• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OT Discussion related to: Improvement of the Bounty System

Started by warpcafe, 2008.03.27, 14:41:24

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.03.27, 03:07:45
Hi there "warpcafe"! It is certainly good to see you.... ;)

Re: "Well, for the "enhancements..."- part: Feel free to set up a bounty". Are you quite sure that you have not missed the fourth comment in this thread. How about re-reading this post and let's have your comment when you have done so.

All FYI.  ;)

Best regards.

How many times do you want me to read it?
When I said "set up a bounty" it was meant ironically - as in a joke, you know?
While we're at it: How about you leaning back, taking a deep breath, and then see this thread like all the others see it... you might notice (or rather not...) that everyone is talking about bounty system improvements while you keep popping in comments on stuff that is out of scope of this thread.

BTW: The company that is doing that COMFETAR stuff... when will it have a web page that is not "under construction"? Are you somehow linked to ORION, SabORION2? Now please let us talk about the bounty system improvements, will you?
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

saborion2

Hi "warpcafe, You said; "How many times do you want me to read it?
When I said "set up a bounty" it was meant ironically - as in a joke, you know?". Well, let me respond to you this way by telling you a little story which goes like this. I once worked with an Italian owner of an jewelry manufacturing company a few years ago and at the end of the day the floors were swept and the "dust" was placed into a container. For sometime we (the employees received a small piece of the pie) wondered why this was so and one day the owner remarked that it was all about a "bread" and "butter" issue; and, while it was not certain whether or not you had missed the "referral to the specific bounty that was set up" by yours truly (at the price of gold today) I just wanted to make sure that all the corners were "swept" (all details/information was taken into account).  ;)

Who to "bell" (take) the "cat" (bounty) if there is no "cat" (bounty) to be "belled (taken)"?

With regards to, "BTW: The company that is doing that COMFETAR stuff... when will it have a web page that is not "under construction"? Are you somehow linked to ORION, SabORION2? Now please let us talk about the bounty system improvements, will you?"

From the above reference to the "belling of the cat"... I am not quite sure how a company can go into business without a "product" or "service offerings"; and, to my mind (and, just to refer to an earlier poster) why invest your useful dollars in something that you are not getting any returns from while you have "rent" and other "bills" to pay? With reference to the "COMFETAR stuff..." (your guess will be as good as mine with regards to that relationship) you can be assured that as soon as the "bounty (open for increase) is taken" you are very likely to see this site go "live" (as COMFETAR LIVE suggests) from the "under construction" phase that is currently the case.

So, as the story goes... "Who to bell (take) the cats (bounties).  ;)!

saborion2

Ah, Ha! You did "jolt" the memory there Kim when you said;

Quote"While speaking of different processes it, might in current phase sound a bit overkill to talk about implementation of enterprise-, risk-, information-, data-, technical management. But, yes, there are aspects as well there that we need to think about and already doing".

Can anyone one remember the "concept" behind "ENTERPRISE WARP".... (believed to have been coined by the then IBM Germany based OS/2 Team) within the context of the current OS/2 World Foundation strategies; so, in this context (*ENTERPRISE WARP*); and, from that historical perspective.... the use of "overkill" may appear to be a misnomer.  ;)

saborion2

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.04.29, 15:05:38
Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.04.29, 14:29:16I like using Paypal for myself. It gives me protection that Bank Wire does not give. It also doesnt really cost me anything as far as I know. Maybe have both Bank and Paypal be payment options?

Both option will exist; so no worry. Making bank transfer from the States to a bank account within EC cost way to much and will make the money disappear in fees. A third option has also been proposed and that is to involve MenSys in the Netherlands to make use of their possibility to process credit cards. Clearly something that we will look into.

But, what I really would like some input on is possibility of making a bid on a bounty by developers and as well the option of committing to make payment for an bounty. As it works now, OS2 WF acts as a escrow between the sponsor and developer. The initial ideas was to guarantee that the developer gets the bounty money. But, we clearly needs to get more sponsors and increase the amounts for the bounties.

Are there any feedbacks coming to the OS/2 WF from prospective developers so that there can be ongoing discussions between the potential developer and the sponsor of a particular bounty; as, in this way if there are the possibilities of an

increase (in) the amounts for the bounties

then these and other issues (value propositions....) can be ironed/worked out.  8)

Also, are there any ongoing discussion between the OS/2 WF and main Business Partners such as IBM, Intel, HP, Lenovo with regards to issues affecting the OS/2 Communities; or, do Business Partners have to address these issues independently.

