• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Open Office for eCS-OS/2 2.4 Beta1

Started by Andi710, 2008.03.19, 08:18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

saborion2

Ditto. ;) "Lets hope that the OS/2 version became GA soon". The question from us at this end is whether or not the soon to be GA Version of "Open Office" has integrated - the Economic Rate of Return (ERR) Functionality that was previously mentioned in this thread.  :-X

Also, why does it appear that almost anything OS/2 has to be the "last" as if it is - "Saving The Best For Last?"  :(

Saijin_Naib

Judging by how A) outdated B) crippled and C) slow our releases of OO have been, they certainly are NOT saving the best for last.

saborion2

On the other hand; and, in relation to; re: "Judging by how A) outdated B) crippled and C) slow our releases of OO have been, they certainly are NOT saving the best for last". The OS/2 Operating System and Applications that run under OS/2 do not have to necessarily be just like the rest of the OSes (the question of "Different Strokes" For "Different Folks"...  ;D ) The reasons why it was read quite recently that there are now some 12,000 distributions of the Linux Operating System.  ???

Saijin_Naib

What has that to do at all with the fact that our ONLY office suite worth anything is outdated, cripled, and slow? Nothing. I mean sure, if you are okay with using an operating system with crap software, be my quest. OSX isnt too expensive. But really, come on now, having sub-par versions of software compared to the SAME software on other OSs does NOTHING to help eCS or attract new users. Be realisitc.

saborion2

You said; "What has that to do at all with the fact that our ONLY office suite worth anything is outdated, crippled, and slow? Nothing. I mean sure, if you are okay with using an operating system with crap software, be my quest". Firstly, here is a quote from another discussion forum for you; "However, we already have OpenOffice 2 and Lotus SmartSuite is still a far, far better suite. Symphony has a lot of catching up to do..."

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/supportThread.jspa?threadID=2715&tstart=1

So, from the above - I did not have to be the one talking about it/them but someone else; and, that was about Lotus SmartSuite. How about explaining how much so the tasks that you have at hand are so *sophisticated* that an application like Lotus SmartSuite for OS/2 will not allow you to complete it adequately.  :-X

"Lotus SmartSuite 1.7 for OS/2"

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotus/products/smartsuite/os2features.html

All for your kind information about yet another *legendary* alternative Office suite for the OS/2 Operating System.  ;)

Saijin_Naib

That suite is non functional as far as I am concerned. Its outdated and its not free. For another thing, it is worthless in an academic environment as it can not read/write the document formats that I need and encounter on a daily basis. I dont know why you think that stagnation is a good thing for this OS, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. Also, Symphony IS good, but its based upon SWTSwing which we do not yet have a good enough version to make Symphony run. OO is our only real option, and its a poor one in the shape it is in now.

saborion2

Your arguments appear to be without merits or your are not very familar with other sections of this OS/2 World web site since you have said  among other things; "I don't know why you think that stagnation is a good thing for this OS, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. Also, Symphony IS good, but its based upon SWTSwing which we do not yet have a good enough version to make Symphony run. OO is our only real option, and its a poor one in the shape it is in now".

While it is not known exactly what your current occupation is at this time and how many trade shows, seminars... you attend - what can be said to you is that if you were following the Lotus Development Corporation's strategies over the the years you might have known that they are having what is called a "Development Continuum" and from what was gathered quite recently is that the "Open" Lotus SmartSuite strategy which was embarked upon over a year ago has now morphed into Lotus Symphony and quite different from what you are saying here is what one is able to do with Lotus Symphony currently: 

Quote; "Are you a Developer interested to learn more? The new IBM Lotus Symphony Developer's Toolkit for creating plug-ins and powerful composite applications is here. So, whether you are a IBM® Lotus® Notes® developer using LotusScript or a Java developer on Eclipse, you have the ability to leverage Lotus Symphony in your business applications".

"Get the Developer Toolkit"

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa

Also, this is what is known about SWT:

"SWT is the software component that delivers native widget functionality for the Eclipse platform in an operating system independent manner.  It is analogous to AWT/Swing in Java with a difference - SWT uses a rich set of native widgets.  Even in an ideal situation, industrial strength cross platform widget libraries are very difficult to write and maintain.  This is due to the inherent complexity of widget systems and the many subtle differences between platforms.  There are several basic approaches that have helped significantly to reduce the complexity of the problem and deliver high quality libraries.  This article discusses one of them, the low level implementation techniques used to implement SWT on different platforms".

