• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Resource.sys trap - eCS 2.0 RC4

Started by miturbide, 2008.03.19, 19:50:15

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Hi

I successfully installed a dual boot system (boot manager) on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (with Intel Centrino Pro). Both OS where working fine, but on the last days I had been unable to load eComStation.

When I choose eCS from the Boot manager menu, it starts and trap on resource.sys.

Exception in Module: Resource
Trap 0003
Syslevel is 14.104a.SMP

Does anybody has any tip on what to move/change to try to fix this resource.sys trap ?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

RobertM

Possibly... just possibly... something changed the resource allocations of some piece of hardware in a way that the OS/2 driver cannot deal with? Or you have something else in the machine now? (PC Card?) Or you have something else enabled in the machine that was previously disabled?

Sorry I dont have any real suggestions - but I have seen similar issues with some sound card unless the values were properly set using a Windows install (until an OS/2 config "driver" was written for it).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Robert Deed

I'm guessing this was from a cold boot?  I know that sometimes XP can mess things up if you do a warm boot. 

It's strange that you didn't change anything and are experiencing this problem, do you know if you have the machine setup to do a full hardware scan at every boot or not?

Quote from: miturbide on 2008.03.19, 19:50:15
Hi

I successfully installed a dual boot system (boot manager) on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (with Intel Centrino Pro). Both OS where working fine, but on the last days I had been unable to load eComStation.

When I choose eCS from the Boot manager menu, it starts and trap on resource.sys.

Exception in Module: Resource
Trap 0003
Syslevel is 14.104a.SMP

Does anybody has any tip on what to move/change to try to fix this resource.sys trap ?

rudi

Quote from: miturbide on 2008.03.19, 19:50:15

Try to remove \OS2\BOOT\PREVIOUS.DAT

kim

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.03.20, 06:47:01I'm guessing this was from a cold boot?  I know that sometimes XP can mess things up if you do a warm boot.

Actually I can confirm this on two different system; both T60 and a ABit P4 system has that issue that if I reboot the system, ie warm boot then most of the times neither system won't start. But, if I makes a clean cold boot both system boots up as they should.

David McKenna

Read this: http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=1982  This problem is acknowledged, and a possible fix available...

kim

Quote from: David McKenna on 2008.03.20, 18:11:02
  Read this: http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=1982  This problem is acknowledged, and a possible fix available...

Would you mind to copy & paste from above; don't have access to above...

David McKenna

Sure, Kim...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0001982: TRAP in resource.sys
Description    A bug opened but also a fix has been made for it.

2 or 3 years ago on the PDD mailing list there was a discussion about
a trap somebody got in resource.sys. It turned out his previous.dat was broken.
Previous.dat (for what ever reason) gets broken sometimes when its updated.
Previous.dat is read by resource.sys if its not there, it gets created by a DLL when the PMSHELL starts up. It also gets refreshed if you do a full hardware detection.

With the introduction of ACPI we default to full hardware detection.
This is set with a flag in previous.dat (hwmerge does this). The chance of previous.dat getting corrupted is higher because we run a full hardware every boot. Gerrit encountered this with a machine. That bad thing is that nothing works except boot from CD and remove previous.dat. Booting via ALT F1->F2 will not help because always resource.sys will load previous.dat.

resource.sys I made small patch it now looks for previous.acp.
Because it does not find it will always do a full hard detection.
This has been verified by modifying snoop.lst and add a garbage name in the snoop.lst file. When it does a full hardware detection it processes snoop.lst.
Disable full hardware detection (ALT F1->F6) it does not show the error message.

Previous.dat in that way will every time get updated.

Attached is the patched version.
It needs to be installed when ACPI is selected for installation.
It needs to be installed in phase 2 (first boot from hard disc) at the latest.

There is also bug in the kernel when you do a full hardware detection and there is no text output of drivers that it hangs (the system) it sits in a loop. This is also prevented by the output of the ACPI.PSD.

Its not required that the patched resource.sys
This version of resource.sys does not need to be placed on the memdisc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A patched RESOURCE.SYS is also provided, but I don't think I should spread it around.....

miturbide

Thanks you very much.

Removing the PCMCIA card, the cold boot and the Alt+F1 -> F6 didn't work.

But the deletion of the "previous.dat" solve the problem.

Thanks !!
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com