Thanks.

Kindest regards.

SAB.

saborion2

Re:

Quotesaborion2, the bounty system does not work that way. Bounties are NOT paid until the project is completed meeting all of the guidelines and reviewed to ensure such. Also, there is no way (nor is any planned) to allow potential bounty candidates to talk directly to bounty sponsors, as this may allow them to circumvent the bounty process for a product they never release. The possible worth of such a bounty can be suggested in it's supporting thread - but that does not mean that worth will be assigned to the bounty - nor does it mean that the bounty will ever reach that amount.

Hi Robert,

I believe that there are two scenarios that should be considered here: (1) The Porting of an application in general; and, (2) The OS/2 WF Bounties's System.

The rationale for the first being that - as most of who are Business Partners of main business alliance partners such as IBM, Intel.... would know that these companies do in fact have systems in place for the porting of applications to a particular Operating System; and, the porting of certain applications (which were previously supported on the OS/2 Operating system) by IBM themselves to the Linux Operating System are such examples being spoken of; and, it is assumed that we all know how the Linux community were able to accomplish these goals of having IBM et al committing to porting applications to the Linux Operating System. Therefore, the assumption is, perhaps the same can be done for the OS/2 Communities.

This then brings us to the second scenario where the Bounty System was established by the OS/2 WF; and, the assumption is that this is as a result of failings in the first scenario mentioned. This being more or less sponsors having to resort to the OS/2 WF Bounty System as an alternative for achieving their personal or their company's objectives.

In numerous cases, the bounty winners are receiving a token amount of what their efforts are worth. If you visit Paul Smedley's Pages, you will see dozens of projects he is active in - many of which we cannot live without (such as MySQL, PHP, ffMPEG, cURL, VirtualBox, Samba, Ghostscript, Perl, Gnash, CUPS, PostgreSQL, Python, WGet, Apache - to name a few) - yet he has only received bounties for few of them - and the amounts have usually been more "tokens of appreciation" than "payment for what his efforts were worth"

Thank you for URL link to "Paul Smedley's Pages"; but, just to let you know that I am up until late on Sunday evenings or early Monday mornings to perhaps be among the first to hit the "OS/2 News and Rumors" web site here:

Quotehttp://www.os2bbs.com/OS2News/

since its establishment.  ;)  and, undoubtedly have been following "Paul Smedley's" achievements over these years.

In some cases, we have been lucky to have dedicated programmers like Paul, who have actually completed and released the work to everyone - and then been rewarded with the bounty, as opposed to the method you are alluding to of seeing a bounty and getting paid for it to do the work (which will not happen). Bounties (in part - or in full) are not paid until the work is complete and reviewed and determined to be meeting the bounty requirements.

One simple question here; Have the thought "o-u-t-s-o-u-r-c-i-n-g" ever come to mind?

QuoteIn addition, though not stipulated in the bounties themselves, the following additional requirements also apply: If the software is a port, the "porter" must have the rights to do both the port and the release. Inotherwords, as a for instance, when I was in contact with IBM and writing various bits of code, IBM provided me with source that I could incorporate and use in my applications - as well as ones I could not.

So, as another for instance, if IBM provided a business partner with code to allow them to port it and release it (or make it available to IBM for release), that would qualify when the other aspects of the bounty were released.

BUT, if IBM provided that code to a Business Partner to use for their own internal projects or a specific client list (such as "please port this for Customer A/Project A, who needs it") it would NOT qualify for a bounty - even if all other criteria were met, as any release/usage other than in the example would violate contracts, copyrights and other IP laws. OS2WF will not pay out a bounty to assist someone in the commission of a crime.

Another scenario that would not qualify is if someone was provided (or bought or acquired or whatever) a copy of a certain piece of software and "hacked" it, recompiled it (without permission) or otherwise modified it to run on OS/2 - which again, even if it met the other bounty criteria, would not be eligible for the same reasons as the previous point.

What happens in the scenarios where there are joint "Go-To-Market" strategies between a main alliance business partner and a potential sponsor with respect to certain product development and release vis-a-vis the OS/2 WF Bounties Process?

BTW, What are the effects on the OS/2 WF Bounty System in scenarios where military related contracts may be involved and "U. S. Citizenship" is required by participants.  :-X

Regards.

SAB.

