OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

HOBLink and ArcaOS

<< < (8/8)

fusion:

--- Quote from: Sean Casey on January 09, 2023, 01:20:59 am ---If anyone is able to use a modern browser via an OS/2 Xserver please post your config.   I have tried both Chrome and Falkon and ran into issues with modern Xserver extensions not being supported in PMX and HOBLink servers (e.g., MIT screen saver and shared memory extensions).   

--- End quote ---

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,18.msg35643.html#msg35643

Note I had to use weirdx 1.0.31. 1.0.32 did NOT work for whatever reason.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: fusion on March 31, 2023, 10:29:09 pm ---
--- Quote from: Sean Casey on January 09, 2023, 01:20:59 am ---If anyone is able to use a modern browser via an OS/2 Xserver please post your config.   I have tried both Chrome and Falkon and ran into issues with modern Xserver extensions not being supported in PMX and HOBLink servers (e.g., MIT screen saver and shared memory extensions).   

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Hi Fusion.

I had never used weirdx before and I don't know how to use it.

I just tried to run weirdx 1.0.32 running:
 "java -jar weirdx-1.0.32.jar"
It just show a white window on the desktop.  Is that your same issue on your side?  (picture attached)

Regards

Dave Yeo:
While on the subject, I've been testing Xfree86 on the latest beta, basically AOS 5.1. Previously my old install crashed when returning to the WPS, so I started over.
Downloaded all X450*.zip files from ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/xfree86/4.5.0/, unzipped them to somewhere that is not @unixroot but is \usr, in my case Y:\usr\X11R6, also need \usr\adm. It may work installing to @unixroot\usr but I prefer to avoid it as Xfree86 is EMX and various kLIBC ports might find it and try to use it.
Added device=y:\usr\X11R6\lib\xf86sup.sys to config.sys and rebooted.
My xenv.cmd,

--- Code: ---set X11ROOT=Y:
set X11PATH=Y:\usr\X11R6
set LIBPATHSTRICT=T
set PATH=%X11PATH%\bin;%PATH%
set BEGINLIBPATH=%X11PATH%\lib;%BEGINLIBPATH%
set DISPLAY=local/127.0.0:0.0
set TERMCAP=%X11ROOT%/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap
set term=ansi
set logname=dave
set user=dave
set HOME=f:\home\dave
set XSERVER=%X11ROOT%/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.exe
set LOGNAME=%USER%
SET MANPATH=%X11ROOT%/xfree86/man;e:/emx/man;%MANPATH%

--- End code ---

After running it in a cmd prompt, run startx and here everything was correctly probed and I found myself at the X desktop.
It is slightly broken, the window manager twm should have been started and for some reason it isn't. Run start twm in a xterm. Later can install a better window manager.
Ctrl-esc to return to the OS/2 desktop, there are 3 xterms by default, typing exit in the login one will close Xfree86, due to the window manager not starting automatically, the other 2 xterms should also be manually exited, or close them after with the window list or xcentre.
This should give a working X desktop. Note that it will not work on an UEFI install, doesn't like the BIOS and can't probe the screens, so only for a BIOS install.

Log will be written to \usr\adm.
Edit: fix typo

fusion:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on March 31, 2023, 11:06:40 pm ---
--- Quote from: fusion on March 31, 2023, 10:29:09 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Hi Fusion.

I had never used weirdx before and I don't know how to use it.

I just tried to run weirdx 1.0.32 running:
 "java -jar weirdx-1.0.32.jar"
It just show a white window on the desktop.  Is that your same issue on your side?  (picture attached)

Regards

--- End quote ---

1) Which java version are you using? What does java -version report? The one I'm testing this on is java 1.1.8, which is stored in C:\Java11. IIRC this is the one that comes with OS/2 (MCP2?) for some of the config dialogs for TCPIP and whatnot.
2) Download the zipfile version of weirdx-1.0.31. https://sourceforge.net/projects/weirdx/files/WeirdX/1.0.31/weirdx-1.0.31.zip/download and extract.
3) Edit the file weirdx.cmd in the MISC folder and make sure you have "set JAVA_HOME=C:\Java11"
4) Edit the file props in the MISC\CONFIG folder and comment out the line "weirdx.windowmode=InBrowser" and uncomment the line with RootlessWM just below.
5) Return to MISC folder and run weirdx.cmd
6) "netstat -l" should report that port 6002 is open
7) On linux machine open an xterm and type "export DISPLAY=<os2 box ip>:2

--- Code: ---you@linux:~# export DISPLAY=192.168.1.123:2
--- End code ---

8] Any X software run in that term will now display on the OS/2 machine.

