Author Topic: Odin Question - Palm Desktop  (Read 5158 times)

christech

• View Profile
Odin Question - Palm Desktop
« on: August 10, 2023, 10:21:23 pm »
Would I be able to sync with USB on my Palm under Palm Desktop running under Odin? I’m trying to get Palm Desktop installed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:41:48 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Odin Question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 10:33:30 pm »
Probably not as I don't think Odin understands USB, but you can try. I use to sync using native tools over a serial connection, PilotLink IIRC. There are USB serial converters that work on OS/2

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Odin Question - Palm Desktop
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 10:47:00 pm »
Hi Christech

Sorry for now being of much assistant, Even that on the old days I had a PalmPilot, I'm not sure I ever tried it with OS/2.

I just found these:
- A report that Palm Desktop 3.0.1 used to work with Odin on Warp 4 FP12.
- Some old Java Palm related apps that used to work on OS/2.
- http://www.stellarcom.org/palmstuff/
and
- https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/info/articles/PalmUnderOS2_2005-10-22_jp.zip (Japanese Article that needs to be translated)

But please post back you progress (good or bad). I'm also not sure if the sync will work directly with the USB cradle.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 10:53:57 pm »
Hello

It was etching to give it a try.

- Palm Desktop 3.1.1 worked with Odin, the installer worked (I ignored the sync part). It runs, first with "pe setup.exe" and once it is installed with "pe palm.exe"
- https://palmdb.net/app/palm-desktop

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 08:34:20 pm »
The latest/last version of Palm Desktop I know of is v 6.2.2.  I could not get that to install using ODIN.

It does install in a WinXP vitual machine running vbox.  However I could not get HotSync to run on that system.  Plus there is the problem of having to keep  the WinXP/VM running in order for Palm Desktop alarms to work.  It MIGHT be possible to sync via a wireless network with that setup, but I have not tried.

I do use a Palm T|X and the Palm Desktop.  The setup I am using is an HP t610 thin client running Windows XP embedded. I needed a machine running 24/7 for my home automation and phone systems anyway, so it made sense to also install the Palm Desktop on this machine.  The HP machine was cheap ($35), fanless, and uses a little less than 14 watts at idle.  Palm Desktop v 6.2.2 will run on Win7 if you want to use a separate machine but run Win7 instead of WinXP.

If I want to access the Palm Desktop from OS/2 I start the VNC server on the HP and using PM VNC client on my OS/2 machine.  But most of the time I leave the HP network cable unplugged, wireless disabled, and use a KVM to access the HP thin client - because one of the things I use the Palm Desktop for is a password manager; hackers can't steal the passwords from a machine they can't access.

Another alternative is one I used to use:  install Palm on both OS/2 (in this case WinXP running in Vbox on OS/2) and on a windows machine that will be used only for Hot Syncing.  Point the Windows machine to a drive on OS/2 where the Palm Desktop is installed.  Fire up the Windows machine when you want to do a Hot Sync.  Since both machines (OS/2 and Windows) are sharing the same Palm files the Hot Sync will update the Palm Desktop running on WinXP / vbox   or in ODIN if you are using a earlier version of Palm Desktop and an earlier handheld.)

FWIW  I sometimes experience Hotsync stop working due to issues with the contacts between the handheld and the cradle. A little WD-40 on both the handheld and cable always fixes the problem.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 03:57:33 pm by Doug Clark »

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 04:40:48 pm »
Yep! I'm a Palm T|X user as well as my trusty T3. I still haven't gotten XP to run in VirtualBox yet.. I have a Linux machine at home I could sync with if I need to. More fun on ArcaOS though!

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 10:59:13 pm »
For whatever reason, I could't get Win98 to install in VBox. WinXP and Win2k have installed..

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 05:04:20 pm »
Hi Doug
The latest/last version of Palm Desktop I know of is v 6.2.2.  I could not get that to install using ODIN.

Since the Win32 installer is failing with Odin...

What about, installing Palm Desktop 6.2.2 on Windows XP and zipping the binaries extracted there, copy them to OS/2 and try to run it with Odin?
Do you have the change to try that?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 06:09:06 pm »
I'm going to try this later. I installed Palm Desktop on my XP VM but then WinXP crashed and wouldn't boot. Going to try to install WinXP again.