Author Topic: XWP v1.0.16  (Read 35688 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: XWP v1.0.16
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2024, 09:51:03 pm »
Thanks Rich
On OS/2, the Win and Menu keys are just "character" keys not "shift" keys. What you're asking for is equivalent to asking "Why can't I use '<Tab>-9' or <F3>-Q' as a hotkey combo?". Shift/Ctrl/Alt set flags to indicate they were down when some other key was pressed. There just isn't a Win or Menu flag in OS/2.
Just to improve my English vocabulary I found that those are called "Modifier Key" according to Wikipedia (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Fn, etc).  The Windows key is also listed as a "Modifier key".

In OS/2 is set as a character key because of the keyboard driver? or because how XWP is coded?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2024, 05:02:03 pm »
About "Object Hotkey", I understand how it works. First, the Windows key does not work for it.

Before you can use the Win or Menu keys, you have to identify them to XWP. Go to 'System Setup->Keyboard->Function Keys', right-click, then select "New function key". Once they're registered, you can use them as Object Hotkeys but only as a stand-alone key, not a modifier like Shift/Ctrl/Alt.

And when I try to create a combination for it like "Shift+1" or "Ctrl+1" for a folder program object on the desktop, the key combination does not do anything. I was expecting it to open the object (open the folder or launch a program), but it does not work for me.

I tested this on several objects and it WFM. *Except*... you can't use "Shift 1" or Shift-anything because that generates a usable character. On an English keyboard, Shift-1 would turn the exclamation point (!) into a hotkey!

In OS/2 is set as a character key because of the keyboard driver? or because how XWP is coded?

I _think_ it's due to Presentation Manager. As I mentioned, when PM sends a character message to an app, it sets bit flags indicating whether Shift/Ctrl/Alt are down. They're stored in a 16-bit field along with 13 other flags, so there is no room to add another flag, even if IBM had wanted to. The 'Win95Key' utility is able to work around this because it doesn't pay attention to the flags and instead reads the keyboard's physical state to see what key(s) are currently pressed. That's OK for a specialized util but impractical for the average app.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2024, 10:59:01 pm »
Thanks Rich.

I can not make "Object Hotkey" work yet. I tried:
1) Turn on Turbo folders and reboot
2) On 'System Setup->Keyboard->Function Keys' assigned "New function key". I can not assign combination of key there, right? I registered LWin, RWin, WinList
3) On the "Downloads" folder assigned the "Object Hotkey" as "LWin" and pressed "Set".  (Image attached)
I see no action when I press the "LWin" key.

Is it supposed to open the "Downloads" folder when I press LWin?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2024, 08:46:58 am »
Hi Martin

After creating the Function Key close Keyboard notebook then open Downloads folder Properties, Icon tab, click in Object Hotkey box, press the Key (LWin) that you want to use then click Set.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2024, 05:01:43 pm »
Sorry, there must be something I'm doing wrong, but I can not make the "Object Hotkey" to work with XWP:

I had tried the VM and the T12s machine, and does not work on both.

My steps:
1) Check that "System Setup -> Keyboard - OEM Keys" is disabled. No other special keyboard app like Win95Key is running.
2) Turn on Turbo folders on XWorkplace and reboot
3) On 'System Setup->Keyboard->Function Keys' assigned "New function key".  I registered "LWin". Closed that window.
4) On the "Downloads" folder, I assigned the "Object Hotkey" as "LWin" and pressed "Set". 

Nothing happens when I press the "LWin" key.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2024, 07:59:55 pm »
Hi Martin

A quick look at XWP Help Object Hotkeys suggests you may be going about this wrong:-

Note: Do not confuse object hotkeys with folder hotkeys, as displayed in the "Workplace Shell" object. Object hotkeys are used to open    objects using a key definition and work everywhere, while folder hotkeys are shortcuts to certain folder commands and work in folders only.

The above suggests that you should be using Folder Hotkeys which is Enabled in XWorkplace Setup -> Features -> Folder features

Never used it myself so no tips on setting up, Sorry.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2024, 11:50:33 pm »
Hi Pete
Note: Do not confuse object hotkeys with folder hotkeys, as displayed in the "Workplace Shell" object. Object hotkeys are used to open    objects using a key definition and work everywhere, while folder hotkeys are shortcuts to certain folder commands and work in folders only.

