Author Topic: Hobbes Retirement  (Read 26881 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbes Retirement
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2024, 08:14:27 am »
I don't understand why this has to be tied to any existing mirroring site. Why not 'hobbes.os2voice.org' ?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2024, 12:41:45 am »
Ah, so it's now hosted in another place, with no limits. Then of course, no problems with limited traffic. That's good.

Its a server in a datacenter in Netherlands hooked onto a fast fibre optic line.

Roderick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2024, 10:08:12 pm »
Oke Since Iam wants to keep his domain name for private use a new domain was setup.
hobbes,os2voice.

I might get lucky and NMSU might want to reidrect to this domain name.

My goal is run the master repo as a part of the VOICE foundation. That way is something happens to me the main repo should be safe.

ftp hobbes.os2voice.org is already up for upload.

Stay tuned for more information.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2024, 10:57:48 pm »

Thanks Roderick. I just uploaded some old software that Hobbes was missing to give it a try. For me moment my only observation is that you can not see what file were uploaded. "/incoming" always look empty but the files seems to be uploaded without problems.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:01:43 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2024, 11:49:24 pm »

Thanks Roderick. I just uploaded some old software that Hobbes was missing to give it a try. For me moment my only observation is that you can not see what file were uploaded. "/incoming" always look empty but the files seems to be uploaded without problems.

Regards

Please read the FTP banner that is shown when you login in the server with an ftp.exe on the OS/2 command line.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2024, 05:12:50 pm »
Hello Roderick.

First of all, I apologize. I'm experimenting some kind of "abstinence syndrome" because every night, after work, my routine was to search some OS/2 sources (Forums, webpages and old CD images) for programs and files, and if something was missing on hobbes I was uploading it. Now I don't have that activity. (upload is blocked)

The goal (inside my mind) was to reorganize hobbes, add release dates, versions numbers, description of the software and change the file name to something of significance. We set some rules on a different thread. I was expecting to have Hobbes as the "Active"  repository (16GB) with only the latest versions of software, where people can keep uploading software, as usual.

Later I was planning to work on OS2Site/sw as the "Archive" were I was going to organize all OS/2 software with older versions of software.

I know Roderick you are still working on the "upload stuff" and how the file repository is going to work. But I just want to let you know I still want to help reorganizing "os2site/sw".

Ian, Roderick, now that we have this issue with Hobbes, I don' know exactly your plans, but my suggest idea will be:

1) Create the "Active" repository, just like hobbes, with the same structure and all it's files. Work out the "upload" feature and we can do some posts letting know the community to upload the files there.

2) Create the "Archive" repository, that will have the same directory structure as Hobbes
-- Under this archive put also all the "os2site/sw" current content.
-- I will work to reorganize this archive little by little when I get proper access. (of course, let's backup everything first)

FYI: I have in my HDD all the .txt files for the hobbes uploads I made if you think are useful in some way.

Regards

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 10:59:13 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2024, 04:26:30 pm »
Hello again.

I started to prepare EDM/2 for the hobbes retirement.

What I'm doing for the moment is changing the direct hobbes link for a EDM/2 wiki template (http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Template:FileLink) and (http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Template:FileSite).
With that, once Hobbes get discontinued, I just change the template in one place (or two) and the files get pointed to the new Hobbes replacement site. (if everything works as planned).

I had been doing this for a while (since 2020) on the OS2World wiki, but I still need to change some link that I may missed.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2024, 05:27:41 pm »
Martin have you considered that your reorganising Hobbes files might be the cause of it being shut down because they had to have someone monitoring all the time rather than it just running with computer monitoring?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2024, 05:36:05 pm »
Martin have you considered that your reorganising Hobbes files might be the cause of it being shut down because they had to have someone monitoring all the time rather than it just running with computer monitoring?

Seems the Professor who's class ran Hobbes is retiring.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2024, 06:39:54 pm »
Thanks Ivan for making me feel so bad in public.  I hope your question is well intended since I thought about it myself.

I actually contacted the person in charge of hobbes and he told me he retired a year ago, so I think he worked the hardest part of the reorganization with me. He thanked me for all the help cleaning up and helping organize and standardize it. I guess that if he would noticed some problems with the reorganization he would stopped me the first day, instead of thanking me today. He does not know the reason behind the retirement of Hobbes. I don't have more information.

Anyways, I think that Hobbes is (was) of too much important for us, for just having it running on a University that does not know about it's existence, and laying low was our only change for us to keep it running. I can only say I'm glad that I was able to reorganize it before they pull the plug.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2024, 07:17:36 pm »
Martin, I thank you for all your efforts for Arca OS and OS/2. The reorganizing of Hobbes was a huge task and yo did well with it.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2024, 11:05:44 pm »
Hi Martin,

I didn't mean it as a  slur on you but as a reflection of what we see over here in Europe about the stupidity going on in US universities and their likely reaction to an outsider showing them up with you careful reorganising of one of their facilities.  In fact it was voiced by a friend of mine when I mentioned that the site was shutting down.

I would offer to host the site but my l;ink speed is rather slow and congestion is a killer as I found out when I  downloaded a new copy of Linux Mint.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2024, 02:03:36 pm »
Hi Ivan,
I didn't mean it as a  slur on you but as a reflection of what we see over here in Europe about the stupidity going on in US universities and their likely reaction to an outsider showing them up with you careful reorganising of one of their facilities.  In fact it was voiced by a friend of mine when I mentioned that the site was shutting down.

No problem then. I don't think is "stupidity of US universities", I'm guessing that the person that replaced the hobbes archiver didn't understand, don't want to teach classes with Hobbes, or he didn't want to do the little extra "chores" that hobbes demand for his role. So he went to management and ask to remove this server from his responsibilities. (This is just a guess).

I would offer to host the site but my l;ink speed is rather slow and congestion is a killer as I found out when I  downloaded a new copy of Linux Mint.

Let's see if the different ideas to replace hobbes workout on these days and how they work once get formally released.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 03:23:46 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2024, 02:21:20 pm »

Regards

I have decided to cancel work on that mirror as Nathan went ahead. As I have stated my concern before. We need one master hobbes archive not two upload FTP.
As we do not know how to synch files.

My personal opinion is that just like with NMSU it would have better for the long run if it would have been ran by OS/2 VOICE or OS/2 world foundation so it does not depend on single person.
I do not think a master archive should be on PC in his son bedroom, sorry. And if something happens to his home (what we do not hope) well we loose it again.
Doing this via an organization provides slightly more redundancy in different ways.

So I see it as a waste of time to work on a mirror as well.

Roderick

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2024, 02:36:55 pm »
Shame, my vote was with hobbes.os2voice.org for the reasons you give.

I also agree having two upload sites is asking for problems, better to have one mirror the others incoming but you also run the risk of missing files when incoming is cleared. There are ways around this.
Cheers
Ian B Manners