S7027 - Introduction to OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming
This course provides the necessary information to build applications that use advanced functions and windowing techniques available with OS/2 Presentation Manager. Along with a series of lectures and demonstrations, the student will complete sample lab programs that illustrate the use of OS/2 and Presentation Manager functions. The student will learn how to build applications that use user-written dynamic link modules, multiple child windows with dynamic action bar manipulation, window sub-classing, SAA help functions and other full function application facilities. Some of the major Presentation Manager programming tools will also be discussed.
Upon completion of this course, a student should be able to:
- Describe how messages are used to communicate between window, processes and threads
- Build dynamic link modules and call user DLL functions from a Presentation Manager application
- Use multiple child windows, dynamically manipulating the main window action bar and scroll bars
- Allocate window data areas using window words
- Use the SAA Help Manager interface
- Call simple graphics and bitmaps
- Understand the positioning and capabilities of some of the major Presentation Manager programming tools
This class is intended for programmers writing OS/2 application programs.
Prior to attending this class, the student developing OS/2 applications should take:
- Introduction to OS/2 Presentation Manager Programming (S7027) or have the equivalent knowledge
The student should also be able to:
- Describe the Presentation Manager architecture
- Understand the basic OS/2 and Presentation Manager functions for multitasking, interprocess communications, dynamic linking, and creating windows and dialog boxes
- Understand the concepts of messages and resource files in Presentation Manager programs.
The "C" language is used in the example code throughout this course. A working knowledge of "C" will be required to get the intended benefit from the lab exercises.
- Not Available