• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Icon routines in OS/2

Started by miturbide, 2007.05.17, 05:07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Supporting thread for the Icon routines in OS/2 bounty. The original and old bounty thread can be found here.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

jep

This bounty mention support for the file format SVG, but wouldn't it be appropriate to consider the newly presented PNG support in this bounty as it add support for large nice graphics?

Mvh / Wkr / MfG
//Jan-Erik

warpcafe

Hi gang,

well I think we can give the money to Chris Wohlgemuth! :-)
At Warpstock Europe I enjoyed his presentation
http://www.warpstock.eu/en/agenda/presentation_details.html?no_cache=1&tx_wseevents_pi1%5BshowSessionUid%5D=23&tx_wseevents_pi1%5BbackUid%5D=103&tx_wseevents_pi1%5Bback2list%5D=1

...seems like everything is in it already.
The icons looked AWESOME and the handling is very versatile (on-the-fly transparent overlay of multiple icons to create a new one dynamically, all that stuff... really cool). Requires the new WPS-Wizard - not sure if it's public already... let's wait and see for yourself!

regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

I think there is a .6.3 build on netlabs incoming site, but I cant test it on RC3! Classes wont register/deregister :C

How well does this work? I am pretty excited to see eCS with sexy icons :D

warpcafe

Hi,

well, it worked like a charm during the prez, even on a virtualized eCS on Chris' quite slow 700Mhz Celeron-based (IIRC) sub-notebook sized portable device.
It might be that the install (with classes etc.) is not updated/finished yet... and of course Chris' notebook is suspected to be biased about having the needed classes to run his own application. :-))

Unfortunately, the session transcript from WSE seems to not be available for public download yet, otherwise I/you/we could have checked for the requirements...

Greetings
Thomas

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.11.08, 02:59:47
I think there is a .6.3 build on netlabs incoming site, but I cant test it on RC3! Classes wont register/deregister :C

How well does this work? I am pretty excited to see eCS with sexy icons :D

Its not just you, and I dont think its RC3. I am running Warp Server for e-Business and it wont work for me. I have a feeling I have to remove all traces of the previous version (classes and all) and start again...

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

^ .6.3 worked fine for me on eCS RC2, thats the first time I started to use it. Who knows! All I know is that I got the MMAudio pack installed and FINALLY have WPS level playback of audio formats, and its awesome. Show that ubuntu using roomate of mine a thing or two  ;D Now, I just need those nice Cairo icons and eSchemes, and really show him something. He is ALMOST ready to try eCS, especially after I showed him his laptop is supported (bless eCS.ru Hardware database), so maybe this weekend. I think he will like it once its set up and ready to rock.

Andi710

Quote from: warpcafe on 2007.11.07, 10:31:18
well I think we can give the money to Chris Wohlgemuth! :-)
Requires the new WPS-Wizard - not sure if it's public already... let's wait and see for yourself!

I think Chris made huge progress into the right direction. Looking at screenshots, I'm really impressed.

However, I'm still hesitant to give my money away for this bounty as it's all bundled into WPS-Wizzard which , IMHO, has some serious issues and therefore got de-installed every time I tried it so far:

- non-standard installation: instead of using eg. WarpIN. So far, every time I remember installing WPS-Wizzard I had to uninstall not only the previous version of the application, but also update the installer, run scripts to clean the ini etc. WarpIN is not perfect, but it is open source and can be extended instead of re-inventing just another installer.

- some features collide with other WPS enhancers: DragText's overdrag for instance cannot be used if WPSWizzard is installed - this can happen and is not a problem in general, but ... (see next point)

- you cannot (easily) disable each feature on a general basis (like folder toolbars), for instance to make WPSWIzzard more compatible - here Styler/2 shines, but also XWP and even the old NPSWPS provide guidance on how one would expect to be able to toggle individual features

Therefore the implementation is REALLY COOL, but, so far, not useful for me. And I'm not ready to spend money on something I cannot use.

DavidG

I have WPS WIzard 6.0 installed on eCS 2 rc4.   It works great.  It works so good that I have created 4 dark glass themes and uploaded to Netlabs incoming if anyone is intersted in trying.

I have noticed something and I think it is a WPS bug.  If I restart the WPS around 8 to 10 times without rebooting, the WPS finally hangs requiring a soft reboot. 

