• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Windows-based cash machines 'easily hacked'

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2008.03.05, 16:02:50

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6233030.html
"Security experts have hacked ATMs to show how easy it is to steal money and bank account details from modern cash machines. "

IMO; I think they should go back to using OS/2. I would feel safer.  8)

warpcafe

Hi,

well... reading through this article I must admit that what they call "hacked" does not exactly match what we think about when someone says "hack"... you see: Breaking up the cash compartment -even if by simple means- has nothing to do with OS security.
Sniffing on the traffic with whatever device does not mean "hacking" to me either - moreover, it has nothing to do with this-OS-is-better-than-that... they are all just as good as you make them. If the traffic is not encrypted, even "hacking" an OS/2 ATM is simple to put it that way.

What I would have expected from the headline is that somebody was able to load a spyware of keylogger piece of software onto the ATM or hack it via its IP adress over the network, injecting pieces of data and make it dispense dollar bills. THAT's what I call "hacking an ATM". And that was not done.

regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

Well, there were other issues they noted as well - but the article, even with the pro-OS/2 paragraph, seems to have glossed over them and focused on the things that are not Windows or new software related. The other stuff that they didnt spend as much time on were the worms that infiltrated the ATM network through Windows machines (through exploits in Windows) and the fact that the new setup uses apparently no encryption making it very easy to use a packet sniffer to read a customer's data (with the exception of the PIN number - which is the only thing encrypted).

-R

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Robert Deed

OS/2 ATM machines were very rarely externally accessible, most were not even communicating on TCP/IP.  When they started switching them over to tcpip they usually used something similar to injoy firewall in order to keep them secure.

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.03.06, 10:41:22
Hi,

well... reading through this article I must admit that what they call "hacked" does not exactly match what we think about when someone says "hack"... you see: Breaking up the cash compartment -even if by simple means- has nothing to do with OS security.
Sniffing on the traffic with whatever device does not mean "hacking" to me either - moreover, it has nothing to do with this-OS-is-better-than-that... they are all just as good as you make them. If the traffic is not encrypted, even "hacking" an OS/2 ATM is simple to put it that way.

What I would have expected from the headline is that somebody was able to load a spyware of keylogger piece of software onto the ATM or hack it via its IP adress over the network, injecting pieces of data and make it dispense dollar bills. THAT's what I call "hacking an ATM". And that was not done.

regards,
Thomas

RobertM

Yeah, they used to use CM/2... but no, they did become externally accessible when many were moved onto the Internet - they were just secured (network wise) better - something the new ATMs apparently arent.

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.03.06, 23:53:29
OS/2 ATM machines were very rarely externally accessible, most were not even communicating on TCP/IP.  When they started switching them over to tcpip they usually used something similar to injoy firewall in order to keep them secure.

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.03.06, 10:41:22
Hi,

regards,
Thomas

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|