Author Topic: Multiple installations of AOS?  (Read 9369 times)

Andrew Stephenson

• View Profile
Multiple installations of AOS?
« on: August 30, 2023, 03:34:17 pm »
This is my newbie post to the Forum, so please excuse dropped clangers.

Way back, around the Dawn Of Humanity when IBM was marketing OS/2, their legal paperwork included text that could be reduced to: "We don't care how many machines you install a copy of OS/2 on, if only one is in use at any one time."

Is this still true of AOS?  My hope is to use a desktop machine for work (mainly fiction writing with scraps of 'C' programming), keeping a notebook as emergency backup (once purged of Windows 10).  If materials must be moved between them, I can use USB sticks, thereby keeping only one m/c in use at a time.  Does this count as legal and ethical behaviour?  Or must I invest in 2x AOS-5.1?

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: Multiple installations of AOS?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 03:44:35 pm »
This is not effective in OS/2's current version of Arca OS. Read their license. I think I have read that it was an error in the original OS/2 license. But it says what it does.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 11:53:07 pm »
it shows up during installation, close to the beginning and won't let you proceed until you scroll to the bottom. So boot from your stick, choose install and then read the license, then cancel the install.
I read it in detail before 5.0 was released and it did say one install and Lewis verified I was reading it correctly, so legally you can't do what you'd like. Ethically, it is your choice, very doubtful that any lawyers will come for you.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 07:26:45 pm »
Hello.

Is this document what you are looking for?

https://www.arcanoae.com/wp-content/uploads/wiki/ARCAOS_5_0_EULA_v1_0.pdf

This seems to be for version 5.0, not sure if it was updated or if it the same for 5.1.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 01:38:33 pm »
This is my newbie post to the Forum, so please excuse dropped clangers.

Way back, around the Dawn Of Humanity when IBM was marketing OS/2, their legal paperwork included text that could be reduced to: "We don't care how many machines you install a copy of OS/2 on, if only one is in use at any one time."

Is this still true of AOS?  My hope is to use a desktop machine for work (mainly fiction writing with scraps of 'C' programming), keeping a notebook as emergency backup (once purged of Windows 10).  If materials must be moved between them, I can use USB sticks, thereby keeping only one m/c in use at a time.  Does this count as legal and ethical behaviour?  Or must I invest in 2x AOS-5.1?

At Mensys I worked on the EULA license text.  You are allowed to install OS/2 only on one system or Virtual machine. This goes back to the OS/2 EULA.
You are allowed to make as many backups as you want. But you are not allowed to install on multiple PC's.
Best i can tell the same applies to ArcaOS. I understood at a Warpstock Arca Noae its agreement with IBM also ties them to the OS/4 Warp 4 EULA.

In the eCS license text an error slipped that I had written. It was intended to read you are only allowed to use more then 3 personal licenses of eCS.
This can also be read that eCS can be installed on 3 systems (personal version). But this is NOT correct.

Roderick

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 01:48:42 pm »
Then there is the question of whether I need the Personal or Commercial AOS.  If I, a sole person, write a novel and flog it to a publisher (hey, one can dream), that's commerce, right?  But if AOS helps make a communicable form of the novel from a version previously fashioned in my mind...?

I'm not speaking for Arca Noae, but...

TTBOMK, "commercial" use of software means any of:
  • Using the software as part of running a business (whether incorporated or not)
  • Using the software to directly earn income (e.g. doing consultancy on it, reselling it as part of an integrated product, etc.)
  • Using the software to support an income-generating infrastructure (e.g. using it to develop commercial software, running an income-generating website on it, etc.)

Your novel question gets into fuzzy territory.  If you use word processing software to write a novel, which you then publish and earn income from, that would likely count as commercial use of the word processor.  Anything at a further remove from the activity is more ambiguous IMO.  Does it count as commercial use of the OS you run the word processor on?  (That isn't quite the same as the developing-software example above, because most likely neither the word processor nor the published novel depend on that particular OS to function.)   Commercial use of the computer you run the OS on?  Commercial use of the home where the computer is located?  Commercial use of the electricity you use to power the computer?  I think the answer to all of those is "maybe, but it depends".

Maybe a simple rule of thumb would be to use your local government's definition of what qualifies as a business expense.

Some interesting (though not very conclusive) discussion on the topic.  There isn't really a cut-and-dried answer.
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/12642/how-is-commercial-use-of-software-defined

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 02:25:47 pm »
Then there is the question of whether I need the Personal or Commercial AOS.  If I, a sole person, write a novel and flog it to a publisher (hey, one can dream), that's commerce, right?  But if AOS helps make a communicable form of the novel from a version previously fashioned in my mind...?
Hello

I may have a different view of this. If Andrew haven't receive any monetary compensation to write the novel, is not commercial use yet. At the moment he finish his novel and get a monetary deal with a publishing house or publish his book for sale at Amazon (with or without a publisher), at that moment he need to switch his license to commercial.

Yes, it is fuzzy territory, but there is big difference between "potentially getting a million dollars for a unfinished novel" and actually getting it  ;D

Regards
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:18:11 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 02:57:17 pm »
I personally have two licenses, and I am planning on a third. Since there is not a license or key install involved it is totally on your ethics and morality. It is important to realize that it is important for Arca Noae to keep developing.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 03:12:07 pm »
In the eCS license text an error slipped that I had written. It was intended to read you are only allowed to use more then 3 personal licenses of eCS.

This can also be read that eCS can be installed on 3 systems (personal version). But this is NOT correct.

Did you mean 5?

"eComStation 2.1 versions:
eComStation 2.1 is released in two flavours:

The Home & Student version can be used by any private or small office user. As a private or small office user, it is allowed to have up to 5 licenses installed for production usage. This version includes 6 months of Software Subscription Services.

If more than 5 licenses are needed, it is required to purchase the Business Edition. The Business Edition includes 12 months of Software Subscription Services. Volume discounts are available for the Business Edition."

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 04:36:02 pm »

Did you mean 5?

"eComStation 2.1 versions:
eComStation 2.1 is released in two flavours:

Sorry I wrote that text about 12 years ago when I still worked at Mensys. It was intended to READ if you want to use MORE then 5 license you need to buy a commercial license.
It NEVER intended to imply you can use eCS personal license in upto 5 devices at the same time. Thats a violation of the OS/2 EULA.

Roderick

The Home & Student version can be used by any private or small office user. As a private or small office user, it is allowed to have up to 5 licenses installed for production usage. This version includes 6 months of Software Subscription Services.

If more than 5 licenses are needed, it is required to purchase the Business Edition. The Business Edition includes 12 months of Software Subscription Services. Volume discounts are available for the Business Edition."

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 04:58:21 am »
Sorry I wrote that text about 12 years ago when I still worked at Mensys. It was intended to READ if you want to use MORE then 5 license you need to buy a commercial license.
It NEVER intended to imply you can use eCS personal license in upto 5 devices at the same time. Thats a violation of the OS/2 EULA.

Roderick
I know, I was not wondering about the license useage, but about the number 3 vs 5
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 05:00:17 am by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 05:03:53 pm »
You can always contact Arca Noae and ask for advice, they're usually quite helpful