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.04.30, 09:11:25
Re:

Quotesaborion2, the bounty system does not work that way. Bounties are NOT paid until the project is completed meeting all of the guidelines and reviewed to ensure such. Also, there is no way (nor is any planned) to allow potential bounty candidates to talk directly to bounty sponsors, as this may allow them to circumvent the bounty process for a product they never release. The possible worth of such a bounty can be suggested in it's supporting thread - but that does not mean that worth will be assigned to the bounty - nor does it mean that the bounty will ever reach that amount.

Hi Robert,

I believe that there are two scenarios that should be considered here: (1) The Porting of an application in general; and, (2) The OS/2 WF Bounties's System.

The rationale for the first being that - as most of who are Business Partners of main business alliance partners such as IBM, Intel.... would know that these companies do in fact have systems in place for the porting of applications to a particular Operating System; and, the porting of certain applications (which were previously supported on the OS/2 Operating system) by IBM themselves to the Linux Operating System are such examples being spoken of; and, it is assumed that we all know how the Linux community were able to accomplish these goals of having IBM et al committing to porting applications to the Linux Operating System. Therefore, the assumption is, perhaps the same can be done for the OS/2 Communities.

Unlikely. And in general such a scenario would not help as IBM has no continued interest in such OS/2 efforts. Thus they wont release (as they have stated numerous times) source code for an OS/2 based solution, nor will they fund an OS/2 based solution. Hence, as you noted, the Bounty System here.

This then brings us to the second scenario where the Bounty System was established by the OS/2 WF; and, the assumption is that this is as a result of failings in the first scenario mentioned. This being more or less sponsors having to resort to the OS/2 WF Bounty System as an alternative for achieving their personal or their company's objectives.

One simple question here; Have the thought "o-u-t-s-o-u-r-c-i-n-g" ever come to mind?

On what budget? And specifically, why? And to whom? And for what benefit to the OS2WF? And would the OS2WF outsource to say... Orion Resources International? Probably never - but it is not my place to make that determination. But that part is irrelevant anyway, as no such system (or more importantly, funding source) is in place.

What happens in the scenarios where there are joint "Go-To-Market" strategies between a main alliance business partner and a potential sponsor with respect to certain product development and release vis-a-vis the OS/2 WF Bounties Process?

Regards.
SAB.

I dont see how such a thing could happen. The owners of the code would be very unlikely to release it to two different parties at the same time.

Under such a scenario as you proposed though, assuming the (provable) legality of both party's efforts, the party that better satisfied the bounty criteria, came up with the most stable and usable release, and the release with the best integration with OS/2 would probably be chosen.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Hi Robert; you have said:

On what budget? And specifically, why? And to whom? And for what benefit to the OS2WF? And would the OS2WF outsource to say... Orion Resources International? Probably never - but it is not my place to make that determination. But that part is irrelevant anyway, as no such system (or more importantly, funding source) is in place.

To the Indian sub-Continent for instance; and, the rationale being an selective, trained and dedicated work-force; and;

Probably never - but it is not my place to make that determination. But that part is irrelevant anyway, as no such system (or more importantly, funding source) is in place.

I beg to submit the following - "Never Say Never"!  8)

Is there a response to the below quoted from my previous post; or, you may have inadvertently missed it:

BTW, What are the effects on the OS/2 WF Bounty System in scenarios where military related contracts may be involved and "U. S. Citizenship" is required by participants.  :-X

Best regards.

SAB

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.04.30, 10:32:19
Hi Robert; you have said:

To the Indian sub-Continent for instance; and, the rationale being an selective, trained and dedicated work-force; and;

You missed the "On what budget? And specifically, why? And for what benefit to the OS2WF? But that part is irrelevant anyway, as no such system (or more importantly, funding source) is in place." portion of that, or forgot to address it.

Probably never - but it is not my place to make that determination. But that part is irrelevant anyway, as no such system (or more importantly, funding source) is in place.

I beg to submit the following - "Never Say Never"!  8)

As I said - even if such a system were in place - and the funds - it's not my place to make such a determination. But I do know if I had to wager on it, where I would put my money.

Is there a response to the below quoted from my previous post; or, you may have inadvertently missed it:

Best regards.

SAB

Yes, I did miss it - but dont see the relevance. I see no military related scenarios in any needed OS/2 related venture - other than that they may wish to use various pieces of software that OS2WF helps sponsor.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

warpcafe

May I ask if you have any relevant experience in IT offshoring with India?

