Author Topic: Hobbes Retirement  (Read 26885 times)

Andy Willis

• View Profile
Hobbes Retirement
« on: January 09, 2024, 03:11:09 am »
Just read this on hobbes:

ATTENTION

After many years of service, hobbes.nmsu.edu will be decommissioned and will no longer be available. You the user are responsible for downloading any of the files found in this archive if you want them. These files will no longer be available for access or download as of the decommission date.

As of April 15th, 2024 this site will no longer exist.

No one will be able to access this site or any information/files stored on this site as of April 15th, 2024.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 03:21:11 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: hobbes retirement
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 04:24:55 am »
Hello Andy. Thanks for the heads up.

Ok, this is very bad news . Maybe one idea will be to work on http://www.os2site.com/sw/ and try to find an upload mechanism for it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mentore

• View Profile
Re: Hobbes Retirement
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 08:05:49 am »

ATTENTION

After many years of service, hobbes.nmsu.edu will be decommissioned and will no longer be available. You the user are responsible for downloading any of the files found in this archive if you want them. These files will no longer be available for access or download as of the decommission date.

No one will be able to access this site or any information/files stored on this site as of April 15th, 2024.

This is one of the worst news I expected to hear to date.
Of course we should have more than one way to preserve the amount of OS/2 software stored on it, but still... Visiting Hobbes has become something like a daily stroll.
A lot of work will be needed to change the links present, e.g. in eCSoft/2.

Mentore

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 12:31:48 pm »
Maybe one idea will be to work on http://www.os2site.com/sw/ and try to find an upload mechanism for it.

Thinking about it.

Old os2site.com website, old mirrors section, new os2site.com website based on what you have done at hobbes that you have access to.
I do have a stable location now, with a fixed IP and rev delegation.

I did continue updating my copy of os2site.com for a while but wasn't able to update os2site.com which is hosted by Roderick since I moved as my os2site.com is OS/2 server based and Rodericks is Nix based.

It is easy enough to enable file viewing under Apache with SFTP access to update the files, bit harder to add descriptions though Apache does allow file generic descriptions.

Anyways, I will update my offline hobbes mirror shortly, and going into the hobbes close down date. Just got to blow the dust off my server and plug it in again...
Might look at trying to put os2site.com on linux here as Roderick has done, then maybe Roderick could mirror the new os2site.com instead.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:08:14 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 01:13:00 pm »
Maybe one idea will be to work on http://www.os2site.com/sw/ and try to find an upload mechanism for it.

Thinking about it.

Old os2site.com website, old mirrors section, new os2site.com website based on what you have done at hobbes that you have access to.
I do have a stable location now, with a fixed IP and rev delegation.

I did continue updating my copy of os2site.com for a while but wasn't able to update os2site.com which is hosted by Roderick since I moved as my os2site.com is OS/2 server based and Rodericks is Nix based.

It is easy enough to enable file viewing under Apache with SFTP access to update the files, big harder to add descriptions though Apache does allow file generic descriptions.

Anyways, I will update my offline hobbes mirror shortly, and going into the hobbes close down date. Just got to blow the dust off my server and plug it in again...
Might look at trying to put os2site.com on linux here as Roderick has done, then maybe Roderick could mirror the new os2site.com instead.

I send an email this morning before I went to work to hobbes asking if they can refer to the os2site.com or put up a notification message on hobbes.nmsu.edu to point to www.os2site.com.

I already send an email this morning to you as well Ian :-)
I send it to your gmail address.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 01:43:16 pm »

ATTENTION

This is one of the worst news I expected to hear to date.
Of course we should have more than one way to preserve the amount of OS/2 software stored on it, but still... Visiting Hobbes has become something like a daily stroll.

Mentore

For Ian I run the copy of os2site.com. Contact me via roderickklein at xs4all.nl if you have any questions.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 04:13:20 pm »
Hello Ian, Roderick

I was wondering if OS2Site can be organized in two main parts:
1) The "Active" repository as a copy of hobbes with the goal to only having the latest version of OS/2 software.
2) The "Archive" repository where we can have several older versions even of the same software and mirrors/backups of other sites.

This is just a suggestion. I was planning to have OS2site as the "Archive" repository and on the future maybe help to reorganize it, but things are changing now.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 02:01:10 am »
Hello

It is also an issue for the OS2World wiki, but in this case, I tried to create the hobbes links with a wiki "template".
So, I only need to change "https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?search=" for a similar to a different site in one place and all the links will get updated. But I need a similar search script on the different site where I can just put the file name.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 02:18:50 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 02:33:25 pm »
Hi Roderick,

I already send an email this morning to you as well Ian :-)
I send it to your gmail address.
Roderick

ok, checked my gmail account, mostly full of rubbish as I rarely look at it, you are better off emailing me at ian@ the os2site.com website :)
Have a lot to think about at present but limited time to do so.
Thinking it might be easier if I got paid hosting but that limits options as to software that I can use. I think I will have to maybe go the linux route locally for os2site.com and mirror that to an external host, either way Roderick, your version of os2site.com would then be able to be updated regularly though the preference is for your version to pull the updates from my version.

Martin, yes, I would keep the last version of hobbes that I have mirrored before I moved, the last version of hobbes as it would be the day before it is closed down, and a version that you would be free to update, modify etc.

I would simply add a date to the older versions of hobbes at https://www.os2site.com/mirrors/ so there would be a hobbes_2021 and hobbes_2024. Gives you an option to have the new location called Martin if you like :) Webservers have this wonderful thing called 'rewrite rules'.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 03:48:31 pm »
As a user, how do I upload files to OS2SITE ? As far as I understand I currently cannot.
If I knew, I could already start to upload my files to OS2SITE instead of still uploading them to Hobbes.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 05:11:45 pm »
There is no upload as of yet. I never got around to get this working as Ian would synch with hobbes.nmsu.edu.
That is currently up in the air how to fix this.

Roderick Klein

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 02:14:21 am »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 02:47:16 am »
Hello

Just to try to focus. The 1st priority is to have a site where the community can still upload OS/2 files.
If it will be OS2Site, the #1 thing is to create the "upload" page (or ftp upload)

PD: Can someone confirm if upload to hobbes had been blocked? I can not upload anymore. (550 Permission denied.)

Regards
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 03:13:18 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 06:16:31 am »
Thread on alt.computer.folklare.computers too. Includes mention of someone who is going to try to get copies of the backend data, scripts etc.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 10:57:17 am »
Hello

Just to try to focus. The 1st priority is to have a site where the community can still upload OS/2 files.
If it will be OS2Site, the #1 thing is to create the "upload" page (or ftp upload)

PD: Can someone confirm if upload to hobbes had been blocked? I can not upload anymore. (550 Permission denied.)

Regards

This is already being worked on...

Roderick