• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Slow boot process

Started by Carlo_Warp, 2008.02.29, 22:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

Maybe there are other \MMOS2 und uniaud instances in the config.sys which you can try to REM out. This would make absolutly clear, that the problem is or is not audio related.

On the other hand, does your network even work after boot? If not, it is most likely a network timeout it think.  The \ibmcom\lantran.log maybe gives some hints in this case.

Carlo_Warp

I have attached my Lantran.log file. I will try more solutions later.

Quote from: Andi on 2008.03.06, 13:45:14
Maybe there are other \MMOS2 und uniaud instances in the config.sys which you can try to REM out. This would make absolutly clear, that the problem is or is not audio related.

On the other hand, does your network even work after boot? If not, it is most likely a network timeout it think.  The \ibmcom\lantran.log maybe gives some hints in this case.

Carlo_Warp

I applied your suggestion; I put a Rem in front of dhcpstart and I added the new line ifconfig lan0 169.254.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 but my router was unable to connect to the internet.

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.03.04, 15:03:28

Just for the fun of it... how about editing your setup.cmd and
- put a REM in front of the "dhcpstrt..."-line (meaning it should read "REM dhcpstrt..." afterwards)
- add a new line that reads "ifconfig lan0 169.254.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0" (without quotes)
save the file and (re-)boot the machine?

This assigns a static IP to your lan0 interface and will tell us if there is any problem with DHCP (because now, DHCP wouldn't be used any more)... To revert, simply re-edit the setup.cmd, delete the added "ifconfig"-line and remove the "REM" in front of the dhcpstrt -line.

RobertM

If you have a Windows machine on the network, see what it's IP address is (IPCONFIG at a commandline will tell you). Try either using TCPCFG2 or the line above to create a static IP entry (and associated routing info) to correspond with an IP in that same IP block that is not used...

For instance, if your Windows machine is 192.168.1.10 try:
ifconfig lan0 192.168.1.150 netmask 255.255.255.0

or set up the info in TCPCFG2 for "static IP" filling in that number and netmask in the appropriate fields, and then create a routing entry on the appropriate tab for the router (which should be 192.168.1.1 in that example).

Hope that helps...
-Robert

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2008.03.07, 22:16:48
I applied your suggestion; I put a Rem in front of dhcpstart and I added the new line ifconfig lan0 169.254.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 but my router was unable to connect to the internet.

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.03.04, 15:03:28

Just for the fun of it... how about editing your setup.cmd and
- put a REM in front of the "dhcpstrt..."-line (meaning it should read "REM dhcpstrt..." afterwards)
- add a new line that reads "ifconfig lan0 169.254.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0" (without quotes)
save the file and (re-)boot the machine?

This assigns a static IP to your lan0 interface and will tell us if there is any problem with DHCP (because now, DHCP wouldn't be used any more)... To revert, simply re-edit the setup.cmd, delete the added "ifconfig"-line and remove the "REM" in front of the dhcpstrt -line.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2008.03.06, 23:14:41
I have attached my Lantran.log file. I will try more solutions later.

Hi

Your lantran.log has 2 errors showing that suggest there is a problem:-

SYS0318: Message file \MPTN.MSG cannot be found for message  0001.

SYS0318: Message file \MPTN.MSG cannot be found for message  0003.

That message file, mptn.msg, should be in [BootDrive]:\mptn\bin - change [BootDrive] to whatever is correct for your system.

Does the config.sys file have a PATH entry for [BootDrive]:\MPTN\BIN; ? - it should have.

Knowing what the above errors are may be of help  :-)

Regards

Pete

Carlo_Warp

Finally I got an unexpected solution!

I decided to install the last Amouse driver and after the reboot I never had the 30 seconds pause again.
The problem was the mouse driver...

Thank you for your suggestions related to the network.

Hi

Your lantran.log has 2 errors showing that suggest there is a problem:-

SYS0318: Message file \MPTN.MSG cannot be found for message  0001.

SYS0318: Message file \MPTN.MSG cannot be found for message  0003.

That message file, mptn.msg, should be in [BootDrive]:\mptn\bin - change [BootDrive] to whatever is correct for your system.

Does the config.sys file have a PATH entry for [BootDrive]:\MPTN\BIN; ? - it should have.

Knowing what the above errors are may be of help  :-)

Regards

Pete
[/quote]