• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Ecomstation on Virtual PC 2007 for windows

Started by PAUL555, 2008.04.08, 17:51:30

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL555

I have run ecomstation 1.2 and 2.0 Rc4 successfully on microsoft virtual pc 2007 on windows xp. If I want to browse the internet in virtual pc 2007 using ecomstation what setup changes will I need to do in virtual pc 2007 ? This setup presumably would not require a firewall/antivirus for browsing the web in vpc 2007 ? 

Paul   

magog

Hi!
There nothing special to do in VPC2007.
Select your eCS Installation and press edit.
At the setup dialog make sure that the "Network" row shows "Number of Network Adapters: 1"
Select drop down List for "Adapter 1:" and choose your primary network card of your Windows machine that is used to access the internet.
I assume you have some kind of router via a Network card and don't use a modem (dail-up) connection.

That's basically all you need to do in VPC.
In eCS 1.2/2.0 you need to setup your network and I think that might be your problem.

Note: I translated the VPC setting text from german to english, so the text you might see on your english version might not match my translation to 100%.

Ok, now to the setup of eCS 2.0 (I've got Beta4 [english] installed inside VP2007)

Click on "System Setup" --> "Network" --> "Adapters and Protocols"

At the "Multi-Protocol Transport Services" click on "Configure MPTS"
The next screen shows some options. Normally "LAN adapters and protocols" should be selected.
If not select it and then click the "Configure" button.

The interesting stuff is the text box no. 3.
Here the following is installed:

Intel 2104x/2114x 10/100 mbps Ethernet Controller.....
  1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
  0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
  0 - IBM TCP/IP

Important is "IBM TCP/IP" as this is needed if you want to connect to the internet. The other two are for the network shares.
If you don't have this setup click OK and at the next screen "Save", finally "Close".
When asked to save the updates to the CONFIG.SYS click again "Save" and follow the rest (clicking OK several times).

The next step involves the TCP/IP setup.
Click on "System Setup" --> "Network" --> "TCP/IP" --> "TCP/IP Configuration"
I've got it running here with DHCP but you may need to specify the IP and also the routing information manually.
As I don't know how your Network and Internet access works I can't really help.

Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

Terry

Thanks for the eCS clarification as I have a laptop where eComStation would need to be installed as a Virtual PC 2007 guest operating system.

In addition, are there any special considerations to install a Linux Distro(s) as a guest under Virtual PC 2007 since Linux normally requires two primary partitions with a stand-alone install?

Might as well install both as guest operating systems, while I'm at it, since the laptop Host O.S. must be either Vista or WinXP, due to occupational software demands.

Saijin_Naib

VPC doesnt do 24bit color emulation, so linux will need to be forced to 16bit. Thats about all. Also, I had issues with Linux Kernel 2.64 and the PS/2 mouse that VPC uses, the linux kernel fails to drive it properly, resulting in a stuck mouse.