Author Topic: Test comparison - Upgrade 5.0.7 vs Fresh install in Virtual Box  (Read 4383 times)

david.l.hart

• View Profile
    • https://oscollector.wordpress.com/
Test comparison - Upgrade 5.0.7 vs Fresh install in Virtual Box
« on: September 10, 2023, 04:09:27 am »
I made a copy of my VirtualBox ArcaOS 5.0.7 in order to upgrade it to 5.1.0 to see how well that worked. When I checked the results of the upgrade it looked pretty good. 

I did notice something odd though with the upgrade which was that the new ArcaMapper only had a logon icon while the fresh install had 8 items.  The upgrade also was missing the exe files for those 8 icons.  The Fresh install was complete and the new ArcaMapper was able to connect to a Windows 10 computer on my network but I have not yet been able to connect to Linux. I will have to do some more reading on this but first glance it appears it only works on modern Windows peers.  Maybe it also works on networks with domain controllers but I need to research this some more.

Also missing from the upgrade was the Arca Package manager.

The upgrade left all my installed programs (OS/2 and WinOS2) working fine and that is a time saver for sure.

With new releases there are bound to be issues likely fixed in 5.1.1 :)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Test comparison - Upgrade 5.0.7 vs Fresh install in Virtual Box
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 04:12:25 pm »

Hi

I found a little issue with ANPM and the python update, which is more an issue with RPM packages.  When you do an update all, (on the release RPM, not exp), you will get stuck trying to update python and get an error.

I opened this ticket: https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=3523
Sandra helped me with a workarround. I hope this can be fixed on the RPM packages, just to not annoy the "update all" process for users.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

david.l.hart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 12:31:59 am »
I was able to dig a little deeper into connection to Linux machines on my home network.  Using the Fresh install with the complete new Arca Mapper I was able now to connect to a Windows 10 machine when checking Encryption and Linux by unchecking encryption and checking NTLM1.  Sometimes it appears that the refresh doesn't refresh the Arca Mapper browser maybe because of how the last authentication was done.

At the time of 5.1.0 release, the mapper has NTLM and Kerberos (for limitations see paragraph 5.2.3 of https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/readme/)

It is an improvement from earlier versions and I expect that future releases of 5.1.x will include improvements.

Besides the original findings, I also found that for some reason Firefox. Seamonkey and Thunderbird all get the same error: "Couldn't load xul.dll.  OS/2 error 2 faulty module LIBVPX6."  As I said earlier though I have not found any issues with any other OS2 or WinOS2 program so far.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 01:04:51 am »
Besides the original findings, I also found that for some reason Firefox. Seamonkey and Thunderbird all get the same error: "Couldn't load xul.dll.  OS/2 error 2 faulty module LIBVPX6."  As I said earlier though I have not found any issues with any other OS2 or WinOS2 program so far.

You might need to install the libvpx-legacy-4 rpm, or reinstall it.

Bernhard Pöttinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 06:24:53 pm »
I made a copy of my VirtualBox ArcaOS 5.0.7 in order to upgrade it to 5.1.0 to see how well that worked. When I checked the results of the upgrade it looked pretty good. 

I did notice something odd though with the upgrade which was that the new ArcaMapper only had a logon icon while the fresh install had 8 items.  The upgrade also was missing the exe files for those 8 icons.  The Fresh install was complete and the new ArcaMapper was able to connect to a Windows 10 computer on my network but I have not yet been able to connect to Linux. I will have to do some more reading on this but first glance it appears it only works on modern Windows peers.  Maybe it also works on networks with domain controllers but I need to research this some more.

Also missing from the upgrade was the Arca Package manager.

The upgrade left all my installed programs (OS/2 and WinOS2) working fine and that is a time saver for sure.

I think the problem with the arcamapper and an upgrade installation is that the arcamapper for ArcaOS 5.1 is installed as rpm. So "yum install arcamapper-ui-qt arcamapper-ui" installs the complete arcamapper of OS 5.1 with all the icons.
best regards
bernhard

david.l.hart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 03:57:00 am »
The Arca Mapper reinstall with Yum worked.  Thank your for that.