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-SWT-Design-1/SWT-Design-1.html

Additionally, to/in your mind... What do you think are the reasons why the following "BOUNTIES" were sponsored?  ???

1.  " SWTSwing ($175) - (2007.08.02)"

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14799/71/

2.   "Eclipse.org Standard Windowing Toolkit (SWT) OS/2 Port ($125)"

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/340/71/

3.  " Native OS/2 Port of Lotus Notes (Hannover) ($50) - (2007.04.13)"

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/347/71/

4.  " OS/2 native port of Java 6 ($340) - (2006.02.19)"

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/337/71/

5.  " OS2 & eCS kernel ($75) - (2007.03.15)"

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/346/71/

All in all, it may take time; but, eventually we will complete the journey with OS/2.  ;)

Have a nice day!

djcaetano

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.03.28, 07:57:52
That suite is non functional as far as I am concerned. Its outdated and its not free. For another thing, it is worthless in an academic environment as it can not read/write the document formats that I need and encounter on a daily basis. I dont know why you think that stagnation is a good thing for this OS, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. Also, Symphony IS good, but its based upon SWTSwing which we do not yet have a good enough version to make Symphony run. OO is our only real option, and its a poor one in the shape it is in now.

I've been Lotus SmartSuite user for a long time now. All I can say is: it is worthless because you don't know how to use it.
  The only real complain I have about SmartSuite is the fact its solver has not support to "maximize" or "minimize", just goal seek  mode. But this is a limitation present on recent OO too: it only has "goal seek". And hey, I am an academic. I am working to get my Ph.D in Operations Research. But, in that case, I don't use Excel either. I simply run my copy of LINGO and everything is fine :D .

Anyway, I was forced to use Microsoft-Office-Crappy-Edition-Vista-Without-Menus sometimes, due to braindead-heads that saved documents in that bizarre DOX format; but I would like to say that time is long forgotten... since I discovered http://www.zamzar.com/ .

Besides, most papers I get are in PDF format. So, no real problem, since we have decent readers for OS/2 (IMHO, Lucide has some interface problems, but is far better than any Acrobat Reader for Windows, simply because it's FAST!).

Oh, yes. Lotus SmartSuite is outdated. Yes. The last major version was about 5 years ago. Well, the last real improvement on Microsoft Word came about 10 or 15 years ago (Office95?). The following "major releases" only made it bigger and looks different (sometimes better, sometimes worse) and bring some crappy tools (MS PhotoEditor, MS Bob, MS Outlook Express and a miriad of stupid applications and utilities MS was able to create in the last 15 years, but was not able to sell, so it pushed them with their only real average to good package: MS Office).

I don't define a program as "better" simply because it is *new*, but if it brings new useful features. And nothing MS added in the last 4 or 5 Office incarnations play that role for me. In fact, it's quite the contrary.

Saijin_Naib

Thank you Sab, for linking me to things on OS2world I am already aware of! Im so glad that you have a working JRE and SWT and you are using Lotus Symphony right now! I said that OO is our only option really, and that is because we dont have other options that exist right now. Sure, Lotus Suite from god knows how long ago is a great tool for general document work, but in an environment where all my work is disseminated in DOC/DOCX, or PPT etc, it holds no value for me. Open Office can work with these formats, and for that, it holds value.

Now, for DOCX, its a great format. Its typically half the size of the same document in DOC, and about 1/3 the size of the same document in ODF.

Lucide is fast, its a great tool. However, it doesn't support everything Adobe Reader does, and I have run across some documents it can not render. For a fast reader for Windows, use Foxit. It beats Adobe PDF 10 to 1.

DJ, as for the new Office, I am not a fan of the ribbon, but its okay. I use OfficeXP for this reason. However, the newer offices have good support for things that I need to do and make it very easy to do so, for instance, Pivot tables, which I use a lot in my ecological work.

But again, whatever works for you. I think its great we have so many bounties sitting here. But some have not been worked on, for years. I would like to link you to a discussion here about improving the bounty system and dealing with its downfalls, but I think its irritating how you love to link to random stuff Sab, so I will restrain myself. You know where to find that discussion.