Reason being: This is my daily work. I am coordinating a team of offshored people in Delhi. Regarding my colleagues you are right, they are indeed trained, dedicated and highly skilled people. If you want to hire them, it will perhaps be a little more expensive than what you think...;)

Or let me put it this way: Every bounty below 100K US$ is peanuts to them. Don't even consider to be taken for serious. And certainly don't think that if you give them 1 million you will get people who start to work immediately and bring along all the required skills. And even if they do: Are YOU staffed for success when dealing with India IT managers and their processes? Things sometimes are simply not so easy.

Sab, what YOU need is not found in India any more... but rather in Russia or Romania. Go there. Find partners. And once all your money is used up, welcome back on planet earth.

Cheers
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

warpcafe

Saborion,

you seem to have not the faintest idea of what OS/2 WF, OS2world, the os/2|eCS "community" and the bounty system in special are like. The name "OS/2 world foundation" is read "OS/2 World"..."Foundation"
and *not*
"OS/2" ... "WorldFoundation"
:)

So to make it clear:
- OS2WF is not a group of VCs, neither lobbyists with deeplink connections into the Board of Directors at IBM, HP, Lenovo or whomever
- The bounty system is not on the daily radar of VC corporations, nor does it seeks connection to these
- OS2world is (read from what is stated up above) "an international collaborative community" and not a world domination party / company / church. It's just a bunch of ordinary people who like OS/2
- the "community" is a group of people whohave in common that they use OS/2 and/or eCS. Nothing more.

Some people in this community are developers, most are users. Among the users, many feel like they are the "belly button of the world" and that nothing under the sun is more important than their piece of crap of machine or their very individual special need for a green click button instead of a blue one. Most of these people on the other hand do nothing except whining and complaining... they do *not* provide any feedback to authors (except than screaming at them), they do not share their experience or knowledge (except about how to scream) and they never ever try to do something for others (except screaming in their name).

You are now part of that great community. Welcome, congrats.
Unfortunately you do not belong to the minority of "humble" and "normal" people who just try to support others. Instead you produce nothing but distracting vapor and moreover you do this in one of the very last places under gods sky where a small number of (more or less) reasonable folks try to conserve a mood of non-flaming, facts-focused OS/2 information sharing. Thus, you are wasting time: Yours and ours. I warmly recommend you
- to pull up a new, dedicated site for your purposes
- to seek for support in the usual newsgroups - you will find a whole lot of like-minded... ehhh.. "people" there
- to write to VCs and companies on *your own behalf* if you want something from them

As you might be able to determine by the amount of money dealt with in the bounties here, asking for supporting your ideas is a waste of time. While I appreciate you shooting on much huger targets than we do, you must understand that this (os2world) is certainly *not* the appropriate place to do so, neither was it ever intended to act as such.
The bounty system is focused on affordable budgets for normal people. Some of them gather and put the money together resulting in a nice "giveaway" amount of money for saying "thank you". Never this was intended for funding full-time employees based work orders or projects.
An alternative way of getting something done for you might be to approach netlabs, however I think there will be legal implications regarding the nature of the work needed to be done as netlabs is primarily *not* focused on development or re-engineering of commercial, proprietary code. Thus, perhaps ecosoft from Russia might be able to help you. They seem to be very much "business"-centricĀ“in their approach and more open-minded to... let's call it "unconventional approaches and ideas"...

Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

chennecke

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.04.30, 00:47:50
Also, are there any ongoing discussion between the OS/2 WF and main Business Partners such as IBM, Intel, HP, Lenovo with regards to issues affecting the OS/2 Communities; or, do Business Partners have to address these issues independently.

Excuse me? The only thing that will happen if you try to approach one of these is that they will laugh you in the face. IBM has even turned a cold shoulder on large customers that basically were willing to stuff truck-loads of money in their pocket. And here you talk about discussions between a -- non-legitimated (no offense meant guys) -- representative of the so-called OS/2 community. Either you are kidding or this is one hell of a case of lost touch with reality.

saborion2

Quote from: chennecke on 2008.04.30, 14:08:56
Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.04.30, 00:47:50

Excuse me? The only thing that will happen if you try to approach one of these is that they will laugh you in the face. IBM has even turned a cold shoulder on large customers that basically were willing to stuff truck-loads of money in their pocket. And here you talk about discussions between a -- non-legitimated (no offense meant guys) -- representative of the so-called OS/2 community. Either you are kidding or this is one hell of a case of lost touch with reality.

