The PREDITOR/2 is a graphical 32-bit editor equipped with powerful features, including the ability to display multiple windows, search across multiple files, edit and compile simultaneously, and emulate other editors. For programmers who want more, Compuware has taken the unusual step of providing access to most of the PREDITOR/2's own source code. By doing so, you can customize existing features to your liking and create new options.
With PREDITOR/2's Multiple Document Interface (MDI) and detached window modes, you can view different files in separate windows, or different sections of the same file in multiple windows. You can work in as many windows, buffers and files as you want and with as large a file as your system can handle. You can undo and redo an unlimited number of changes.
The PREDITOR/2's dialog boxes enable you to quickly customize the editor's look and feel. You can also set the editor to emulate the commands and keystrokes of previous generation editors such as Brief, vi, Emacs and ISPF and to automatically launch the compiler appropriate for the programming language in use, whether it is C, C++, COBOL, REXX, or a host of others.
The PREDITOR/2 provides the following features:
- CUA-compliant graphical user inteface with single, multiple, and detached window modes.
- Easy customization of emulation modes, including Brief, vi, CUA, Emacs, and ISPF.
- File sizes, number of open files, line length, and number of windows constrained only by system limitations.
- Unlimited undo and redo commands.
- Powerful regular-expression search and replace across multiple buffers.
- Seamless integration with the PVCS Version Manager, including automatic get and put of read-only files.
- Drag and drop integration with the OS/2 Workplace Shell.
- OS/2 clipboard used for cut, copy, and paste operations.
- Integration with the IBM WorkFrame versions 1 and 2.
- Extensive language templates for C, C++, COBOL, REXX, PASCAL, and others.
- Background execution of language compilers and built-in support for IBM, Borland, and Microsoft compilers.
- Fast loading of files from the OS/2 command line.
- Ease-of-use features including tool bar, status bar, and online help.
PREDITOR/2 gives you the flexibility to easily customize nearly every aspect of your editor. While most editors allow you some degree of customization and configuration, only PREDITOR/2 gives you such a wide range of options. Using the Professional Extension Language (PEL), you can change existing functions if they do not meet your needs. PEL encourages customization and configuration through its industry acceptance and ease-of-use.
- [p2demo21.zip Version 2.1] (outdated)
- Ray Monroe, Christopher M.F. Norris