRC Network, for example, or the eComstation newsgroups which are privately owned and operated and not generally known to, or accessed by, the public at large. So you'll find only a very few of us in the big, data harvesting, privacy-violation-based, Windows founded, social-conditioning communities.

Of course, I'm not one of those weirdos... I'm normal  ;D

Saijin_Naib:
So os/2 people are overly paranoid?  ???

miturbide:

:D :D :D ... good one Ben. You really make me laugh.   :D :D :D

saborion2:
Re: "For example I had been checking out orkut.com (Google) and I found OS/2 Community with 81 members and eComStation Community with 20 members.

There is a lot of people from Brazil, I even found Daniel Caetano and Mike Kaply there Wink

So, how do you think it is a good idea to sense the pulse of OS/2-eCS users on social networking tools ? how do you suggest to keep tracking of this communities ? Any other nice OS/2-eCS community around?"

Re: "Historical Users"

"OS/2 was widely used in Brazil government institutions. Banco do Brasil had a peak 10,000 machines running OS/2 Warp in the 90s. OS/2 continues to serve automated teller machines in the country.

OS/2 also was widely adopted by accounting professionals and auditing companies. In mid-90's native 32bit accounting software were well developed and serving corporate market.

OS/2 was used by radio presenter Howard Stern. He once had a 10 minute on-air rant about OS/2 vs Windows 95 and recommended OS/2. He also used OS/2 on his IBM 760CD laptop".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2

Question: So, from the above mentioned referenced article... just what happened with/to all the OS/2 Engineers in Brazil that helped to maintain the OS/2 Operating Systems that were used by the "Brazilian Government Institutions". "Banco do Brasil" et cetera et cetera; have they all been killed off; or, have they all died naturally.  :( :-X 8)!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version