Wow! I like your style "chennecke"; and, just to repeat what you have said in part:

IBM has even turned a cold shoulder on large customers that basically were willing to stuff truck-loads of money in their pocket. And here you talk about discussions between a -- non-legitimated (no offense meant guys) -- representative of the so-called OS/2 community. Either you are kidding or this is one hell of a case of lost touch with reality

Don't you wish that you company was the one towards which those

truck-loads of money
were headed.  ;)  Hmmmm, it makes one wonder does it not, as to why a company in their right senses would wish to engage is such a practice of refusing cash in this day and age; but, so much for that; and, the bottom line is - they are the legitimate owners (or a large parts) of the OS/2 Source-Codes (to which developers need access in some respects towards the fulfillment of a bounty request); which, as we all will know were requested by the OS/2 World Foundation in a "Second" Petition Letter to IBM to be Open-Sourced.  So; then, are you now saying that any attempt what so ever to convince companies

such as IBM, Intel, HP, Lenovo.... with regards to issues affecting the OS/2 Communities

also, of the value of a business proposition is
Quotea case of lost touch with reality

If so, why in the first instance was the "Second" Petition Letter by the OS/2 World Foundation to IBM?

In my/our case, why after waiting all these years on something (to get a glimpse of the great blue, white, gray.... whatever color whale) only to give up at the last moment.  :-X

Kindest regards.

SAB

saborion2

Re:

When taking a look at the following; re:

The result of the working day

It's possible to write and in bearable terms, there is nothing super secret here besides bugs. It's a half day job for a knowing engineer to write the task for programmers. IBM has given practically all the info. And, I think, it waited that the info will be taken and the mass will be created, but ah-ah, everybody hoped for IBM. May be that's why it turned to Lynux - droped the idea, lemmings start wander around and pervert it the best they can. Judging by JFS there are no boundaries to perversion.

The literature used (and recommended):

* IBM DebugHandBook
    * IBM DDK pddref.inf
    * IBM DDK header and inc
    * ACPI standard
    * Ralf Brown's interrupt list

http://en.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=177

Also, as was stated by "pasha" on this very forum...

I am glad , that it is like for you ;-)  Wait next article under topic "How to create own os2krnl" with os2krnl.zip at hobbes.nmsu.edu as usial.

http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,860.msg4794/#msg4794

In addition to the following:

Conclusion

At a time when IBM's support for OS/2 seems to grow less enthusiastic every day, it becomes increasingly important for users and developers to understand the internals of the system on their own. This knowledge can help in developing drivers and applications, building independent help desks, and even in coding patches to the system if necessary. With active support efforts from the outside community, OS/2 can and will continue to thrive. I hope that the present article has contributed in some measure to understanding the foundation of this imposing edifice.

http://www.edm2.com/0607/kernel.html

Are we to accept your opinion/be in agreement that

IBM has even turned a cold shoulder on large customers that basically were willing to stuff truck-loads of money in their pocket

When much (as some other folks around the world apparently have been saying for some time now) that much of what need to be known about "key" features of the OS/2 Operating System is already in the Public Domain; or, perhaps there are some things that you know that these other persons do not seem to know.  :-X

Best regards,

SAB.

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.04.30, 22:20:17
When much (as some other folks around the world apparently have been saying for some time now) that much of what need to be know about "key" features of the OS/2 Operating System is already in the Public Domain; or, perhaps there are some things that you know that these other persons do not seem to know.  :-X

Best regards,
SAB.

I hope you are joking... please show me one reference on how to fully (or even partially to 80-90%) implement any of the following:

• WPS (gee, if the info is so available, why are numerous *nix distros still unable to duplicate it)
  • OS/2's thread/process scheduling/handling
  • OS/2's SMP handling (and related thread/process scheduler) - keep in mind, the 64 way support in Windows and Linux was written by or largely contributed to by IBM.

I'll leave you with just those 3... though to replace the portions of OS/2 that IBM will not release, the list is obviously massive. The reverse engineering methods you describe would take a massive team and a massive investment - which will not happen. As small and light as OS/2 is (in comparison to... well, any other current day OS), it is a very complex piece of software, and (for the most part) very well thought out - hence it still being viable to this day with no major core component updates in over a decade.

