• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

IBM`s response to the 2nd petition letter

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.01.22, 00:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I believe somewhere on an EU site there was a link which was asking for help in reviewing the documents. If I can dig up the link, I will post it. I dont know what the requirements were to be given access to the documents, or if access to them is still open (as this was before the EU determined that the docs were incomplete and in various ways useless).

Sadly, even if the new set of documents they claim to plan on releasing were complete and accurate, and not obfuscated; the next issue is their requirement that the users of the docs cannot use them for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, virtually every Open Source initiative out there is commercial in nature... one does not have to charge money for a venture to be commercial.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

El Vato

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.02.23, 20:05:39
How interesting... "kimhav, Global Moderator, Hero Member" wrote the following earlier:
Quote from: RobertM on 2008.02.24, 05:24:01
[...]
We need to stop hitching our wagon on anything to do with MS and their (usually broken) promises
Quote from: kimhav on 2008.02.24, 01:38:37
I can only agree with Robert that I don't think that MS release of documents will have any bigger effect on the open source community and [...]
Unfortunately, virtually every Open Source initiative out there is commercial in nature... one does not have to charge money for a venture to be commercial.

Agreed, by keeping its thumb pressed on this issue, MS babbling amount to an attempt to appease the regulators:

"However, companies that want to commercially distribute implementations of the protocols still must obtain a patent license from Microsoft, it said."

...seems to me that we are humoring another one from the MS pond  --and it may go for a long time due to the severity of the brainwashing previously exhibited by those.