• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenSNAP geplant/OpenSNAP planned

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.04.09, 05:12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Not to pry, but what does that mean for us? Do you have access to the Windows Scitech info? They supported much newer chipsets with 3D accel and that could be potentially useful for us.

alex

Joachim,

Will Alt Richmond make the OS/2 SNAP technology open source as promised by SciTech before their acquisition, or do you have to make a deal with them ?

Regards,
Alex

madcrow

Sorry for the bump, but after several months, I was wondering if anything more had been heard on this front? Will SNAP's new owners keep Scitech's promise to open the source or have they decided to be jerks and break the promise?

rwklein

Quote from: madcrow on 2009.12.08, 15:32:46
Sorry for the bump, but after several months, I was wondering if anything more had been heard on this front? Will SNAP's new owners keep Scitech's promise to open the source or have they decided to be jerks and break the promise?

I would need to check again with Altrichmont where we stand (Mensys).

BTW I could be wrong but was it not Scitech that would open source SNAP. I don't know what the statement was from Altrichmond. And in this type of cases its better to have a name of somebody that stated there are willing to open source.

Mensys was in touch with them and we still needed to work out details how to deal with the code. But lets just say it will not be done free or charge. From what I remember a developer would need to split off the code thats OS/2 specific.  That would come with a price tage.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

miturbide

Roderick

Here it is the link.

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/17898/2/

The source of that news was Steve Wendt.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

rwklein

Quote from: miturbide on 2009.12.08, 18:46:45
Roderick

Here it is the link.

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/17898/2/

The source of that news was Steve Wendt.

Thanks but now comes the nit picking. Alt richmond never released such statement that I can remember.
But I could be wrong...
I need to keep better track of a lot of the stuff I work on but some much stuff goes over my desk.
In other words I don't know if Alt richmond released ever such statement as Scitech has done.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

miturbide

uhmm..
where is Steve Wendt now?
where does he works now?

Is there any way to contact him and clarify his statement?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

herwigb

Steve Wendt still hangs around quite frequently in the mozilla.os2 newsgroup in usenet.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

madcrow

Quote from: rwklein on 2009.12.08, 18:37:41

BTW I could be wrong but was it not Scitech that would open source SNAP. I don't know what the statement was from Altrichmond. And in this type of cases its better to have a name of somebody that stated there are willing to open source.

Mensys was in touch with them and we still needed to work out details how to deal with the code. But lets just say it will not be done free or charge. From what I remember a developer would need to split off the code thats OS/2 specific.  That would come with a price tage.

Roderick Klein
Mensys
So OpenSNAP is dead before it was even born? If Mensys is planning on taking up the code and developing it as either payware or as an eCs-only closed source driver kit, it would certainly seem that way... C'est la vie, I guess.

rwklein

Quote from: madcrow on 2009.12.09, 04:38:51
Quote from: rwklein on 2009.12.08, 18:37:41

Roderick Klein
Mensys
So OpenSNAP is dead before it was even born? If Mensys is planning on taking up the code and developing it as either payware or as an eCs-only closed source driver kit, it would certainly seem that way... C'est la vie, I guess.

Mensys needs to go back to Altrichmond and see what we can do. If Altrichmond would stick to the statement Scitech made about opensnap, don't know. But Altrichmond is a different company and Scitech basically had to close down because of lack of business from what I remember reading on statements on the website.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

magog

Quote from: miturbide on 2009.12.08, 19:18:48
uhmm..
where is Steve Wendt now?
where does he works now?

Is there any way to contact him and clarify his statement?

Steve is working for Kendall Bennetts other company since SciTech closed business...as far as I know no hardware stuff but business applications (I don't have up-to-date information so I might be wrong).
Michal Necasek moved on to Sun.
If you need to contact Steve look here (the dark gray line at the top): http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/

Altrichmond(.ca) never released anything about SNAP beside that they bought the code. OpenSNAP was only something that Steve released as selling SNAP wasn't going forward at that time. When selling the tech was going forward again OpenSNAP was dead (before it even started).
So now it only depends on Altrichmond if it's possible to continue developing drivers. As Mensys already talked to them, they have to push it.
Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

abwillis

I had also spoken to Altrichmond about the same time as Mensys did.  They were not opposed to opening the source (at first it seemed as if they might just open it) but decided that the cost to separate the code would be cost prohibitive.  About the time that they started talking cost I suggested we should bring in Mensys as they had the best infrastructure to raise money and found out they were already talking to them.  I don't know how many man-hours of work there is to split the source out but what they were asking for was the cost to be covered.  It may be possible for someone to sign an NDA and do some of the work to lessen the cost but I hadn't asked that at the time.

magog

Quote from: abwillis on 2009.12.17, 05:05:04
I don't know how many man-hours of work there is to split the source out but what they were asking for was the cost to be covered.  It may be possible for someone to sign an NDA and do some of the work to lessen the cost but I hadn't asked that at the time.

I don't know anything about the cost as I have no idea what the "split the code" is all about. It's not possible or at least not very well-thought-out to only release the OS/2 part. Driver developed should be running on all platforms otherwise SNAP doesn't make sense at all. If someone is fiddling around with the OS/2 SNAP backend modifying it would break using drivers from other platforms. Is this something they want? I don't think so.

What Altrichmond has should be only the part that can be open sources. I don't think it is possible they also got the drivers in source SciTech developed under NDA (ATI and Matrox drivers).
When it comes down to the source the best options to pick up the work are Kendall, Steve and Michal....supported by other people (whoever that might be).
Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

RobertM

I kinda suspect that it is the GRADD components that may have to be stripped out before SNAP is open sourced... meaning they'd have to be recreated or re-added via one of the DDTKs for an OS/2 release.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Why would the GRADD stuff have to be removed? Isn't it available in the DDK and other documentation?