That too shows the importance of figuring out how to replace various major components with functionally (and performance) equivalents that enter the 64bit world. It would once again push OS/2 to the forefront of what an OS can do. With as many parts of OS/2 that are quite very ancient, there still are areas (multitasking, multithreading, SMP support) that absolutely no PC based OS can beat it. Not bad for a 12 year old kernel and related subsystems that have only seen minor updates since 1996. As a for instance, please name any other Intel based OS/kernel that can manage a consistent 95-99% CPU utilization on 4 or more CPUs at the same time? Lemme give you a "hint" - the answer is NONE. Twelve years, and no one else has caught up. To gain momentum, I think an updated OS/2 (with replaced components) must maintain that edge.

I think (and believe others concur) that the task at hand is NOT just creating a compatible kernel that is 64bit... but creating it in a way where it can maintain/leverage OS/2's unbeatable performance in the areas I mentioned in the last paragraph.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.04.30, 22:55:32
Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.04.30, 22:20:17
When much (as some other folks around the world apparently have been saying for some time now) that much of what need to be known about "key" features of the OS/2 Operating System is already in the Public Domain; or, perhaps there are some things that you know that these other persons do not seem to know.  :-X

Best regards,
SAB.

I hope you are joking... please show me one reference on how to fully (or even partially to 80-90%) implement any of the following:

• WPS (gee, if the info is so available, why are numerous *nix distros still unable to duplicate it)
  • OS/2's thread/process scheduling/handling
  • OS/2's SMP handling (and related thread/process scheduler) - keep in mind, the 64 way support in Windows and Linux was written by or largely contributed to by IBM.

I'll leave you with just those 3... though to replace the portions of OS/2 that IBM will not release, the list is obviously massive. The reverse engineering methods you describe would take a massive team and a massive investment - which will not happen. As small and light as OS/2 is (in comparison to... well, any other current day OS), it is a very complex piece of software, and (for the most part) very well thought out - hence it still being viable to this day with no major core component updates in over a decade.

That too shows the importance of figuring out how to replace various major components with functionally (and performance) equivalents that enter the 64bit world. It would once again push OS/2 to the forefront of what an OS can do. With as many parts of OS/2 that are quite very ancient, there still are areas (multitasking, multithreading, SMP support) that absolutely no PC based OS can beat it. Not bad for a 12 year old kernel and related subsystems that have only seen minor updates since 1996. As a for instance, please name any other Intel based OS/kernel that can manage a consistent 95-99% CPU utilization on 4 or more CPUs at the same time? Lemme give you a "hint" - the answer is NONE. Twelve years, and no one else has caught up. To gain momentum, I think an updated OS/2 (with replaced components) must maintain that edge.

I think (and believe others concur) that the task at hand is NOT just creating a compatible kernel that is 64bit... but creating it in a way where it can maintain/leverage OS/2's unbeatable performance in the areas I mentioned in the last paragraph.

Robert

While I am not quite sure that I should be continuing this debate with you whether about specific implementations of features in OS/2, Windows, or the Linux Operating Systems (or what have you) in any case, in the final analysis when ever it is time for a "reality check"... there are particular conditions that influence all of our actions/decisions; and, those are called - "Market Forces; and, here is an example of what has happened in real world scenarios over the years:

IBM, Bankers at Odds Over OS/2 Migration Path

Vendor advises OS/2 users to switch to Linux, but ATM makers are leading push to Windows

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,83884,00.html

Who wants to be

joking...

around at this time when their livelihoods are at stake.?  ???

BTW, those statements about what is available in the Public Domain that can possibly contribute to enhancements (aid developers who are developing for OS/2 Operating Systems... hence, the abilities to aid in the fulfillment in Bounty Process) were not attributed by me; but, they were only quoted by me. It would be most interesting to know the mind-set that informed the "Decision-Makers" within the "banking industries" (once a strangle-hold of the OS/2 Operating System). In addition to this, it would also be interesting to know what was it that also forced those at a prominent Brazilian Bank (that was previously running OS/2) along with the
QuoteATM Markeplace
to switch to the Linux and Windows Operating Systems. :-X See the below attached link:

ATM vendors look to Brazil

Driving migration

The move from OS/2 to Windows, coupled with new legal requirements - such as those set for disabled users - is driving the renewals, Silva said.

"The Brazilian market is extremely advanced compared with other countries," said Juarez Sant Anna, Diebold's sales and marketing vice president in Brazil....

http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article.php?id=9102&prc=3&page=33

Regards.

SAB