DOS and/or WIN-OS/2 Sessions Problems on ArcaOS
Arca Noae has comment on their website that this is a common issue running ArcaOS (OS/2) on modern hardware. . It says "Generally, this is due to an incompatibility in the BIOS of the system with the DOS VDM code in ArcaOS (inherited from IBM’s OS/2 Warp 4)."
DOS window mode shows wrongly
This is a problem found on a Thinkpad L420. DOS and Win-OS2 works fine in fullscreen, Win-OS2 also works fine on window mode, but DOS on window mode shows wrong/group/superimposed characters on the command line.
Like this image:
Commands on the DOS will work, like for example "exit" will close the window, but the characters just don't look right.
It was suggested to use:
But on this case /int10textgrfxsafe does not solve the problem.
- Arca Noae offers this workaround "Another option, when full screen sessions work but windowed ones do not, is to open a full screen session first, and then press Alt-Home to switch it to a windowed session (this only works for DOS sessions, not OS/2 full screen and windowed sessions)."
- That is a good trick that worked on the Thinkpad L420.
- There is an experimental patch on which Arca Noae had been working - vio-1.0.wpi. You can find it on Arca Noae Ticket system. Ticket 1193
Problem: DOS Session quits after pressing any key
After starting a full-screen DOS session, a screen with "C:\" appears. After pressing any key, the screen closes and the popuplog.os2 is formed.
19.11.2020 22:58:30 SYS 0 PID 0038 TID 0001 Slot 00A7 C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE 16D7FFFF EEF3FFFF P1=FB92E113 P2=2F0CE14B P3=FF62F000 P4=FEE2E10E EAX=00006247 EBX=0000FFFF ECX=0000E118 EDX=0000FEC2 ESI=000091C3 EDI=00001240 DS=0348 DSACC=1092 DSLIM=00010FFF ES=FFFF ESACC=0000 ESLIM=00000000 FS=0000 FSACC=0000 FSLIM=00000000 GS=0000 GSACC=0000 GSLIM=00000000 CS:EIP=EB00:00000313 CSACC=0000 CSLIM=00000000 SS:ESP=FFFF:00000A74 SSACC=0000 SSLIM=00000000 EBP=00000A6A FLG=000A6212
Reported on a Motherboard Asrock B85. BIOS UEFI and compatible.
Set in config.SYS
- Forum: Problem: DOS Session quits after pressing any key
- DOS-WIN-OS/2 ArcaNoae Ticket System. 1189, 1193