--- Code: ---you@linux:~# xterm &
--- End code ---

"&" will put the software in the background so you can run more with the same window.

Here is a limited list of what works and doesn't here. I couldn't test audio and I don't think the X server does anything with audio at all anyways (i.e. audio would come out of the Linux machine sound card)

Works:
Chromium-ungoogled - Browsed and played YouTube. Only works when video is tiny but browsing seemed fine.
Discord - This is a chromium based web app packaged as a program, and works fine.
wine - Tested IrfanView with wine64 ouputting to WeirdX and scrolled some images, a couple other tests didn't work though.
DOSBox - didn't test any programs, but built in prompt worked and displayed the welcome screen fine.
xterm
xcalc
xeyes - lol
mpv and mplayer both played video! Definitely not hardware accelerated. About 720p size didn't seem choppy.

Doesn't work:
Firefox - seems to need hardware accel
Thunderbird - is firefox in disguise
SeaMonkey
GIMP
Pidgin
kitty, Konsole, probably most "fancier" terms than xterm
xpdf

I don't really have much else I can test unfortunately.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: fusion on April 01, 2023, 10:53:00 am ---1) Which java version are you using? What does java -version report? The one I'm testing this on is java 1.1.8, which is stored in C:\Java11. IIRC this is the one that comes with OS/2 (MCP2?) for some of the config dialogs for TCPIP and whatnot.
2) Download the zipfile version of weirdx-1.0.31. https://sourceforge.net/projects/weirdx/files/WeirdX/1.0.31/weirdx-1.0.31.zip/download and extract.
3) Edit the file weirdx.cmd in the MISC folder and make sure you have "set JAVA_HOME=C:\Java11"
4) Edit the file props in the MISC\CONFIG folder and comment out the line "weirdx.windowmode=InBrowser" and uncomment the line with RootlessWM just below.
5) Return to MISC folder and run weirdx.cmd
6) "netstat -l" should report that port 6002 is open
7) On linux machine open an xterm and type "export DISPLAY=<os2 box ip>:2

--- Code: ---you@linux:~# export DISPLAY=192.168.1.123:2
--- End code ---

8] Any X software run in that term will now display on the OS/2 machine.

--- Code: ---you@linux:~# xterm &
--- End code ---

"&" will put the software in the background so you can run more with the same window.

Here is a limited list of what works and doesn't here. I couldn't test audio and I don't think the X server does anything with audio at all anyways (i.e. audio would come out of the Linux machine sound card)

Works:
Chromium-ungoogled - Browsed and played YouTube. Only works when video is tiny but browsing seemed fine.
Discord - This is a chromium based web app packaged as a program, and works fine.
wine - Tested IrfanView with wine64 ouputting to WeirdX and scrolled some images, a couple other tests didn't work though.
DOSBox - didn't test any programs, but built in prompt worked and displayed the welcome screen fine.
xterm
xcalc
xeyes - lol
mpv and mplayer both played video! Definitely not hardware accelerated. About 720p size didn't seem choppy.

Doesn't work:
Firefox - seems to need hardware accel
Thunderbird - is firefox in disguise
SeaMonkey
GIMP
Pidgin
kitty, Konsole, probably most "fancier" terms than xterm
xpdf

I don't really have much else I can test unfortunately.

--- End quote ---

Hi Fusion

I downloaded https://sourceforge.net/projects/weirdx/files/WeirdX/1.0.31/weirdx-1.0.31.zip/download

1) I'm using OpenJDK 1.6 that is included on ArcaOS 5.0.7

--- Quote ---[C:\HOME\DESKTOP]java -version
openjdk version "1.6.0_27"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_27-b01-GA5)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

--- End quote ---
I run it with a simple "java -cp weirdx.jar com.jcraft.weirdx.WeirdX"

I can go only to step #6, since I don't have a Linux machine at hand. I can confirm that "netstat -l" reports that port 6002 is open

--- Quote ---
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             AF_INET Address Family:

SOCK   TYPE       LOCAL          STATE    MAX   OVER
                    PORT                  QUEUED QUEUED
=====  =====      ==========    ========  =====  =====
 1439 STREAM            6002  LISTEN         0     0
 2091 STREAM        ipp..631  LISTEN         1     0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             AF_OS2 Address Family:

--- End quote ---

Regards