Author Topic: DSSaver and XWP  (Read 18255 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
DSSaver and XWP
« on: November 30, 2023, 06:31:04 am »
Hello.

It seems that the Doodle Screen Saver settings page does not respect the XWP font size.
I was thinking to open a ticket. Any suggestions about it?

Regards
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:47:04 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Re: XWP v1.0.16
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 07:53:55 am »
Try this msg file, had to zip it to post.
Replace the current X:\SYS\apps\DSSaver\Lang\ss_en.msg with the one in the zip and test. Note that this is only for the properties and I simply commented out the hard coded 9.Warpsans, Doodle originally hard coded Helvetica and I changed it to Warpsans. All the other languages and module languages would need the same change.
Edit: Might need to restart the Desktop to use the updated msg file, not sure so try it by closing and opening the properties first.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:55:50 am by Dave Yeo »

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 09:23:34 pm »
Try this msg file, had to zip it to post.
Replace the current X:\SYS\apps\DSSaver\Lang\ss_en.msg with the one in the zip and test. Note that this is only for the properties and I simply commented out the hard coded 9.Warpsans,

Thank you, Dave!!  The DSS pages were a concern when getting XWP "Text Size" going - I'm glad to see the fix is so easy. Now, can we get together and rearrange a few things so those pages aren't so crazy-big?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 01:46:32 am »
Thank you, Dave!!  The DSS pages were a concern when getting XWP "Text Size" going - I'm glad to see the fix is so easy. Now, can we get together and rearrange a few things so those pages aren't so crazy-big?

Actually it is simpler then I first thought as it is only the WPS msg files (one for each language) that need changing. Not sure why Doodle hard coded the font.
Open to suggestions on making those pages smaller.

Alfredo Fernández Díaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 09:18:50 pm »
Actually it is simpler then I first thought as it is only the WPS msg files (one for each language) that need changing. Not sure why Doodle hard coded the font.
Confirmed. I just replaced "9.WarpSans" with "" in all ss_es.txt PG*_FONT strings, and the DSS notebook tabs resize along with everything else now. (Edit: Re: the hard-coded font it might be related to DBCS support IIRC.)

Is Comet Cursor on XWorkplace, AMouse, or is old IBM code that can not be updated?
None. It is old IBM code that is easy to update (; this is the comet cursor tab using a larger font:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:25:41 pm by Alfredo Fernández Díaz »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 11:32:20 pm »
Confirmed. I just replaced "9.WarpSans" with "" in all ss_es.txt PG*_FONT strings, and the DSS notebook tabs resize along with everything else now. (Edit: Re: the hard-coded font it might be related to DBCS support IIRC.)

Yea, at the bottom of the txt files is, (now commented out)
Code: [Select]
// Font to use (for DBCS support)
// MOD_0007="9.WarpSans";
Which without access to a DBCS system, I'm not sure about.
Here's all the language stuff for the properties notebook, note that I started upgrading the help again, will need translating, diff enclosed. I've already removed the 9.Warpsans from the language files.
To create a msg file, "msgc.exe ss_es.txt" for example.

Alfredo Fernández Díaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 08:53:03 pm »
Yea, at the bottom of the txt files is, (now commented out)
// Font to use (for DBCS support)
// MOD_0007="9.WarpSans";
Which without access to a DBCS system, I'm not sure about.
Current ArcaOS 5.1 beta has a Traditional Chinese version, which is the only DBCS translation currently available for DSS. I could check myself, but I can't read Chinese and I'm not familiar with the code so I would not even know what to look at, or whether the font stuff is working.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 02:26:12 am »
FTR, hard coding "9.WarpSans" as a font for DBCS systems makes no sense whatsoever and I can't imagine any useful thing that doing so could ever have accomplished.

FWIW, if there's something I can usefully test on a DBCS system (TW or otherwise), let me know.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 04:54:04 am »
FTR, hard coding "9.WarpSans" as a font for DBCS systems makes no sense whatsoever and I can't imagine any useful thing that doing so could ever have accomplished.

FWIW, if there's something I can usefully test on a DBCS system (TW or otherwise), let me know.

