• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Doodle's screen saver freezing after 14 days?

Started by cytan, 2008.04.14, 18:10:13

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

Hi all,
   I don't know if any of you have seen this. I'm wondering this is a problem with Doodle's screen saver or it's something else:

I had my computer up for about 7 days at work with the Matrix module running. Then I was off on vacation for 7 days with the Matrix module running. When I got back in the morning, the Matrix module was frozen *BUT* there was a response to the keyboard for the password. I could get back into the WPS. However, the next time the screensaver came on, there was just a black screen. I could only get back to the desktop by killing the PMSHELL with watchcat. But PMSHELL did not fully come back I could not start *any* PMSHELL type programmes from the commandline, e.g. pmview although they did show up in the process table. I did check that my shared memory wasn't exhausted, it had about 99MB available.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a leak somewhere in the screen saver? If this happens again, what should I document.

Thanks!

cytan

Doodle

Well, I'd do the following in this case:
- First, try to reproduce it.
- Then, once it's reproducible, change saver module to blank, and try it that way.
  (This way we can make sure if the problem is in the module or in the saver.)
- Then contact the author (me :) ), and ask for help. He'll most probably send you a debug version of the problematic part to see what's going wrong, and then he'll fix it, if he can. :)

Good luck!
  Doodle

cytan

I'll be away again for about 1 week next week, so I'll try again to see if the module freezes again.

cytan

Quote from: Doodle on 2008.04.16, 17:55:38

Well, I'd do the following in this case:
- First, try to reproduce it.
- Then, once it's reproducible, change saver module to blank, and try it that way.
  (This way we can make sure if the problem is in the module or in the saver.)
- Then contact the author (me :) ), and ask for help. He'll most probably send you a debug version of the problematic part to see what's going wrong, and then he'll fix it, if he can. :)

Good luck!
  Doodle

RobertM

I've seen something similar as well... could it be something to do with WarpOverlay? I seem to recall it had a 14 day trial attached to certain versions...

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

cytan

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.04.24, 07:36:11
I've seen something similar as well... could it be something to do with WarpOverlay? I seem to recall it had a 14 day trial attached to certain versions...

Nope, I don't have warpoverlay. I'll find out whether it's frozen or not on Monday. It's running the Matrix Module right now ... or maybe it's frozen already :-).

cytan

RobertM

Interestingly, since I updated Cairo, my Matrix module started working again, and I am not experiencing lockups - or the lack of ability to use that module.... dunno if there is a relationship.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

cytan

Well, it happened again this morning after about 12 days of uptime, the Matrix module was frozen and although I could type in my password I couldn't get to the WPS (unlike my original post). Killing PMShell did not resurrect it. According to the Matrix screen which sometimes flashes the current time, it says 19:48. So, I'll assume that it froze on Saturday 03 May 2008 at around 19:48. I was here at around 21:00 on Friday and it was working then. Here's the POPUP.LOG message for PMSHELL:
05-04-2008  11:24:17  SYS3170  PID 0033  TID 0001  Slot 0058
E:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
1b609988
P1=00000000  P2=1a7b05fc  P3=1b5f8968  P4=1a7b05fc
EAX=706c6548  EBX=00330000  ECX=0033002c  EDX=00000011
ESI=00330000  EDI=00000070
DS=0053  DSACC=f0f3  DSLIM=ffffffff
ES=0053  ESACC=f0f3  ESLIM=ffffffff
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=005b:1f7e398e  CSACC=f0df  CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0004f8d4  SSACC=f0f3  SSLIM=ffffffff
EBP=0004f904  FLG=00012283

I don't know whether the above helps or not. I'm switching to the floating lock to see if the screensaver freezes.

cytan

cytan

Well,  after setting Doodle's screensaver to floating lock my computer has the following uptime:

[E:\]uptime
  11:43am  up 30 days, 0:18:13, load: 67 processes, 279 threads.

So, I definitely believe there is something wrong with the Matrix module.

cytan

Doodle

Could you please try to switch to some other module instead, which can use DIVE and/or WarpOverlay?
(I'd be interested if it's related to the usage of those subsystems, or if it's really Matrix-specific.)

Btw, do you have WarpOverlay installed? Did you enable the usage of WarpOverlay in Matrix module?

