• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Where is eCS-OS2 used?

Started by saborion2, 2008.05.04, 22:12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

Well, regarding Sweco you guys where pointing to the Finnish home page and it's a Swedish company. My guess is that they uses Windows as most of the Swedish companies does and even if it was a Finnish company; well, thoose guys never understod OS/2  - was never a hit there. OS/2 had it's largest installations within bank and finance and in Denmark IBM owned 90% of bank and finance marked with OS/2.

"About Sweco - Sweco is a provider of international consulting engineering services whose engineers, architects and environmental experts are working together to contribute to the creation of a sustainable society. Sweco offers qualified consulting services with a high knowledge content, often in the early stages of client projects, and has projects currently underway in some 80 countries worldwide. The Group has annual sales of approximately SEK 4.6 billion and 5,300 employees in ten countries. Sweco is a member of the OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm."

saborion2

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.05.07, 23:35:58
Well, regarding Sweco you guys where pointing to the Finnish home page and it's a Swedish company. My guess is that they uses Windows as most of the Swedish companies does and even if it was a Finnish company; well, thoose guys never understod OS/2  - was never a hit there. OS/2 had it's largest installations within bank and finance and in Denmark IBM owned 90% of bank and finance marked with OS/2.

"About Sweco - Sweco is a provider of international consulting engineering services whose engineers, architects and environmental experts are working together to contribute to the creation of a sustainable society. Sweco offers qualified consulting services with a high knowledge content, often in the early stages of client projects, and has projects currently underway in some 80 countries worldwide. The Group has annual sales of approximately SEK 4.6 billion and 5,300 employees in ten countries. Sweco is a member of the OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm."

Hello "kimhav";

Thank you for the above and very informative response to my post; and, actually I am well read with regards to the international project activities by the Swedish-owned company - SWECO In fact, a former colleague of mine (while we worked at the University of Guyana) studied in Sweden and was also married to a Swedish national; but, sadly he has recently passed away. His name is Joseph O'Lall. And, maybe he may have been well known to a few persons in the Sweden where he met his "bride". :(

O'Lall to be cremated tomorrow

http://www.stabroeknews.com/?p=7569

Given the earlier established international business relationship between Sweden and Guyana; and, as was in part pointed out by you; re:
Quoteinternational consulting engineering services

It would be most interesting and rewarding if an (SWECO-OS/2 Usage Initiative) can be developed/fostered (in other words, the development of an engagement strategy to promote OS/2 usage by companies worldwide) at this juncture through the efforts of the OS/2 World Foundation.(at least, if "IBM"; or, for that matter - Serenity Systems International... is not going to do it. ;D )

Kindest regards.

SAB

saborion2

Hi All,

Taking a look at the opening page of this OS2world.com web site it will appear that there is more than enough space for the creation of a "widget" listing - "Where is eCS-OS2 used around the world". Can this be done/undertaken by the person or persons responsible for the web site's design, development and maintenance?

Additionally, has there been any thought given to the integration of Live Chat (Instant Messaging and Conferencing) functionality at this site?; for example:

QuoteInstant messaging and Web conferencing

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotus/category/uc2/

Whereby; if possible, providing the OS/2-eCS membership with the "Best-Of-Breed" Instant Messaging and Conferencing solutions.

8) ::) 8)

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards.

SAB

The Blue Warper

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.05.06, 06:16:23
It is believe that there are a few more of these "genealogy" related applications out there that runs on OS/2;

Hi,
another 'genealogy' application for OS/2 is "Web Family Tree" by Peter Moylan.  You'll find it here:
http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/wft.html
Though it's 'just' a viewer for GEDCOM files, «You can edit a GEDCOM file in a plain text editor, but you are probably better off getting an editor such as GenJ» (quoted from WFT webpage).
GenJ is a Java app.  Here's where you can find more about it:
http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php/
(I didn't recall these apps when I first posted about the Gendatam Suite, though I did know them).

