Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions  (Read 83479 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2023, 07:17:41 pm »
Hi David
Now that I have used it for awhile, I can actually say it boots faster, shuts down faster, usb connection is faster, and the system is more stable.  Win-OS2 sessions and DOS window sessions still hang system.

Which hardware are you using? did you install ArcaOS 5.1 with UEFI enabled or normal CSM/BIOS configuration?

Regards

normal CSM/BIOS configuration.  This is an older Thinkpas.

Hi David

I see, in that case there should be no improvement on DOS-WinOS2 Sessions.
You may already know about it, but I have to ask, did you used the viop patch/workarround in the past?
- https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=1193
In my old Thinkpad L420 (non UEFI) machine it worked for me to fix the DOS session, but it is possible that my issue was different.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2023, 10:26:21 pm »
I downloaded the viop.sys and full screens work now, but not the window sessions as before.  Surprised this was not added to 5.1.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:28:16 pm by David Graser »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2023, 11:26:52 am »
VOIP.SYS was only made for limited amount of Thinkpads that had an issue with the VDM.
That the DOS windows does not work is known. You need UEFI boot for this.

Roderick

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2023, 04:09:15 pm »
I just installed arcaos5.1 from scratch, I was very disappointed, it was hanging without any other application open.
But I remembered that I had a copy of 508, and checking things I found this in :

C:\MPTN\ETC\acpid.cfg

and changing only these two values changed everything completely.
; IdleCount: Number of CheckIntervals needed to determine system idle, default=5
IdleCount = 0.3125

; CheckInterval: Delay time between checking cpu load and temperature (seconds), default=1
CheckInterval = 1.3125

If anyone wants to try it.

I am experimenting with other values, and with 0.3125 and 125 , I have 8 processors with less than 25% evenly distributed all, 6 taps open, a youtube video in the background, with Dooble 632. Interesting.
Sorry, modyfy 0.03125 and 125
Saludos
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 04:20:48 pm by roberto »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2023, 10:52:58 pm »
I just installed arcaos5.1 from scratch, I was very disappointed, it was hanging without any other application open.
But I remembered that I had a copy of 508, and checking things I found this in :

C:\MPTN\ETC\acpid.cfg

and changing only these two values changed everything completely.
; IdleCount: Number of CheckIntervals needed to determine system idle, default=5
IdleCount = 0.3125

; CheckInterval: Delay time between checking cpu load and temperature (seconds), default=1
CheckInterval = 1.3125

If anyone wants to try it.

I am experimenting with other values, and with 0.3125 and 125 , I have 8 processors with less than 25% evenly distributed all, 6 taps open, a youtube video in the background, with Dooble 632. Interesting.
Sorry, modyfy 0.03125 and 125
Saludos

Best wishes Roberto for 2024. But your postings has 0 info with which we could even start to help you..;
But please just do not try just as a short in the dark.  That is what you are doing.
I would strongly recommend not changing these settings...  Why I have not seen ANYBODY ever changing these settings.

Did you disable hyperthreading ? Can you upload a testlog generic ?

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2024, 12:49:15 pm »
But please just do not try just as a short in the dark.  That is what you are doing.
Can you rewrite this line? I don,t undertand it.
I would strongly recommend not changing these settings...  Why I have not seen ANYBODY ever changing these settings.
Stability increases me and the system improves. Are you suggesting that I don't modify anything, and that 50% of the startups fail with a system crash?
From what I have seen, some computers work better with hyperthreading ON, and others work better OFF. For me that is a myth.
What I have seen in some Bios, is that they have an option to select Legacy mode, or Modern hardware option.
In legacy mode, the dbexpert works perfect, but a lot of programs do not even open, Lucide...., in Modern hardware is more compatible with all programs, but the dbexpert sometimes closes unexpectedly.
I attach a generic testlog
Saludos

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2024, 02:47:14 pm »
Hello Roberto

From what I have seen, some computers work better with hyperthreading ON, and others work better OFF. For me that is a myth.

On my case, on the Thinkpad T14s 1st Gen, when I got "hyperthreading ON", I started to get boot freezes with ArcaOS 5.1. Once I disabled it, I was able to get ArcaOS working. Do you see any difference when you turn it off? do you want to try for a few days and see if there is any difference?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2024, 03:16:55 pm »
Can you rewrite this line? I don,t undertand it.
Stability increases me and the system improves. Are you suggesting that I don't modify anything, and that 50% of the startups fail with a system crash?
What I have seen in some Bios, is that they have an option to select Legacy mode, or Modern hardware option.
In legacy mode, the dbexpert works perfect, but a lot of programs do not even open, Lucide...., in Modern hardware is more compatible with all programs, but the dbexpert sometimes closes unexpectedly.
I attach a generic testlog
Saludos

I mean it comes across as if you are just taking a gamble. As I typed I have never seen anybody else change the settings you just mentioned.
What do you base it on it fixes your system ? You are most likely changing the timing and you get lucky.
If you consider that a fix, well its work around...