Doodle

cytan

Quote from: Doodle on 2008.06.04, 10:17:12

Could you please try to switch to some other module instead, which can use DIVE and/or WarpOverlay?
(I'd be interested if it's related to the usage of those subsystems, or if it's really Matrix-specific.)

Btw, do you have WarpOverlay installed? Did you enable the usage of WarpOverlay in Matrix module?

Doodle

No, I don't have warpoverlay although in the configure menu it is enabled if warp overlay is present. I'll switch over to something else other than the Matrix module which uses DIVE to see if freezing occurs. This will probably take another few weeks: I'm waiting to see how long I can keep OS/2 up on this machine which is used daily.

cytan

rdconsult

Quote from: cytan on 2008.04.14, 18:10:13
Hi all,

---> snip

I did check that my shared memory wasn't exhausted, it had about 99MB available.

---> snip

Thanks!

cytan

How do you do this?

Like to get this info from my system  :-)

kind regards

Rainer

cytan

Quote from: rdconsult on 2008.07.03, 22:12:58
Hi all,

---> snip

I did check that my shared memory wasn't exhausted, it had about 99MB available.

---> snip

Thanks!

cytan

How do you do this?

kind regards

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Just get the programme: above512_001b.zip from hobbes and it'll tell you how much shared memory is used.

cytan

P.S. My machine's up 60 days today and everything seems to be running smoothly.

rdconsult

Quote from: cytan on 2008.07.03, 23:17:31
Quote from: rdconsult on 2008.07.03, 22:12:58
Hi all,

---> snip

---> snip

Thanks!

cytan

How do you do this?

kind regards

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Just get the programme: above512_001b.zip from hobbes and it'll tell you how much shared memory is used.

cytan

P.S. My machine's up 60 days today and everything seems to be running smoothly.

Hi cytan,

thanks for the hint.

Interesting Tool - good to know there are no high or shared memory bottlenecks  on my system currently -:)

The 60 day uptime - Congratulation to Doodle and you for the solving of the problem.

kind regards

Rainer

cytan

After a record 65 days of uptime, the WPS got really confused and the screen was not redrawn correctly despite killing and restarting PMShell,  I had to do a reboot with WatchCat.

So, with that out of the way, I decided to set up Doodle screen saver to Analogue TV (ATV) simulator which uses DIVE like the Matrix module. It seems that ATV, like the Matrix module chews up shared memory like crazy especially after running OpenOffice 2.0 which is a real shared memory hog.

Here's some data:
At the start before running anything, I have 277MB of shared memory:

current free virtual address space in kB (private / shared):
  392192 / 276928 below 512MB line, 1376256 / 1306496 above 512MB line

After testing Doodle screen saver with ATV, I lost about 20MB of shared memory:

391616 / 256896 below 512MB line, 1376256 / 1306496 above 512MB line

After starting PmW-Fx, vbox/2, XFree86, Sunbird, Thunderbird, I lost about 87MB

306880 / 169280 below 512MB line, 1376256 / 921260 above 512MB line

After starting OpenOffice 2.0, I lost another 100MB

196864 / 59264 below 512MB line, 1376256 / 913068 above 512MB line

After Doodle's screen saver kicks in a few times, I basically get down to this, this morning
and OpenOffice can no longer start because there's basically no more shared memory:

141760 / 4160 below 512MB line, 1376256 / 913068 above 512MB line

I think this is a serious problem with the screensaver. I don't know whether there is a leak
or that it needs to be compiled so that high memory be used. If Doodle would like me to test out other things I can certainly do that.

cytan

P.S. this is with CAIRO 1.6.4 and Doodle Screen saver v18

Doodle

Quote from: cytan on 2008.07.14, 16:54:22

So, with that out of the way, I decided to set up Doodle screen saver to Analogue TV (ATV) simulator which uses DIVE like the Matrix module. It seems that ATV, like the Matrix module chews up shared memory like crazy especially after running OpenOffice 2.0 which is a real shared memory hog.

(...)

cytan

P.S. this is with CAIRO 1.6.4 and Doodle Screen saver v18

Could you please contact me directly in e-mail about this problem?
(I don't check these forums very regularly, that's why...)

It's enough if you write me how to reproduce the problem (e.g.: use a saver module in Dive mode), and what are the symptoms (this and that app shows that shared memory goes down...).

Thanks,
  Doodle