Author Topic: 5.1 and Samba/can't make it work!  (Read 5730 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
5.1 and Samba/can't make it work!
« on: October 12, 2023, 01:39:57 am »
I can't get Arca Mapper Network Connections to function. After many tries using 3 machines I was unable to det the Network Browser to work I've tried using different settings for Protocol in SMB config and got nowhere.. Don't know what else to try. Anybody got any  luck with this new setup for Samba --- Thanks for any ideas.

klipp
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 01:47:11 am by R.M. Klippstein »

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: 5.1 and Samba/can't make it work!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 09:38:51 am »
If you mean your Samba setup does not work anymore putting ArcaOS5.1 into your network then it maybe because NTLM1 is no longer allowed per default. There are security reasons for that. I'm pretty sure I found something about on AN wiki pages.

From memory I think I had to add minprotocol = NTLM1 and client minprotocol = NTLM1 in smb.conf to see my old machines from my ArcaOS5.1 installation. If you don't find exact information with this info I'll look into my smb.conf when I'm back home. But can take days... Guess there must be some information on the newly installed system too. But at least I didn't find it.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 01:11:14 pm »
Hi Klipp,

Here is the content of my file C:\MPTN\ETC\Samba\smb.conf in AOS 5.1:

# Samba Configuration file for Clients
# Required place for this file %ETC%\samba\smb.conf
# Change the value of WORKGROUP according to your needs
[global]
   workgroup = IBMPEERS
   loglevel = 0
   client min protocol = NT1

Make sure the name of your workgroup is correct for your network.

Regards,

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 07:24:30 pm »
I can't get Arca Mapper Network Connections to function. After many tries using 3 machines I was unable to det the Network Browser to work I've tried using different settings for Protocol in SMB config and got nowhere.. Don't know what else to try. Anybody got any  luck with this new setup for Samba --- Thanks for any ideas.

klipp
Do not know if it is the same issue, but some 5.1 users are reporting that Arcamapper does not install correctly, a reinstall has helped for some.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 09:04:59 pm »
Hello

I still need to take some time to learn Samba and the ArcaMapper. I will eventually want to learn to put a Samba server on ArcaOS.

I did a quick test between a Windows 10 machine (as the server sharing a folder) and a ArcaOS 5.1.0 VM (as client accessing the files).
Here are some screenshots I took: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Sharing_Files_with_ArcaMapper
It worked for me, it mounts a drive, but when I have a lot of files to show on the XCenter widget browsing the files, it locks the desktop. I want to try it further to see what is going on.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 10:15:48 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 11:33:36 pm »
Setting NT1 as the protocol gets the browser working , There used to be a warning about this guess  I should have remembered!  Making a working connection is something else.  Just about everything you do requires an additional login and when you do that it tells you you are already logged in- UGGGH!  It would be nice if there was a step by step procedure to make a connection, if I ever firure this out maybe I will make one.
Thanks all, for the help   
klipp

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 12:27:24 am »
You're only prompted for a login if you leave "New logon" selected for authentication on the connection dialog. 

I agree this could be a bit more obvious.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 01:11:44 am »
O.k. Now I understand, Thanks Alex, you put a lot of work in this new version thanks for that also.

klipp

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 02:00:01 pm »
O.k. Now I understand, Thanks Alex, you put a lot of work in this new version thanks for that also.

8)

In the next version I'm hoping to make it pre-select one of the already-logged-on credentials in that dropdown, if there are any.  I still need to work out the logic though.  (You can already do this manually from the command line, using e.g. "connect /user:WORKGROUP\alex".)

Another possibly non-obvious feature is that if you set specific credentials for browsing in the Network Browser (under the Network->Authenticate menu - it offers any credentials which are already logged in), it will pre-select that user by default when you connect to a share from within the Browser. (This doesn't apply if connecting outside the Browser, though.)

By the way, I always welcome suggestions for improving the help (both the individual program help or the ArcaMapper Guide). Some of the concepts are admittedly a bit convoluted.