Author Topic: USB maintainer wanted!  (Read 7942 times)

Lars

• View Profile
USB maintainer wanted!
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:40:10 am »
In October I will be working in a foreign country for 2 years.
That will also be the moment in time where I will move away from OS/2.
If there is interest to take over the USB repository and if you have the necessary skills to maintain/further develop the drivers then please let me know and I can help you to quickly pick up.

xynixme

Re: USB maintainer wanted!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:03:44 am »
if you have the necessary skills to maintain/further develop the drivers then please let me know and I can help you to quickly pick up.

If you are still available for help now, then what are the required minimal programming skills? To avoid that rare candidates have never developed a driver and won't apply, while the learning curve may not be that steep ("quickly pick up").

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 03:03:52 pm »
Hi Lars

Congratulations of your new work assignment. Even that we will miss your drivers and OS/2 collaborations it is great that you take a new professional challenge that I guess it will be beneficial for your and your family.
If it is not a privacy issue, can you tell us to which country are you moving ?

Thanks for showing your selfless work by updating the USB drivers over the years, giving also the source code to netlabs and sharing the knowledge with the public.

As a general note, even that USB source code is ruled by the IBM DDK license and cannot be open sourced, Lars showed me that a collaborative project can still be done with that license by using an organization like Netlabs to centralize the code. The IBM DDK license should not be an excuse to hide the drivers source code inside a desk drawer, it can not be public, but it can be ruled and keep as a collaborative project under an organization like Netlabs.

Let's hope that someone will be willing to maintain your USB drivers with the same selfless spirit.

Regards

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:09:59 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

xynixme

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 05:16:51 pm »
what are the required minimal programming skills?
And the required (USB) hardware, obviously.