Well, what happens if a SBCS locale such as en_CA is dropped on an object such as the screensavers properties page, on a DBCS system?
I know doing it the other way results in still showing English on pages 1 and 2 and some of the modules on page 3 with the rest showing various characters. Perhaps bad translation? Perhaps you could check on a DBCS system how zh_TW looks.
Notice the Cairo Clock is missing the glyphs to display the month as well with zh_TW on a Canadian system, perhaps should be using a different font there, or somehow it could be like the POSIX locale, currently displays 23/12/08 instead of, for en_CA, Fri Dec 08, 2023.
Edit: BTW, zh_TW has 10.System Proportional Combined hard coded
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 05:15:58 am by Dave Yeo »

Alfredo Fernández Díaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 10:54:31 pm »
Dave, in the process of splitting your quotes to reply, a couple of things slipped away:

Open to suggestions on making those pages smaller.

To me, the two quickest and most obvious suggestions would be:

-For General parameters, change

[ ] Screen saving enabled
Start saver after [nn] minute(s) of inactivity

to

[ ] Launch automatically after [nn] minute(s) of inactivity

or something similar, and

-In the Modules page, the description MLE is always half-empty or emptier, so shrink it vertically to that size and put it on top of the preview window, and put them both on the right column, with a stretched modules list on the left.

Just my two cents.

[...] I started upgrading the help again, will need translating, diff enclosed.

Please give me a heads up when it's done, to update the translation.

Edit: suppressed special chars that activated unwanted HTML above : /
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:06:31 am by Alfredo Fernández Díaz »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 04:55:14 am »
Martin, could you split the screensaver stuff into a separate topic? Continuing discussion on the topic would be off topic here.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: DSSaver and XWP
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 05:47:30 am »
Hi Dave.  I tried to split it the best I can.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 06:12:58 am »
Thanks Martin, seems good.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 05:35:23 pm »
can we get together and rearrange a few things so those pages aren't so crazy-big?

Here's what I would propose (and I'm willing to do the work to implement it if you wish):

Page 1 would be the current "General Settings" above and the "DPMS Settings" below (minus the excessive space between the checkboxes).

Page 2 would be "Password Protection". Note that this grouping by itself is nearly as tall as the tallest current n/b page (the View pages).

Page 3 would be the same contents just rearranged. Currently it's organized vertically but it would work better if it were layed-out horizontally: listbox and preview window side-by-side at the top, with the module info below. There are several possibilities for the locations of the checkbox and buttons, but it's hard to say what would look best until the major pieces are in place.

I think we'd probably agree that the whole "Module Information" group is far too large. The static text (now moved to the left of the MLE) could be condensed by removing the word "module". The "Supports password protection" line might be removed since every module supports it. Then too, you don't need the word "Description" - it's fairly obvious. And, of course, the MLE should be reduced to 3 or 4 lines max.

On the whole, I think this page's height could be made the same as the proposed Password page without looking at all cramped.The one thing I'd caution you against is feeling constrained by the way things are now. Just because the original author did something a particular way doesn't mean he did it _well_ - if he had, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 08:09:25 pm »
Sounds like a good plan, I'd add getting rid of the DPMS Standby and Suspend States, they don't make sense in an LCD world as LCD's only support Off. If someone has a CRT monitor and cares, they can downgrade.
The big problem is page one, which likely organically grew as things like password support was added, and we have this,
SOM_Scope BOOL SOMLINK wpssdesktopM_wpclsQuerySettingsPageSize(M_WPSSDesktop *somSelf, PSIZEL pSizl)
{
  BOOL rc;

// Query default settings page size from parent
  rc = parent_wpclsQuerySettingsPageSize(somSelf, pSizl);
  if (rc)
  {
    // Modify the minimum height, if needed!
    // This 180 Dialog Units height seems to be okay in most cases.
    // (empirically...)
    if (pSizl->cy < 210)
      pSizl->cy = 210;
  }

return rc;
}

I changed the 180 to 210 to get the whole of page one to show, it seems to be the only hard coded size. Lots of code that seems to rearrange things as the size of the Properties changes.
For the description box, wonder how it looks in Chinese?
I definitely don't have the skill or understanding to implement the changes, especially the SOM stuff. WPSSdesktop.c is over 5000 lines.
Played with the Universal Resource Editor last night trying to rearrange page 3, none of my changes seemed to take and the preview window must be coded.
Still need to push my latest changes, seems that my Github token doesn't work for OS2World repositories. I'll figure something out tonight, the wife wants to go to town today.