Regards

saborion2

Quote from: The Blue Warper on 2008.05.13, 00:43:37
Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.05.06, 06:16:23
It is believe that there are a few more of these "genealogy" related applications out there that runs on OS/2;

Hi,
another 'genealogy' application for OS/2 is "Web Family Tree" by Peter Moylan.  You'll find it here:
http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/wft.html
Though it's 'just' a viewer for GEDCOM files, «You can edit a GEDCOM file in a plain text editor, but you are probably better off getting an editor such as GenJ» (quoted from WFT webpage).
GenJ is a Java app.  Here's where you can find more about it:
http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php/
(I didn't recall these apps when I first posted about the Gendatam Suite, though I did know them).

Regards

Thank you "The Blue Warper" for a great post... But, here is something that families may have to take into consideration very seriously - At the rate of "tornadoes" in the USA, "earthquake" in China, "cyclones" in Myanmar.... ::) it may be a good idea to have these databases established around the world. The question is: What will be the next world disaster (excluding the ongoing world food situation and keeping an eye on the "gas" prices); and, how many will survive. :-X

BTW, can anyone provide any information with regards to any financial and economics programs that runs under OS/2-eCS.!

Thanks.

Kindest regards.

SAB

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.05.13, 07:52:49

BTW, can anyone provide any information with regards to any financial and economics programs that runs under OS/2-eCS.!

Many were actually apps run through TelNet connected to a mainframe or emulated mainframe app. As a matter of fact, numerous still are. You can still walk into many banks that are now running Windows and see a Telnet session or 3 open.

CM/2, (as mentioned by you earlier) was used to connect the OS/2 clients/servers to diverse network infrastructures - IIRC. Wells Fargo recently posted a job position requiring experience in it (28 days ago) which is already filled. Finding more info on it is very difficult lately.

Most banking software is a combination of somewhat unique, and somewhat specialized, and somewhat "standards" driven. By that I mean, there are entire sections that are unique to the financial institution and their own accounts and database requirements, while there are sections that follow certain standards required to communicate with the rest of the banking network - and thus making the whole system of products rather specialized (ie: not things you can buy off the shelf - and definitely things you will not find technical references to unless you work in the banking industry in a programming capacity).

Bank of America was one of the last big holdouts/customers running OS/2... back in late 1996 they switched near everything to OS/2 - and they had just (or were just) completing a massive merger buying out a bunch of banks, all of which were switching (or already running) OS/2. They too have also switched to Windows. In the banking market around here, I think that leaves primarily ATMs... supposedly 40-50% of them.

Anyone with more specific info on the matter, please post... I am curious if there are other holdouts still remaining...

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.05.13, 19:33:06
Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.05.13, 07:52:49

Many were actually apps run through TelNet connected to a mainframe or emulated mainframe app. As a matter of fact, numerous still are. You can still walk into many banks that are now running Windows and see a Telnet session or 3 open.

CM/2, (as mentioned by you earlier) was used to connect the OS/2 clients/servers to diverse network infrastructures - IIRC. Wells Fargo recently posted a job position requiring experience in it (28 days ago) which is already filled. Finding more info on it is very difficult lately.

Most banking software is a combination of somewhat unique, and somewhat specialized, and somewhat "standards" driven. By that I mean, there are entire sections that are unique to the financial institution and their own accounts and database requirements, while there are sections that follow certain standards required to communicate with the rest of the banking network - and thus making the whole system of products rather specialized (ie: not things you can buy off the shelf - and definitely things you will not find technical references to unless you work in the banking industry in a programming capacity).

Bank of America was one of the last big holdouts/customers running OS/2... back in late 1996 they switched near everything to OS/2 - and they had just (or were just) completing a massive merger buying out a bunch of banks, all of which were switching (or already running) OS/2. They too have also switched to Windows. In the banking market around here, I think that leaves primarily ATMs... supposedly 40-50% of them.

Anyone with more specific info on the matter, please post... I am curious if there are other holdouts still remaining...