I like how easy it is to install a theme.  Just unzip to its own directory and run the set-icon-theme.cmd.  These glass icons looks good a resolutions higher than the standard 40x40.  To change a folder resolution, right click on a folder or desktop, select view, and then icon resize.  Select something larger than the 40x40. The os2.ini accesses the theme.ini for all the necessary changes.  No clutter in the os2.ini

If selecting larger icons for the desktop, a scroll bar may come up on the right hand side of the rescreen after a WPS restart.  However, the next time you reboot, the scroll bar disappears. 

For the themes to show properly on eCenter, one needs to set their screen resolution at 16M or somewhere around there. 

I would recommend making an archive before installing any of the themes.   That way one can always recover.  To uninstall a theme, just move the theme directory to another location.

David

DavidG

Hi All

I have just upload versions 1.1 of the 4 dark-glass icon themes to Netlabs incoming.  This replaces versions 1.0.

In version 1.1, more new icons, some icons modified, and some icons replaced.

Just extract to a location of your choosing and run the set-icon-theme.cmd.

Enjoy,

David

DavidG

Hi

I had an idea for 3 more icons in the startup folder.  Thus, I uploaded version 1.2 to netlabs incoming.  This will probably be it for new icons.

David

chennecke

Quote from: Andi710 on 2008.01.07, 00:02:45
I think Chris made huge progress into the right direction. Looking at screenshots, I'm really impressed.

However, I'm still hesitant to give my money away for this bounty as it's all bundled into WPS-Wizzard which , IMHO, has some serious issues and therefore got de-installed every time I tried it so far:

- non-standard installation: instead of using eg. WarpIN. So far, every time I remember installing WPS-Wizzard I had to uninstall not only the previous version of the application, but also update the installer, run scripts to clean the ini etc. WarpIN is not perfect, but it is open source and can be extended instead of re-inventing just another installer.

You are mistaking WPS Wizard for the CWMM classes here. WPS Wizard installation is just running a REXX script.

Chris did have some very valid reasons for not using WarpIN, as there are some restrictions that make offering different configurations for the same package complicated. Well, he could have chosen to extend WarpIN rather than writing an own installer but that's his decision and since I don't know the internal stuff, I won't comment on that.

- some features collide with other WPS enhancers: DragText's overdrag for instance cannot be used if WPSWizzard is installed - this can happen and is not a problem in general, but ... (see next point)

Last I heard, Rich Walsh was talking with Chris to solve the problem.

- you cannot (easily) disable each feature on a general basis (like folder toolbars), for instance to make WPSWIzzard more compatible

That's something I'd also like to see. I'd like to be able to have the tool bars disabled by default and only enable them for specific folders.

RobertM

Quote from: chennecke on 2008.01.09, 19:57:15
Quote from: Andi710 on 2008.01.07, 00:02:45

You are mistaking WPS Wizard for the CWMM classes here. WPS Wizard installation is just running a REXX script.

Chris did have some very valid reasons for not using WarpIN, as there are some restrictions that make offering different configurations for the same package complicated. Well, he could have chosen to extend WarpIN rather than writing an own installer but that's his decision and since I don't know the internal stuff, I won't comment on that.

In addition, when Chris first started these projects WarpIn either didn't exist, or was in it's infancy. I'd presume it would be far easier for him to continue using his custom installer than re-write the installer as a WarpIn installer, and then try to embed the necessary REXX config stuff into the WarpIn installer to allow for different configurations.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi710

Point taken. I was confusing it with the CWMM classes. Sorry for that.
Last I heard, Rich Walsh was talking with Chris to solve the problem.
Well AFAIK, he contacted him (I bugged Rich quite some times ;o) Not sure if they found out what the problem is already. So far I go with OverDrag functionality instead of a fresh new look. (although I really hope to be able to use both at some point.
- you cannot (easily) disable each feature on a general basis (like folder toolbars), for instance to make WPSWIzzard more compatible
That's something I'd also like to see. I'd like to be able to have the tool bars disabled by default and only enable them for specific folders.
Exactly. That's very high on my list as well.

Criguada

Chris is doing a lot of work with his WPSWizard, and since the other project regarding icons (i.e. PNGDesktop) is commercial, I think we should award the bonus to Chris Wohlgemuth (sp?).

Bye
Cris