• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

JRE 1.5.0_07 under eComStation

Started by abwillis, 2008.03.21, 03:24:15

Previous topic - Next topic

abwillis

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/17208/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Tuesday, 26 February 2008

[a name. .. .
I finally got around to trying this.  The ar5os2 usage was a bit of a pain so what I did was rename the java142 directory and replace it with the files in jre 1.5.07.  I then copied java.exe, javaw.exe, and j2win.dll from java142 and have been successful running java the same as I did with 1.4.2.
e:\programs[0]java -version
java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-b03, mixed mode)

Andy

David McKenna

Hmmm.... I wonder if this could be made to work with OpenOffice??

David McKenna

So far, this approach works well with Java Apps. The Mozilla plugin does not work though... may need some re-arranging of files? I also noticed that you need to copy some font files from the 1.4.2 version to the 1.5.0.

Pete

Hi All

I had a play with the suggestion to replace the java150_07 files java.exe, javaw.exe, and j2win.dll with those from java142. Seems to work OK with a copy of Phex that requires java1.5 but I have not tried anything else yet; it is certainly better than ar5os2.exe hanging at exit which happens a lot when using that technique to run apps using java1.5

I do seem to have encountered some strange, possibly font related problem, with a game called freesudoku. When I click on the Start button the app should produce a puzzle. It certainly goes through the motions but no numbers are visible. The game "thinks" the numbers are visible because I am not able to select some of the number entry squares. This game works fine with java14x. Any ideas?

Plugins got mentioned.

Simple reason the java150_07 plugins do not work is the lack of plugin "wrapper". With the Innotek Java14x packages the "plugins", npj2*.dll files, copied to the Mozilla Plugins directory are not really plugins - they are "wrappers" for the real plugins, NPJava*.dll files, which you will find in either java142\bin or java142\jre\bin depending on whether you have the JRE or SDK version installed. Check the real plugin file sizes against the "wrapper" file sizes if you doubt this.

No idea if the plugin "wrappers" from java142 can be made to work with java15 plugins...

I suspect that editing all the npj2*.dll files involved and changing anything that looks like this "*$ 1.4.2_09" to "*$ 1.5.0_07" is a starting point. Then I guess java1.5 would need the same "OS/2 Kit for Java" entries in the Registry/Ini files as java142 but with the path pointing to java150_07 location.

Finally, delete existing java142 "plugins" from the Mozilla directory and copy the above modified plugin wrappers - and a final "finally": locate and delete the file pluginreg.dat from either within the Mozilla program directory tree or the directory above wherever the SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH= points to.

All the above plugin deleting and copying should be done with the Mozilla product not running.

If I have not missed anything starting a Mozilla browser should let you know if the idea is a "goer"   :-)

Regards

Pete