The above suggests that you should be using Folder Hotkeys which is Enabled in XWorkplace Setup -> Features -> Folder features
I have "XWorkplace Setup -> Features -> Folder features" enable. But I'm not sure if it is related.

I'm guessing this is different from "folder hotkeys". I'm just going to "System Setup->Keyboard->Function Keys" and inside the folder properties that I'm trying to open into "Properties->Icon->Object Hotkey"

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2024, 01:05:42 am »
Hi Martin

I decided to try this for myself and did not find any problem.

The steps to setup the Left Windows key were

1] Uncheck "Enable the windows keys" in System Setup -> Keyboard - OEM Keys

2] Add Function Key name: LWin, click in Hardware scan code edit box and press the LWin key to display the value (0x7e (126) on my Logitech keyboard) in System Setup -> Keyboard -> Function Keys - click OK to save

3] Open Download folder Properties -> Icon, click in Object hotkey edit box, press the LWin key - should show LWin in edit box, click Set and close the Properties.

4] Pressed the LWin key and Download opened

Hope the above helps

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2024, 08:45:55 pm »
Thanks Pete for giving it a try.
I'm doing your procedure without luck, I will keep trying and see if I find what is the thing that is not allowing me to use "Object Hotkey".

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2024, 05:00:58 am »
Hi Martin

Where does it fail for you?

Can you add a Function Key successfully?

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2024, 12:21:06 am »
Hello Pete.

I don't see any kind of error on the process. The button just don't work for the "Object Hotkey" action.

Today I tried a kind of "vanilla" VM that I have with 5.1.0, without any luck.

I follow the same procedure.
1] Uncheck "Enable the windows keys" in System Setup -> Keyboard - OEM Keys
2] Add Function Key name: LWin, click in Hardware scan code edit box and press the LWin key to display the value (0x7e (126) ) (Also in my keyboard) in System Setup -> Keyboard -> Function Keys. (There is no OK to save, If I close the window and reopen it, the value remains there, so I guess it is saved)
3] Open Download folder Properties -> Icon, click in Object hotkey edit box, press the LWin key - should show LWin in edit box, click Set and close the Properties.
4] Pressed the LWin key and no action occurred

I have the screen shot attached. The key is getting registered/recognized on the "System Setup -> Keyboard -> Function Keys".
Tonight I will try on a different machine.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2024, 12:23:45 am »
Hi Martin

Having added a Function Key and then set that Function Key to open Downloads the Keyboard properties should now show a Hotkeys tab with the Function Key listed - see screenshots Funckeys.jpg and Hotkeys.jpg. The Hotkeys tab does not in your screenshot indicating that Setting LWin as the Object hotkey for Downloads did not work

My best guess is that some other desktop extender is interfering...

I do not have "Turbo folders" enabled but doubt that interferes.

I do not have Dynamic Icons installed as, quite simply, it is broken. I wonder if that is causing the problem you are seeing?

Regards

Pete

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 12:33:38 am by Pete »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2024, 03:47:02 am »
Hi Pete

Thanks for the tip. In fact I don't have that "Hotkeys" tab in the Keyboard Setting, not on my VM nor my real HW machine. I have ArcaOS 5.1.0 with XWP 1.0.16 Full installed and I don't see that tab.

Disabling Styler did not made any difference.
I can give it a try on a experimental VM to uninstall Dynamic Icons, but I don't know how to uninstall it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2024, 05:46:39 am »
Hi Martin

The Hotkeys tab does not exist until a Function key has been created and Set as an Object hotkey - creating LWin and Setting it as the Object hotkey for Downloads should have created the Hotkeys tab.

Dynamic Icons is, I think, installed from PNGDESK.WPI so use Warpin to uninstall.

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2024, 11:56:19 am »
I do not have Dynamic Icons installed as, quite simply, it is broken.

How, exactly, is it broken (vs. merely deficient)? I've been using it for 6+ years and it WFM. There's a new version awaiting release that fixes most of the problems I found and uses a lot less memory. Hopefully it will work for you.

I wonder if that is causing the problem you are seeing?

How, exactly, would an add-on that replaces icons with bitmaps interfere with a keyboard feature? So, no, it isn't the cause (see below).