Author Topic: Qt6 Application Testing  (Read 182471 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Qt6 Application Testing
« Reply #435 on: July 09, 2023, 01:34:39 am »
I get Ç for ALT 0128, both in AE and here in SM. QE (Qt5) gives me nothing.
Looking at Charmap, I can't even find the Euro when in Unicode. Switching to codepage 850, I see the Euro at ALT 0213, and typing it into AE or here gives, €. Blank in QE.
Why the Euro doesn't show up in Unicode here and why ALT 0128 gives the Ç seems strange. Moziila apps should be unicode aware.
Tried a few different fonts as well. Maybe Alex can help

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 09, 2023, 01:52:44 am »
Reading the documentation, x:\os2\book\readme.add,
Code: [Select]
NOTE: The Euro currency symbol is supported in codepage 850 and in
      the Windows 1252 codepage. The Euro currency symbol is not
      available in codepage 437 and in the US keyboard layout.
      Use codepage 850 and the US International keyboard instead.

most keyboards it is altgr-E in OS/2, varies a bit more in DOS or WINOS2 sessions.
US International is a bit weird on OS/2 IIRC, there was an issue recently about it. Actually only touched on it and it is a private issue but it did point to https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=1656.0 which I think is what I remembered.
Alex and Alfredo seem to be the experts.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 09, 2023, 02:19:32 pm »
I get Ç for ALT 0128, both in AE and here in SM. QE (Qt5) gives me nothing.
Looking at Charmap, I can't even find the Euro when in Unicode. Switching to codepage 850, I see the Euro at ALT 0213, and typing it into AE or here gives, €. Blank in QE.
Why the Euro doesn't show up in Unicode here and why ALT 0128 gives the Ç seems strange. Moziila apps should be unicode aware.
Tried a few different fonts as well. Maybe Alex can help

The Euro is available under Unicode in the character map.  But unlike codepage 850, it's not in the first 256 codepoints, so you need to select a leading byte of 20 (Euro is U+20AC).

(I should probably add a scrollbar next to the valueset so you can browse through leading byte wards more intuitively.)

I would expect Alt+128 to give you Ç no matter what the app, because it's coming in as direct keyboard input, not a pre-encoded text value.  Moz will store the value as Unicode internally after you enter it.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 09, 2023, 04:16:13 pm »
It happens to me that with the CodePage 850, using the QT6-632, when I pulse and loose the ALT key, a while later pulse 'e', and jump to the edit of the dooble. It is as if the Alt key was pressed. That is not right.
Saludos

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 09, 2023, 05:09:52 pm »
 Thanks Alex - and indeed, if you copy the euro symbol at U+20AC in the 'character map' app, it will paste into feathernotes (but not AE). Probably a lot of effort would be needed to make the CP850 to unicode translation in QT....

Regards,

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 09, 2023, 05:26:25 pm »
OK, makes sense that it needs a different leading byte, I tried a few but not  20 as depending on the font I tested, most of the glyphs were missing once the leading byte was not zero.
Testing here, I can paste the euro into Qt5 qe.exe fine, then copy and paste it to ae.exe.
Here, in the Qt6 Dooble, pasting from the charmap, gives a double euro, like €€€, hmm, now it is a triple euro. Copy and pasting from qe.exe gives € correctly and copy and pasting from qe.exe to ae.exe and then to here gives �
Seems Qt5 qe.exe handles the unicode, then ae.exe (Pascal?) accepts it but it gets converted to codepage 850 when copying from there.
Why I get double or triple euros when copying from charmap, I don't know but seems like a Qt6 bug.
@David, we have libraries to help with the conversion, namely ICU, which Mozilla also uses. I did have to restore codepage 850 to the list of codepages that Mozilla handled.
Edit: It is actually the behaviour of charmap that causes the doube/triple paste, visible when looking at the Copied characters box, each copied character is added to what is in the clipboard, makes sense for forming words.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 05:33:06 pm by Dave Yeo »

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 09, 2023, 05:43:03 pm »
 Hey Dave,

Interesting you can copy the Unicode euro to AE - here it does not work, I get: Ôé¼ when I try. What version of AE are you using? I have the latest 1.9.9.

I don't see the multiple euros like this: € when I copy from the unicode character map to Dooble...

Regards,

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 09, 2023, 06:02:01 pm »
Using AE ver 1.9.8 currently for testing. This only worked after I pasted into qe.exe, then copied and pasted from there to AE. Pasting directly I get the same results as you. I assume qe converted it to codepage 850. The double € was operator error.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 09, 2023, 07:09:22 pm »
 OK, I see... I can also paste unicode into qe, then copy and paste into ae, thanks.

Regards,

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 09, 2023, 11:57:01 pm »
That sounds about right.

The character map copies characters to clipboard as both text/unicode and as codepage text.  Apps which are aware of the text/unicode clipboard format will paste that.  All other apps will paste the codepage text. 

When copying as codepage text, the character map converts into whatever encoding you are currently looking at; if you have Unicode selected, it will use UTF-8, in all other cases it will use the direct codepage byte values. 

You can thus force it to use the system codepage by changing the character map's selected encoding to System before pasting into AE.  (When you change encodings, the current contents of the clipboard panel are automatically re-copied based on the new selection.)

https://github.com/altsan/os2-ucharmap/blob/master/dbcsmap.c#L1720

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 10, 2023, 02:05:07 am »
With the Tea editor, running it Qt6, I'm able to use the linux 'Characters' app to copy the Euro symbol to the clipboard and paste it into Tea and it displays find - but I can't input it from the keyboard. Note this could also be because I'm VNCing into the OS/2 box.

There is also an example character map util that is part of qt - \qt6\examples\widgets\widgets\charactermap\charactermap.exe

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 10, 2023, 11:38:33 am »
Hey All,
and what happens if you adjust INSTALL_DESTINATION to strip to ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/shared only?

Yeah I'm sure that would work too. Interestingly, I checked cmake_install.txt from a linux build of qtdeclarative-6.5.1, which has:
# Set the install prefix
if(NOT DEFINED CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX)
  set(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX "/usr/local/Qt-6.5.1/examples/quick/animation")
endif()
string(REGEX REPLACE "/$" "" CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}")

&

if(CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT STREQUAL "Unspecified" OR NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT)
  file(INSTALL DESTINATION "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/examples/quick/animation/shared" TYPE FILE FILES "/home/psmedley/qtdeclarative-everywhere-src-6.5.1/build/examples/quick/animation/shared/qmldir")
endif()

So i'm not sure how it works on linux either - there must be something I'm missing.....

Well... I ran the install on linux, and sure enough:
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/Qt-6.5.1/examples/quick/animation/examples/quick/animation/shared/libanimation_shared.so

So it installs into a similar path to OS/2 - but linux is obviously able to find it.....

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #447 on: August 06, 2023, 11:15:01 pm »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 06, 2023, 11:31:14 pm »
Well... I ran the install on linux, and sure enough:
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/Qt-6.5.1/examples/quick/animation/examples/quick/animation/shared/libanimation_shared.so

So it installs into a similar path to OS/2 - but linux is obviously able to find it.....
With finding out how Java programs works on OS/2 I had very frequent the problem that the complete file specification was too long for OS/2, there is a limit. May be this plays here too. The complete file specification wil then be truncated and if you don't have an error logger specific on that part you will never know.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #449 on: August 27, 2023, 03:52:06 pm »
Hello

I forgot to add the latest Qt6 Dooble - https://smedley.id.au/tmp/dooble-2023.07.15-os2-qt-6.3.x-20230724.zip

It is also now on the first page of the thread.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.