• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 native port of Java 6

Started by miturbide, 2007.05.17, 04:47:54

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

I consider that an OpenJDK port will be more usefull than a Odinized (sorry for making Odin a verb here) version of JRE for Windows.

Why?

First, because OpenJDK is open source (under GNU GPL V2 license), that means that the code will be shared and various developers can chip in and no one will have the exclusive control of an OpenJDK build for eCS-OS2.
Ex: If the main developer of OpenJDK dies then other can continue with the job. No company will have exclusive control on telling us how to use OpenJDK or try to restrict us to use it.

While making the Windows JRE to work on OS/2 means that, possible one day Oracle/Sun can change the license to forbide this, or stop giving the Windows JRE for free. This can not happen with OpenJDK (license GNU GPL). But I understand that an Odinized JRE will be a good workarround to have something fast, but it will not be a good solution thinking in the long term.

The second thing is that I prefer having a native port of the JRE. Possible Odin can work fine, but it gaves a better performance to have a native port.

The third point is a doubt that I have. Is the Innotek pack for making Odinized applications complete open source?  I haven't seen any documentation on how to make Odinized OS/2 applications arround, like for exmaple how the Odinized Acrobat was produced.  I think that Netlabs made some agreement with Innotek to get this technology before the Sun deal, but I'm just especulating, since I don't know how that ended. If anybody can give me some lights on this point it will be apreciated.

Roderick, about the Bounties, I share with you that is not being effective. But I think that if you share a problem with the community, it is a good idea to share also a possible solution so we can evaluate them. Or you just want us to close the bounty system definitive ? or if you have a better idea how to raise more money and not only a hundred of dollars, please let us know.

Possible to make a positive change on the Bounty system it is required to contact more developers and ask them how much money sounds good enought for them to be involved on making any of the Software ports proposed. And later anounce a target for the Bounty and let people know there is a developer interested if we reach $XX target.

So the Question for this Bounty is:

1) Which Developers are interested on making the OpenJDK port for eCS-OS2?
2) How much money is required to raise to make this port a reality? And later contact all the people in the community interested to Chip in for it.

So Roderick, the questions to Mensys are:

1) Is Mensys interested on this Bounty to port OpenJDK to eCS-OS2 ? Allowing access to the Binaries and Source Code complete ?
2) How much money do Mensys required to make the port possible ?

If there is interest we will see if we can raise enought money for this. And also thinking in the long term that eCS will have a native, open source, and free Java Runtime Enviroment to be included on it and can add more value to eCS.

Regards.

Martin.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

diver

to be honset. the bounty will not work for such a case, as the money is one part. but such a big project needs a project lead. without a lead it's a dead end from the beginning. and you all can be sure i know what it means to lead a big project. see Qt as example.

about the money in gereral. just as a figure. we need Euro 11000 to port Qt. right now we have around 76% so we still lack a lot.
you can be sure that a java port needs more than we needed for Qt, as this is a complete new port. of course a lot will just work, but all the low level api's need to be portet to OS2 and all graphic stuff needs to be converted to PM.

so as soon as you get enough money a port could be considered. but first more than 50% should be around, if not it's not worth to start at all. and such a project it not doable as a parttime project. developers need to be hired otherwise it's a dead end also.

regards and good luck in collecting money :)
Silvan
Qt 4 project lead

rwklein

Quote from: miturbide on 2009.12.06, 17:37:08
I consider that an OpenJDK port will be more usefull than a Odinized (sorry for making Odin a verb here) version of JRE for Windows.

Why?

First, because OpenJDK is open source (under GNU GPL V2 license), that means that the code will be shared and various developers can chip in and no one will have the exclusive control of an OpenJDK build for eCS-OS2.
Ex: If the main developer of OpenJDK dies then other can continue with the job. No company will have exclusive control on telling us how to use OpenJDK or try to restrict us to use it.

While making the Windows JRE to work on OS/2 means that, possible one day Oracle/Sun can change the license to forbide this, or stop giving the Windows JRE for free. This can not happen with OpenJDK (license GNU GPL). But I understand that an Odinized JRE will be a good workarround to have something fast, but it will not be a good solution thinking in the long term.

The second thing is that I prefer having a native port of the JRE. Possible Odin can work fine, but it gaves a better performance to have a native port.

The third point is a doubt that I have. Is the Innotek pack for making Odinized applications complete open source?  I haven't seen any documentation on how to make Odinized OS/2 applications arround, like for exmaple how the Odinized Acrobat was produced.  I think that Netlabs made some agreement with Innotek to get this technology before the Sun deal, but I'm just especulating, since I don't know how that ended. If anybody can give me some lights on this point it will be apreciated.

Roderick, about the Bounties, I share with you that is not being effective. But I think that if you share a problem with the community, it is a good idea to share also a possible solution so we can evaluate them. Or you just want us to close the bounty system definitive ? or if you have a better idea how to raise more money and not only a hundred of dollars, please let us know.

