Author Topic: Looping ArcaOS Install  (Read 6909 times)

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
Looping ArcaOS Install
« on: October 10, 2023, 04:27:01 am »
Attempting to install V5.1 into Virtual Box, but I'm getting into a loop that I have no idea how to get out of. I start off the install and after the first phase completes and the machine reboots I'm back to the main installer screen again. It never seems to boot off the hard disk to continue with the install.

This version also does not show the 'Boot from Hard Disk' as the first menu. The first menu I get is installer screen with the menu options ('default values', 'boot with menu for own value' or display online docs'. I checked out the installation guide and readmes, but don't know how to proceed from here.

Doing this under VirtualBox 7.0, where I have my other eCS/ArcaOs versions running.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Looping ArcaOS Install
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 04:52:02 am »
Sometimes on real hardware, unplugging the stick when the reboot happens and then plugging it back in early in the boot works. If you could do similar, perhaps by unchecking the reboot automatically checkbox, then unmounting the ISO, reboot and quickly remount the ISO while rebooting.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 02:50:50 pm »
Hi Eric

When installing ArcaOS 5.1 (BIOS) on VirtualBox 7.0.10 (Windows 10 Host) I didn't get that issue. I always get the "Boot from HDD or CD" little menu when the ISO is mounted.

UEFI boot ins VirtualBox is a different thing, which I'm testing out.

Do you want to try this empty OVA I'm attaching and see if you can install ArcaOS 5.1.0? Double click it and it will create a VM in VirtualBox, mount the CD and run it. If it works you can compare the settings.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 01:35:48 am »
Hi Eric

When installing ArcaOS 5.1 (BIOS) on VirtualBox 7.0.10 (Windows 10 Host) I didn't get that issue. I always get the "Boot from HDD or CD" little menu when the ISO is mounted.

UEFI boot ins VirtualBox is a different thing, which I'm testing out.

Do you want to try this empty OVA I'm attaching and see if you can install ArcaOS 5.1.0? Double click it and it will create a VM in VirtualBox, mount the CD and run it. If it works you can compare the settings.

Regards

No difference, still boots direct to the set options menu. I'll open a ticket now. I waited to see if anyone in the greater world had a quick fix.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 12:00:05 am »
Ticket 3548 created for this issue and David A has confirmed that is a real issue. Work around is to install Air-Boot for now.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 05:11:13 pm »
Ticket 3548 created for this issue and David A has confirmed that is a real issue. Work around is to install Air-Boot for now.
Hi

It is good to know that David A replicated the issue and confirmed it.

I did a quick test here:
1) Created a VM in VirtualBox 7.0.10 (Windows Host). Selecting Standard ArcaOS choosing the default settings.
2) 1st Boot, attached the 5.1.0 Image (I like to use the little CDROM icon in the bottom of the started VM to mount the ISO), the menu displayed without "Boot from hard disk".  (Boot_001.png)
3) Went forward with the install and it tells me I have an issue with the disk that needed to be fixed. I select to fix the issue and choose "MBR". Reboot.
4) 2nd Boot , the menu displayed without "Boot from hard disk".  ( also Boot_001.png)
5) Continued forward and created the boot partition C: (Save changes)   ... and stopped there and rebooted without installing ArcaOS.
5) 3rd Boot, the menu now shows "Boot from hard disk".  (Boot_002.png).

I was not able to reproduce the issue here.  I'm still can not get what is the difference on your system/configuration Eric.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 06:43:41 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 05:16:27 am »
Martin,

The key is to select the 'Skip Disk Integrity Check' on the install menu. According to the info in the Ticket, this prevents the boot code being installed on the hard disk. Therefore each time the CD Boots it does not see anything bootable on the hard disk, so it never gives you the option.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 02:04:36 pm »
Reading about all the problems with 5.1 I am glad I decided to stop with 5.0.7, I have considered going back to OS/2 v 4.52 with all the fix packs.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 02:18:30 pm »
Hi Ivan
Reading about all the problems with 5.1 I am glad I decided to stop with 5.0.7, I have considered going back to OS/2 v 4.52 with all the fix packs.
Your choice is your choice and I respect that. My story is different, I had good results with 5.1 on the two UEFI and Virtualbox installs I did, and I'm keeping up with 5.1.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 02:20:05 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 06:14:06 pm »

Some of the same problems can happen with 5.0.7 such as the "Skip Disk Integrity Check" and if doing a BIOS install 5.1 isn't so different from 5.0.7. The other big thing with 5.1.x will be more languages being supported once the translators finish.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 01:47:58 am »

The BIOS boot support between 5.1.0. and 5.0.7. has not been modified. Just newer drivers, nothing magic.
ArcaOS 5.1.0. just adds another boot method and UEFI and GPT disc support.

As for going back to MCP 2 4.52. If you think it will be more stable ? For what reason ?
Miss out on some of the JFS fixes that have been proven to present that casue disc data to go corrupt (a fixed  CHKDSK issue) ?
Not even to mention the tons of ther fixes in the code in video drivers, USB, SMP and other files that have been present for decades for in OS/2.

Roderick