• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Capturing Audio and/or Video

Started by Terry, 2008.05.01, 21:59:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Quote from: CDRWSel on 2008.09.02, 06:11:45
Why not use ffmpeg !
it is very nice and many many options.
sound syncro problem easy to correct using -async etc...
I do a lot of video/audio cut to remove unwanted part, append new video/audio and more... 
Wow.

I didn't know that FFMPEG could do all of that.

I'll have to give the docs a good going over.

Saijin_Naib

Because it's a pain in the ass to use a CLI only app to do something like edit and capture video. A GUI simplifies the process greatly.

RobertM

RE: ffMPEG
Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.09.02, 20:32:44
Because it's a pain in the ass to use a CLI only app to do something like edit and capture video. A GUI simplifies the process greatly.

I played with a very simple looking GUI tool for ffMPEG called Avanti. It does an amazing job of making many of ffMPEG's features very usable. I don't see any reason why a GUI app or even a "menu driven" CLI app couldn't be whipped up to utilize those same features more easily under OS/2.

Especially with the plethora of examples for ffMPEG that are all over the Internet...

As for the results, I've been very impressed. I've used various tools - from very expensive to freeware and everything inbetween for my video transcoding stuff, but hands down, ffMPEG has beaten all of them when it comes to size/quality considerations.

Here's an example:
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/forum/index.php?topic=5779.0

Each format was transcoded from a source DVD using ffMPEG. The sizes are rather small compared to everything else I managed to create using the same final resolution and the same or similar output formats (and the quality is just as good). The other programs I tried had sizes in excess of 100MB a file.

This time I used Windows to do it simply because I was on a time constraint and needed medium resolution output for web (all the ffMPEG scripts I have set up on OS/2 are set for high quality streaming at HD size, or DVD video output).

I'd love to say "one day I will write a little interface for this" but I doubt I will have the time...

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Sander

Unfortunately (and it's a damn shame), anything even approaching modern audio editing is a futile endeavor with the tools currently available for OS/2.  I wish we at least had a port of (opensource/freeware) Audacity. 

As far as video editing goes, I have tried the OS/2 CLI tools, and although they are very much appreciated, by comparison, I have to agree with the GUI crowd.  I can work MUCH faster, more comfortably, and better with the GUI tools available on other OS's. 

IMO, OS/2 multimedia is VERY sorely in need of modern (hopefully opensource) tools.  Full state of the art home theater seems a distant dream.     

Ben

Quote from: Sander on 2008.09.02, 23:16:42
I wish we had a port of (opensource/freeware) Audacity. 

As far as video editing goes, I have tried the OS/2 CLI tools, but by comparison, I have to agree with the GUI crowd.  I can work MUCH faster, more comfortably, and better with the GUI tools available on other OS's. 

IMO, OS/2 multimedia is VERY sorely in need of modern (hopefully opensource) tools.
Here, here!

I agree to all of that and I certainly could use any reasonably interfaced form of audio editing, and video editing, separately, or in one package.

Right now I'm sort of glad that if I can get anything, CLI or GUI, that will do the job under OS/2.

This "hole" has been here ever since IBM kicked OS/2 out on the street.
  >:(

Saijin_Naib

I'm mostly worried about having a full suite of IOPROCS for MMOS2 that can handle all the various image/video/audio compression and decompression schemes we encounter in the A/V world. If OS/2 has these first, it will become X times more attractive for even general use. Now, if we have nice GUI applications that expand on the new found capabilities OS/2 has provided by MMOS2 we will have a quite attractive platform. This is my dream however..

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.09.03, 00:18:57
I'm mostly worried about having a full suite of IOPROCS for MMOS2 that can handle all the various image/video/audio compression and decompression schemes we encounter in the A/V world.

Which brings up something interesting... I can no longer find any of the codecs KO Myung-hun uploaded to Hobbes. Some I think were actually OS/2 IOPROCS (though I never got a chance to check).

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.09.03, 00:18:57
If OS/2 has these first, it will become X times more attractive for even general use. Now, if we have nice GUI applications that expand on the new found capabilities OS/2 has provided by MMOS2 we will have a quite attractive platform. This is my dream however..

Agreed. And the beauty of the stuff being true OS/2 IOPROCS, or good IOPROC wrappers to make them operate the same as OS/2's built in ones. That was one of the things I loved about OS/2 back in the day... working with media was so seamless regardless of format or desired action... a moot point without updated native OS/2'd codecs.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|