Possible to make a positive change on the Bounty system it is required to contact more developers and ask them how much money sounds good enought for them to be involved on making any of the Software ports proposed. And later anounce a target for the Bounty and let people know there is a developer interested if we reach $XX target.

So the Question for this Bounty is:

1) Which Developers are interested on making the OpenJDK port for eCS-OS2?
2) How much money is required to raise to make this port a reality? And later contact all the people in the community interested to Chip in for it.

So Roderick, the questions to Mensys are:

1) Is Mensys interested on this Bounty to port OpenJDK to eCS-OS2 ? Allowing access to the Binaries and Source Code complete ?
2) How much money do Mensys required to make the port possible ?

If there is interest we will see if we can raise enought money for this. And also thinking in the long term that eCS will have a native, open source, and free Java Runtime Enviroment to be included on it and can add more value to eCS.

Regards.

Martin.

It has been a while since I checked all of the Java stuff. The good stuff of the ODIN code is that it requires less work per build. I know the advantages of getting Java compiling native, that is not an ODIN build.

About the bounty system ? You don't have to close it down. Its just that

How much money is needed to get a current Java build ? I don't know. This depends on the developer of course and the road choosen! If you take the current ODIN code we have that is being updated to support Flash then that could be a done for maybe a few thousand dollars.

I don't know how much work would be needed to get JAVA working as a native port. With Open Office a lot of the old OS/2 code was still floating around CVS. So that made live easier, it was still a big job.

Price tag ? It depends who you can find todo the work. Or if we can find a team of volunteers. But as was written in this thread by Silvan, its going to be a lot of work. I'm not holding my breath for a volunteer to do this work. I know how much time our Open Office Developer needs to keep up! Its not a small operation :-)

That is I don't want to dis-curriage anybody to try and work on such a project in his spare time. The estimate is just that its going to chunk of work. How big that chunk is don't know.

So the price tag would depend on the developer. Could he do it as  labour of love and for a lower price, is he from a country where lets say 1000 Dollars a month is a lot of money. Or is somebody from the US that just needs the full price paid per hour.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

miturbide

Hi Roderick

But the question still remains.

If nobody puts a Price Tag, how do we know how much to raise to see the Odinized Java version available (on this case)?

Is Mensys interested on making a Odinized Java version available ? Or Mensys don't want to get into developement projects because the experience with OpenOffice?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

rwklein

Quote from: miturbide on 2009.12.08, 21:43:10
Hi Roderick

But the question still remains.

If nobody puts a Price Tag, how do we know how much to raise to see the Odinized Java version available (on this case)?

Is Mensys interested on making a Odinized Java version available ? Or Mensys don't want to get into developement projects because the experience with OpenOffice?

Here is the problem. I can not mention projects with price tags and who worked on what for Mensys.
But when it comes to a price tag, developer X costs for project y lets say $5000. Developer Z costs for the same project $10.000. Right now I don't realy have a skilled developer on the table who can do the work.
But he should be avaaliable later to work on this.

For us such bounty systems, where you put a fixed price on something won't work. Silvan got the deal with Dimitri but he knew what Dimitri would cost and how much money was needed.

We are interested in doing a Java build then again if somebody from the community would be willing to step forward. That would be great! That would save us some work :-)

Roderick Klein
Mensys

diver

as all of you probably know, we are now working on the OpenJava 6 Port.

i do a formal request of the money.

why do i do it so early? this is simple, as it always takes ages till os2world has come to the conclusion to pay.

regards
Silvan
Java Project Lead

HelenJames

I have send you in pm

diver

what did you send me? i did not get anything.

warpcafe

Hi Silvan,

I guess HelenJames is not a "real" user but rather some_THING trying to fish around.
He/She/It left a useless comment in another thread as well. And the user profile was removed in the meanwhile too... so don't expect something to happen.

HTH, Thomas

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

miturbide

Considering that:

• There is a single effort to port Java 6 on eComStation - OS/2 by Silvan Scherrer and Dmitry A. Kuminov.
  • The Source code is available at Netlabs SVN.
  • The project is in beta stage and it started showing some tests running Java apps.

I will like to propose the bounty sponsors to transfer the $340 to this project and close the bounty at OS2World.com. 

If any of the bounty sponsors had any comment please post it here within two weeks. This will give time to hear any comments from the sponsors and the community and let anybody else contribuite to this bounty on this days.

Thanks

Martin Iturbide
OS2World.com Bounty Admin.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Andi710

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.01.19, 22:25:18
I will like to propose the bounty sponsors to transfer the $340 to this project and close the bounty at OS2World.com. 

I think I was one of the sponsors (way back when). If so, please hand my money over to Dmitry and Silvan, they are doing a tremendous job. Clear progress, clear communication - clearly deserved rewards!

Cheers
Andreas