Author Topic: AN posted pricing for 5.1  (Read 12259 times)

HorndFrog

• View Profile
AN posted pricing for 5.1
« on: June 13, 2023, 01:43:05 am »
Hello everyone. AN just posted their pricing list for 5.1. Here's the link https://www.arcanoae.com/blog/

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: AN posted pricing for 5.1
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 04:09:20 am »
Thanks for sharing.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Craig Miller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 04:18:09 pm »
Got to pay to play, totally worth it! Excited to get a copy.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 05:39:37 pm »
Any idea when you can actually buy a copy/license??
Matt W

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 09:10:50 am »
Hi, do you know where it is possible to find the real end of subscription end support ?
This date is important for those ordering the new 5.1.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 03:05:54 pm »
To find your subscription end date,

1. log into Arca Noae
2. click on download center
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 01:38:05 am »
So we have pricing but my question is - is there anything earth shattering that would make me want to buy it, considering my practise of 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it'.  5.0.7 works on my computer and does everything I want so I am not considering upgrading  unless there is something outstanding in the new version.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 02:19:06 am »
Well it would keep Arca Noae running. 5.08 installed on my systems. By the way. but I am going to upgrade. Just having a non buggy way to install with a NVMe is worth a lot to me.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 07:18:46 am »
Well it would keep Arca Noae running. 5.08 installed on my systems. By the way. but I am going to upgrade. Just having a non buggy way to install with a NVMe is worth a lot to me.
So we have pricing but my question is - is there anything earth shattering that would make me want to buy it, considering my practise of 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it'.  5.0.7 works on my computer and does everything I want so I am not considering upgrading  unless there is something outstanding in the new version.

Whether you want to spend more for ArcaOS 5.1, depends exactly what you already have, and what 5.1 will do for you that 5.0.8 won't do. The main things are better DOS/WinOS2  support, and support for some (hopefully most) UEFI machines. You can also boot from GPT disks.

Some things will not work. Doodle Screen Saver can no longer use the DPMS support to turn off screens (apparently it is on the todo list, but not near the top). That is okay for screens that have a switch, but laptops don't turn the screen off (I, personally, see that as a minor regression).

NVME install is probably no different than what 5.0.8 does. I don't know of any problems with that, other than you may need to change he order of the drivers, to make the drive order what you want. I have no idea how the installer could read your mind, and do it the way that you want to do it. The installer does it in the way that most people would want it done.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 10:52:40 am »
To find your subscription end date,

1. log into Arca Noae
2. click on download center

Thanks

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 02:38:24 pm »
Doug, It is your money, it is your decision. Just like it is my money and it is my decision.

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 04:44:38 pm »
I will also be upgrading to 5.1 as soon as it's available. I have the 5.0.8 update installed but I'm looking forward to the improved DOS/WinOS2 support. Plus, as already mentioned, it will help Arca Noae to continue development. So for those reasons, the modest upgrade price is well worth it for me.

Tony.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 07:11:55 pm »
Doug, It is your money, it is your decision. Just like it is my money and it is my decision.

True, but be sure that you are making an informed decision

I did forget to mention multiple languages will be available. Apparently not all of them are ready to go, and won't be available immediately.

I will also be upgrading to 5.1 as soon as it's available. I have the 5.0.8 update installed but I'm looking forward to the improved DOS/WinOS2 support. Plus, as already mentioned, it will help Arca Noae to continue development. So for those reasons, the modest upgrade price is well worth it for me.

Tony.

The DOS/WinOS2 support only works in UEFI mode. If your machine doesn't support UEFI, it isn't going to change anything.

You are correct, that purchasing a copy will help support the overall effort, but it may not make sense to upgrade, if you can't make use of the new features.

Note the terminology:
UPDATE: change drom a 5.0.x version to a later 5.0.x version.
UPGRADE: Change from a 5.0.x version to a 5.1.x version.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 08:15:23 pm »
Doug thank you for your concern but I have weighted the pros and cons.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 10:14:46 pm »
Doug thank you for your concern but I have weighted the pros and cons.

You probably thought about it. Many will blindly upgrade, without considering what they are doing. Don't get me wrong, ArcaOS 5.1 is a huge step forward (with a few minor backward steps), if you have the hardware to run it (it does install, and run, without UEFI, but it is basically 5.0.8, when you do that), or if you want/need one of the new features. Otherwise, you are spending money to keep Arca Noae in business (not a bad thing). Arca Noae is continuing to support the 5.0.x line, for a reason.