To surmise, we have a ton of great projects that are not making progress, and the intent to progress does NOT equal progress, and so, we are dealing with stagnation. It's quite simple really.

saborion2

Hi Saijin_Naib, Re: "Thank you Sab, for linking me to things on OS2world I am already aware of! I'm so glad that you have a working JRE and SWT and you are using Lotus Symphony right now!" Hey, how else can one find it convenient to present what is apparently not being taken under consideration (hope this is not a deliberate attempt to sweep the dust "under" the carpet...) on the other hand is it fair for others to do your research for you?

Now, back to your assumptions with regards to "I'm so glad that you have a working JRE and SWT and you are using Lotus Symphony right now!"

This is what can be remembered and just in case it may be of interest to you.  ???

"Eclipse Enabler (eComStation and OS/2 only)

With the Eclipse Enabler package using SWTSwing and the Eclipse on Swing (EOS) plugin, the last Eclipse SDK 3.2.2 (Windows) can be used on eComStation (eCS) and OS/2.

The Eclipse Enabler package includes an installation script to create desktop icons, start scripts for easy usage and Eclipse on Swing (EOS) which includes SWTSwing. There are also some additional Java Look'n'Feel classes included.

http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/content/projects/ports/index.en.html#eclipseenabler

Also, "To surmise, we have a ton of great projects that are not making progress, and the intent to progress does NOT equal progress, and so, we are dealing with stagnation. It's quite simple really". There is a saying that "The Longest Journey Begins With The First Few Steps"; and, if the sponsoring of bounties for "a ton of great projects" are indicative of those "first few steps" (and putting it however "Saijin_Naib" would like) then that "long journey" (though sometimes difficult) has begun for some.  ;)

Enjoy!

Saijin_Naib

Not quite sure I get the meaning of your first paragraph Sab, but I'll leave that be for now.

I am aware of the Eclipse Enabler, its what you need to use Azereus. I've used it before, and as I've said before, it does not work for Lotus Symphony, does it? Can you go get Lotus Symphony working right now? No? Then, its not an option for use, is it?

There is another saying as well (adapted), "man can not live by wishes alone". Its good that we have these first few steps, and a vision, but visions will NOT serve to attract new blood NOR prolong the life of the OS. We have to have deliverables.

magog

The main problem that Lotus Symphony or Notes are not working is the lack of a current Java Runtime (1.6).
There is the Java 1.5.0_07 hack but I wasn't very successfull when I tried to get Eclipse 3.3 (which needs Java 1.5) running with the Eclipse on Swing plugin.
I also wasn't able to use Azureus 3.x which also needs Java >=1.5.0.

Maybe I can get the above stuff working when I spend enough time on it, but there are far more interesting projects I would like to work on.

For Lotus Notes I have to say that Notes is too big and too ugly to be usefull. There are Groupware solutions available that seem to be far better to use.

I've done some Open-Xchange development within the last 3 years. The old OX Server 5 (currently v0.8.6-x) code is very ugly and it's no fun working on it as it's totally undocumented Java code, but I is possible to get it working on OS/2 is you spend some time on it. It's also VERY stable!

The upcoming new OX 6 (totally rewritten by 1&1 - a big german internet provider) looks goods but some functionality is missing at the moment. The new OX was first released as Hosting Edition one year ago but there is also the Express Edition available.
http://www.open-xchange.com/
Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

saborion2

Re:
QuoteThe main problem that Lotus Symphony or Notes are not working is the lack of a current Java Runtime (1.6).
There is the Java 1.5.0_07 hack but I wasn't very successfull when I tried to get Eclipse 3.3 (which needs Java 1.5) running with the Eclipse on Swing plugin.
I also wasn't able to use Azureus 3.x which also needs Java >=1.5.0.

Maybe I can get the above stuff working when I spend enough time on it, but there are far more interesting projects I would like to work on.

For Lotus Notes I have to say that Notes is too big and too ugly to be usefull. There are Groupware solutions available that seem to be far better to use.

It is quite interesting and good to know that you have been working on projects to have "Lotus Symphony or Notes" and Lotus SameTime running on OS/2 via the Eclipse on Swing plugin which requires Java Runtime (1.6). So, what happens in a scenario in which a particular enhancement is required to make one of these application really serve its usefulness in that particular case.  ;)