-Robert

Hey Robert, That was a great post (should I say, as most are  ;D ). To add a little bit to what you have mentioned... I have not so long ago had conversation with a database company that focuses on the banking industry; and, just in case anyone is interested... here is listing of their products and the link to their web site:

e-IBS® CORE

A Modern Core Banking System, Flexible, Dependable and Technology Oriented

e-IBS ® PLATFORM WITH IMAGE & FORMS ADMINISTRATION

Browser based – Thin Client

e-IBS® BRANCH AUTOMATION

Teller and Signature

d-IBS PERSONAL INTERNET BANKING SYSTEM

Personal Customers

d-IBS PRIVATE BANKING INTERNET SYSTEM

Private Banking Customers

dc-IBS CORPORATE INTERNET BANKING SYSTEM

Corporate & Correspondent Customers

e-IBS® DATAWAREHOUSE

(Browser Based)

IBS TRADE

a Complete Trade Finance Solution

e-IBS® PRIVATE BANKING SYSTEM

Manages Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds

e- IBS® CRM

Manage Customer Relationship, as well as generate and administer marketing campaigns and their results.

e- IBS® TRUST BANKING

Trust Banking Administration (Latin America Only)

e-IBS® INFINITUS

Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard and Private Label)

http://www.datapromiami.com/

All FYI

Question: How about a listing of the consultancies (leaving out SWECO, which "kimhav" has already described) around the world that run OS/2!

Best regards.

SAB

John

Hi,

Please excuse me as this may go off topic and am very exhausted. Anyway, and please bear in mind that I'm an end user only, from my understanding OS/2 eCS makes for a pretty good Real Time OS and has very good Multi Threading capabilities and has a track record of being used in Financial institutions and the business sector in General. For this purpose I say let people like me propose software that is required or rather - would help in their business environment. Perhaps set up a thread or bounty for that purpose? So I've got a few ideas, herewith :

For small to Medium enterprises in the manufacturing sector : There is a product called SAP (which I've never used nor seen in action) that members from the ISO9001 standards organization recommend (read "Insist" - locally in SA anyway) for your company to use which seems to be part of being ISO9000 compliant. There is sooo much paperwork involved that a small company like ourselves with 10 employees would require another 3 employees to cope with the paperwork! This needlessly adds to the cost of your product which sorry to say can not be afforded when one has to compete with products coming from the East and price is The Sure Winner - not quality nor service (here in SA anyway, but we've also tried to lure international markets and their first general response is "What's your price?", not "What advantages does your product have over XYZ?" for example). So I'm thinking what would work in the factory setup would be perhaps a touch screen terminal at each station with maybe fingerprint ID and login to receive their Job Cards on screen versus being printed out and signed by the employee - saving trees - and the job cards could quickly and easily be created with the help of templates. The templates could just be applied via drag n drop - OS/2 eCS excel here, thereby saving time and money. There is obviously a lot more to be done and this is not even scratching the surface of the paperwork involved in the ISO9000 compliance for manufacturing procedures, but do believe OS/2 eCS can play a role here in helping manufacturers from the start of the manufacturing process to the end along with monitoring real time costings with re. to wastage / output right through to distribution where for example you could monitor exactly where your driver is via Satellite / GPS (This may just be your puppy here RobertM :))

In short, I suggest OS/2 eCS should also be used to target Small to Medium enterprises at a competitive price.

Good night and have a Great Weekend.

Cheers,

John.

RobertM

We used to use SAP at CompUSA, and it was run off an RS/6000 system, Telnet'd to via the workstations (which could be anything with Telnet). I am pretty sure there are newer versions... but am unfamiliar with them. I can say that they didnt so much minimize our paperwork as make it easier to track certain things nationwide. For medium-sized and up businesses it is probably ideal - for small businesses, it may be cost prohibitive.

As for bounties, keep in mind they would require a few things:

• Someone having access (or being given access) to the source code
  • (Most likely) someone willing to do a lot of work for a small amount of money (the bounty)
As for our GPS solution... our customer has just standardized on a GPS (and networking) unit. It will unfortunately not be a viable solution for most OS/2 users - but probably still will be for business users - and would provide eCS laptops/etc Internet access, as well as GPS functions, dispatch functions and vehicle tracking at a central location.

Since they are currently "paying the bills" our first GPS endeavor will be in that marketplace:

• To satisfy our contract with them (which will be through Panasonic Toughbooks running Windows sadly - and hooked up to an eCS server via the Internet for positioning, dispatching, etc - and limited to the built in mapping software of the GPS unit).
  • To satisfy future contracts, which, with luck, will be using eCS laptops IF we can get all features implemented in time and (the big one) IF we can update one way street data in the TigerLINE data files (which the Tiger files do NOT include).
  • To create a product which we can sell and license based off #2 above to fund the time needed to implement the various interfaces we need to communicate with "consumer grade" GPS units.
-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|