• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook and eCS?

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2008.04.24, 01:32:36

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

Saijin_Naib

I see no reason why not. It will just need the usual DFSEE LVM magic, but other than that, nothing else should be required.

Robert Deed

A Solid State drive should be no different then any other storage which is attached either through IDE or SATA.. 

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2008.04.24, 01:32:36
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-notebook-portable,1913.html
It would be neat to try it on the T23. Would eCS work with it?

RobertM

As Robert says (love that name), a SSD will be seen by the computer the same as any other type of drive of that category (SATA or IDE - if you can find an IDE one)... just like (my addition to the conversation) an SD or CompactFlash card installed into an IDE or SATA converter (just DONT get a cheap IDE/SATA converter as numerous speed related functions are often unsupported... you want something that supports the full IDE/SATA specs and makes the computer see the CF Card as a "state of the art, new" HDD).

As a side note, there is a new SATA converter (check Engadget, sorry I dont have the link readily available) that will take 3 CF cards (including the new super-duper-high-speed ones) and make them "into" one SATA drive giving you supposedly unbeatable performance (even compared to pre-built SSD drives), for a cheaper price (including the CF cards)... about 96GB for the price of a 64GB SSD.

The converter is $192, and Engadget liked it (I havent tested it - but if someone buys and sends me one, I would be glad to!)

(the other) Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Robert Deed

I will actually be checking out this product shortly for use in a virtual reality arcade game =)

We are looking for a cheap alternative to SSD drives.. 

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.04.24, 03:22:55
As Robert says (love that name), a SSD will be seen by the computer the same as any other type of drive of that category (SATA or IDE - if you can find an IDE one)... just like (my addition to the conversation) an SD or CompactFlash card installed into an IDE or SATA converter (just DONT get a cheap IDE/SATA converter as numerous speed related functions are often unsupported... you want something that supports the full IDE/SATA specs and makes the computer see the CF Card as a "state of the art, new" HDD).

As a side note, there is a new SATA converter (check Engadget, sorry I dont have the link readily available) that will take 3 CF cards (including the new super-duper-high-speed ones) and make them "into" one SATA drive giving you supposedly unbeatable performance (even compared to pre-built SSD drives), for a cheaper price (including the CF cards)... about 96GB for the price of a 64GB SSD.

The converter is $192, and Engadget liked it (I havent tested it - but if someone buys and sends me one, I would be glad to!)

(the other) Robert