Did you notice that your system did install (phase 1 and phase 2). There is reason this works..
Because the PSD runs with /MAXCPU=1. There is only one CPU core active when the installer runs...

Look its a free world. But all information indicates switching on hyperthreading with OS/2 is simply not recommended.
Its already known for years that supporting hyperthreading would require kernel changes. The testlog you send states:

More CPUs (8) than cores (4) detected.
HyperThreading/SMT can cause problems for OS/2 systems.

*** This system has a configuration that may cause system problems and may make
*** it difficult or impossible to provide support.

It might run better is your experience. But you are going against the advise of David from A.N. who did most of the work on the ACPI.PSD.
Again its a free world but hyperthreading in genereal is not recommended with OS/2.

It seems hyperthreading on OS/2 on modern systems seem to work, but the cause is unknown.  In the past we have seen systems hang at the bootlogo or when PM comes up, or just freeze while the system is running.
Hence the genereal recommendation turn off hyperthreading.

Now do you use startup.cmd or the startup folder to start any programs ?

I would recommend for now to keep the virtualaddresslimit set to 2048 and not 3072.

One other thing I noticed (which I can not explain) is this:
----- Contents of file: C:\var\log\xwptrap.log ---------------------------------
*** Excessive file size truncated. Showing the last 20000 bytes. ***

0065F940: 0065F624  PMMERGE  00:FFFFFFFF

0065F150: 0065F4C4  PMMERGE  00:FFFFFFFF

Look we are more then willing to help you, but please provide more information. You write an email that you are not happy with 5.1.0. Then state you modified a setting and that seems to make it work... But little to no information what you did to your system after install

Do a new install either UEFI or legacy and make a small log what you modify on the system.
And please answer this question:
Now do you use startup.cmd or the startup folder to start any programs ?|

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2024, 03:18:13 pm »
Hello Roberto

On my case, on the Thinkpad T14s 1st Gen, when I got "hyperthreading ON", I started to get boot freezes with ArcaOS 5.1. Once I disabled it, I was able to get ArcaOS working. Do you see any difference when you turn it off? do you want to try for a few days and see if there is any difference?

Regards

You got the freezes during startup or when ArcaOS was loaded and you loaded a program ?

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2024, 03:25:43 pm »
Hello Roberto

Regards

You got the freezes during startup or when ArcaOS was loaded and you loaded a program ?

Roderick

Hello Roderick

In my case, when I got the T14s, ArcaOS 5.1 USB flash will not boot. I got into the BIOS and disabled "Secure Boot". Now the ArcaOS USB booted but it will freeze on during boot, so I did the second recommendation, to "Disable Hyperthreading" and I was able to install ArcaOS 5.1.

Now, because of this chat, I made a quick test, I enabled Hyper-threading now that ArcaOS is installed and it booted. But it is too early yet for me to say if that is stable or not. I will report back if I get any problem.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2024, 05:15:38 pm »
I tested it for months, with arcaos508, and it’s the same, but slower. Until one day I realized a difference. With 4 processors could not open https://html5test.com and with 8 if it could.
saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2024, 07:27:56 pm »
Yes, I'm attaching a photo of the startup.cmd
I would recommend for now to keep the virtualaddresslimit set to 2048 and not 3072.
I have to try it.
----- Contents of file: C:\var\log\xwptrap.log ---------------------------------

yes, you're right, I've never seen it             

saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2024, 07:36:27 pm »
In both cases, it sometimes hung on the boot. And other times it would hang during use with other apps open. Now it doesn't hang.

Small log after install the system:
Modify the virtualadrres to 3072, previus 1536
Modify the screen, from 1920x1080 16M   to   1920x1080 64k
Modify the screen, from previous video in memory   to   NO previous. (more memory for me), but I can not move windows well.
I can really live without moving windows

Saludos

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2024, 08:07:03 pm »
Yes, I'm attaching a photo of the startup.cmd
I have to try it.

yes, you're right, I've never seen it             

saludos

That is the startup folder. I need the file startup.cmd if you are using it.

Roderick

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2024, 08:24:08 pm »
No, I don't have startup.cmd in my system. I only use the startup folther
saludos
modify: attach the xwptrap.log
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 08:42:59 pm by roberto »