• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OFF TOPIC: Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors

Started by saborion2, 2008.09.01, 18:40:51

Previous topic - Next topic

saborion2

Does anyone remember this "comment" now quoted in part before the "WALL STREET BAILOUT PLAN:

Re:

SAB, are you seriously back in this thread with THAT??

First, DUDE, it's 2008!  No one in their right mind uses a spreadsheet to "run" their business.  A spreadsheet is a tool.

Second, DUDE, it's 2008!  No technology is safe from obsolescence.  If you're REALLY this fixated on obsolescence, what on G-d's green earth are you doing in an OS/2 forum?  Do you REALLY view OS/2 or it's eCS distribution as "safe" from obsolescence?

Third, DUDE, it's 2008!  In case you've been living under a rock, Microsoft won the war.  If we are talking about de facto standards in the business world, the Excel file format (by virtue of it's ubiquity if nothing else) is it.  Last time I checked, current versions of Excel do not run under OS/2 natively.  That is what filters are all about, and with the latest updates, I have no problem using Lotus 123 for viewing, sharing, or saving files in Excel format.  I use spread sheets a LOT as a financial tool.  This may astound you, but newer is not always better.  There are professionals using 123 simply because they prefer it.  That includes the manager of my local Washington Mutual Bank (though the bank is standardized on Excel), and my accountant, both of whom I have shared spreadsheets with.  My broker uses Excel.  I have no problem converting his files, or editing and returning them to him in Excel format.  Furthermore, businesses (especially big business) do not routinely upgrade software just because there is a new version out, unless there is a business advantage to the upgrade.  Software is not a hobby in the business world.

This was perhaps the TSUNAME (SPREADSHEET) WAVE that he did not see coming:

JPMorgan Chase acquires the deposits, assets and certain liabilities of Washington Mutual's banking operations

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/cm/BlobServer?blobtable=Document&blobcol=urlblob&blobkey=name&blobheader=application/pdf&blobwhere=jpmc/pdfdoc/JPMC-WaMu_final.pdf

Maybe this poor dude "SANDER" that made this comment got wash out to sea by the crushing waves that swallowed up (engulfed) WALL STREET and other parts of the INTERNATIONAL SHORELINES?  8)

saborion2

Re:

QuoteMaybe this poor dude "SANDER" that made this comment got wash out to sea by the crushing waves that swallowed up (engulfed) WALL STREET and other parts of the INTERNATIONAL SHORELINES?  8)

Makes one wonder which Spread Sheet they all are going to adopt - moving forward... noting that the so-called International Organization for Standardization (ISO) OOXML is not yet apparently implementable while the Open Document Format (ODF) Standards are. And, one gets a glimpse the most modern IBM Lotus Symphony Rescue Ship in sight.  8)

saborion2

Re:

QuoteMaybe this poor dude "SANDER" that made this comment got wash out to sea by the crushing waves that swallowed up (engulfed) WALL STREET and other parts of the INTERNATIONAL SHORELINES?  8)

Perhaps, he must be somewhere "under" that $700,000,000,000 "bailout package" that was sent by the U. S. Government to "MAIN" and "WALL STREETS".  ;D ;D ;D

saborion2

OFF TOPIC.... but this is really, really s-e-r-i-o-u-s

Iceland teeters on the brink of bankruptcy

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7406&eeid=6138094&_sitecat=1505&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=2&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt&_lid=332&_lnm=tg+ne+topnews&ck=

Yep, this (what is happening in the banking and financial industries around the world) should be "OFF TOPIC" until everything "crashes".  8)

saborion2

Re:

QuoteYep, this (what is happening in the banking and financial industries around the world) should be "OFF TOPIC" until everything "crashes".  8)

And, this as "world financial crisis" rages on:

Britain threatens to sue Iceland to protect savers

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) - Britain added to the financial chaos engulfing Iceland by declaring Wednesday it planned to sue over lost deposits held by thousands of Britons with Icelandic bank accounts.

The news from London even overshadowed an emergency loan Wednesday from Sweden to Iceland's biggest bank.

The promise of legal action by the British government to recover deposits belonging to 300,000 British account holders with the Icesave Internet bank came after its parent, Landsbanki, was placed in receivership.

"We are taking legal action against the Icelandic authorities," Prime Minister Gordon Brown told journalists in London. "We are showing by our action that we stand by people who save."

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7406&eeid=6138094&_sitecat=1505&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=0&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt&_lid=332&_lnm=tg+ne+topnews&ck=

Things in certain parts of the world are serious!  ???  Does anyone know how the economic conditions are with the SAUDIs!  8)