Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions  (Read 83502 times)

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2023, 01:58:43 pm »
I did a test update on my T420 and that worked great, but the installer doesn't switch the disk to GPT and doesn't add an EFI boot partition, but installs the EFI drivers.
So, I can boot via CSM or EFI (via the USB stick) and in EFI mode Win/OS2 will start.
I didn't test yet to convert the disk with Linux (GParted, DFSEE wants to delete all your partitions for the conversion) and add the EFI partition to it.

ArcaOS 5.1.0. is new to every one. But I think some things are being mixed up here.
What do you mean with the term ?   "ïnstalls EFI driver" does "not add the EFI boot partition".
You see that is not possible best I can tell.  If you have no EFI ESP partition and the UEFI loader is not presebt ArcaIS will not boot.
Open a ticket at https://mantis.arcanoae.com and attach testlog generic.
In parallel you can upload your testlog here as well.

Roderick

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2023, 03:27:05 pm »
Has anyone done the upgrade option for the install to 5.1?  I did a fresh install went perfectly however I would like to upgrade the machine that I use Arca on, and hoping not to have to redo the whole drive?

You can upgrade a 5.0 installation to 5.1. The disk will still be MBR. Nothing will change except the volume you upgraded. If you want to change MBR to GPT, then you'll wipe the entire drive.

I didn't test one, but there are products that backup /wipe drive /format GPT /restore. I doubt they play nice with OS/2.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2023, 05:38:11 pm »
I did a test update on my T420 and that worked great, but the installer doesn't switch the disk to GPT and doesn't add an EFI boot partition, but installs the EFI drivers.
So, I can boot via CSM or EFI (via the USB stick) and in EFI mode Win/OS2 will start.
I didn't test yet to convert the disk with Linux (GParted, DFSEE wants to delete all your partitions for the conversion) and add the EFI partition to it.

ArcaOS 5.1.0. is new to every one. But I think some things are being mixed up here.
What do you mean with the term ?   "ïnstalls EFI driver" does "not add the EFI boot partition".
You see that is not possible best I can tell.  If you have no EFI ESP partition and the UEFI loader is not presebt ArcaIS will not boot.
Open a ticket at https://mantis.arcanoae.com and attach testlog generic.
In parallel you can upload your testlog here as well.

Roderick
I booted the USB from EFI, so the installer knew, that EFI is enabled. The update then adds some entries to config.sys like VEFI.
You still can boot from CSM, but the new driver will generate startup errors, which is to expected.
But you are wrong, if you say, you can't boot ArcaOS without the ESP partition. It's definitely possible.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2023, 07:03:26 pm »
Hello

Seems that I have to relearn more things about the PC with UEFI.

"The EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) system partition or ESP is a partition on a data storage device (usually a hard disk drive or solid-state drive) that is used by computers having the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). When a computer is booted, UEFI firmware loads files stored on the ESP to start installing operating systems and various utilities. "
Source: Wikipedia.

Is that ESP partition optional or mandatory on the HDD for an UEFI install?

Regards
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 07:05:32 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2023, 07:20:05 pm »
Hello

Seems that I have to relearn more things about the PC with UEFI.

"The EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) system partition or ESP is a partition on a data storage device (usually a hard disk drive or solid-state drive) that is used by computers having the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). When a computer is booted, UEFI firmware loads files stored on the ESP to start installing operating systems and various utilities. "
Source: Wikipedia.

Is that ESP partition optional or mandatory on the HDD for an UEFI install?

Regards
You need some ESP partition to boot from, but it hasn't to be on the same disk, as the system you want to boot.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2023, 07:23:38 pm »

The biggest problem here is invalid assumptions and expectations. The first is that the installer was designed to upgrade an existing partition from CSM to EFI. It wasn't: it was intended to upgrade 5.0 CSM to 5.1 CSM _or_ a do new 5.1 EFI install. As you have demonstrated, the CSM->EFI upgrade path is available - you just have to finish the job (see below).

The other incorrect assumption is that "something" would automatically convert your disk to GPT even though such a feature isn't mentioned in the documentation nor does it appear in the installer's UI.. As it happens, the only known OS/2-based MBR to GPT converter is sitting here on my hard drive. I offered it to one of AN's principals but he declined the offer because he couldn't imagine a reason someone would want such a thing. Sad but true...

To finish your CSM->EFI conversion, you just need to create the EFI partition. Here's how:
* boot up yur new install using the USB strick
* open MiniLVM
* select System->Create EFI partition; follow the instructions
* select System->Boot Menu->Install/Update; follow the instructions
* eject the USB stick and reboot - you should get the AN Launcher menu (i.e. AN's EFI boot manager)

Edit: MiniLVM offers these options for a GPT disk. I _assume_ they're also available for MBR disks. If not, it's still easy to create a bootable EFI partition - you just have to copy some files.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:05:52 pm by Rich Walsh »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2023, 07:35:34 pm »
I may be an old fogey, but why are people trying to turn OS/2 into a version of windows because that is what they are trying to do copying the MS disk format and layout.  Even UEFI is a MS attempt to stop Linux and other OSs from booting - it didn't work stopping Linux and it Shouldn't stop OS/2.

I have several computers (OS/2 W4, ArcaOS, Linux Mint and Win7 as a data logger) near me, all connected to a single 28 inch 16x10 monitor plus keyboard and trackball via an HDMI-usb switch.  All of those computers have multiple disks fitted, all MBR and running without problems.  I have NO intention of changing that setup.

So far everything reads against upgrading to the new version unless someone can pul a must have item out of the bag and no rpm/yum doesn't cut it - I gave up on SUSE Linux because of that.

RTAN

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2023, 09:15:19 pm »
At the moment mantis.arcanoae.com is up and running, unlike www.arcanoae.com. Maybe a different server?
So you should be able to open a ticket.

Thanks but curiously I can't login at present ("bad username or password") - I'll contact AN Support directly and ask them to help me get logged-in so I can file a bug report.

RTAN

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2023, 09:21:40 pm »
Did the Wifi used to work before on ArcaOS 5.0.x ?
On the information I got the "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter" worked with GenMAC
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T60

Hi Martin,

I didn't previously use ArcaOS 5.0.x, I was a genuine Warp 4 user waiting patiently in the wings for ArcaOS v5.1! I'm sure it's just user error so I'll spend a little more time on this over the weekend and let you know either way whether the Lenovo T60 can now be considered fully functional. It definitely sees the WiFi NIC so it's likely either a local settings issue or possibly the fact that my APs have defaulted to WPA-3 only (which might not be supported by ArcaOS 5.1).

Best,
Richard.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2023, 09:26:35 pm »
At the moment mantis.arcanoae.com is up and running, unlike www.arcanoae.com. Maybe a different server?
So you should be able to open a ticket.

Thanks but curiously I can't login at present ("bad username or password") - I'll contact AN Support directly and ask them to help me get logged-in so I can file a bug report.

Make sure that you don't use the part after @ for your username. Eg if you use rtan@example.com, log in with simple rtan

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2023, 09:41:57 pm »
I may be an old fogey, but why are people trying to turn OS/2 into a version of windows because that is what they are trying to do copying the MS disk format and layout.  Even UEFI is a MS attempt to stop Linux and other OSs from booting - it didn't work stopping Linux and it Shouldn't stop OS/2.

Hi Ivan, officially Arca Noae does recommend using MBR and CSM (unless things have changed recently).
Two things, CSM is going or gone away with new computers so UEFI is the only option.
The advantages of GPT is easier co-existence with other OS's in particular Windows, so buy a computer with Windows and want to keep Windows, shrink the Windows partition and install ArcaOS in a GPT partition rather then having to erase the disk and reinstall Windows in a MBR setup, if current Windows even allows that.
The other advantage is when you buy a new 4TB HD, usually OS/2 can only use half that disk. Partition it with GPT into 2 2TB partitions and OS/2 can use the whole disk, seeing it as 2 HD's, same with larger disks.

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2023, 11:07:30 pm »
Downloaded my ArcaOS 5.1 and made the bootable USB stick.. I am doing an in-place upgrade and I can get to 60% and then it fails. Where to start troubleshooting?

I reported the issue on Mantis.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 12:05:32 am by christech »

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2023, 11:23:31 pm »
If I try to "Boot From Harddisk" after the first reboot I get a Invalid code for JFS 0000:5AEB

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2023, 09:18:29 am »
have defaulted to WPA-3 only (which might not be supported by ArcaOS 5.1).
Our XWLAN / wpa_supplicant definitely don't support WPA3. As we don't even have nearly current wifi NIC drivers there's no need for further wpa_supplicant/XWLAN development also.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2023, 11:43:22 am »
The other incorrect assumption is that "something" would automatically convert your disk to GPT even though such a feature isn't mentioned in the documentation nor does it appear in the installer's UI.. As it happens, the only known OS/2-based MBR to GPT converter is sitting here on my hard drive. I offered it to one of AN's principals but he declined the offer because he couldn't imagine a reason someone would want such a thing. Sad but true...
If you assume, that someone would update to 5.1, i.e. on a working system, but then would have leave MBR as it is, then yes, you don't need the tool.
But I really don't want to reinstall my development machine, just to have GPT partition. On the other, hand, the only way to also have Windows 10, Linux and MacOS (!) on the T480, was to install a second flash drive just to have ArcaOS on it and have my boot manager reboot through the BIOS to have boot the MBR disk.
I would be happy to test your tool.

To finish your CSM->EFI conversion, you just need to create the EFI partition. Here's how:
* boot up yur new install using the USB strick
* open MiniLVM
* select System->Create EFI partition; follow the instructions
* select System->Boot Menu->Install/Update; follow the instructions
* eject the USB stick and reboot - you should get the AN Launcher menu (i.e. AN's EFI boot manager)

Edit: MiniLVM offers these options for a GPT disk. I _assume_ they're also available for MBR disks. If not, it's still easy to create a bootable EFI partition - you just have to copy some files.
Do you know, whether the EFI files installed via MiniLVM are the same as the ones on the USB stick?