Author Topic: To take the bun for the last time: ArcaOS and Lenovo Thinkpad Z13 Gen 2  (Read 23776 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Hi,

yeah, i took the bun for the last time: installed ArcaOS 5.1 next to Windows 11 on a Lenovo Thinkpad Z13 Gen 2 = 2023 Hardware with AMD Ryzen Pro 7 7840  ;D

If you are interested in the result, please follow this thread at os2.org

https://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?t=3811

There are also some early pros and cons.

Please use Online Translator. All the best!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: To take the bun for the last time: ArcaOS and Lenovo Thinkpad Z13 Gen 2
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 01:28:18 am »
Thanks for sharing Sigurd.

I don't know why Windows 11 failed to boot when you disabled Secure Boot. In my case with the T14s, Windows 11 just adapted to the change (I can not remember if it asked me something).  When you enabled back "Secure Boot" the AN Boot Manager will be gone, but it was easy for me to disable "Secure Boot" again and boot ArcaOS from the USB flash and reinstall it.  The ArcaOS partition is still there.

Can you check if Windows BitLocker is enabled, maybe that is what is not allowing you to boot Windows when you turn off "Secure Boot"?

In my case the touchpad and trackpoint worked under ArcaOS, but I had to disable the trackpad on the BIOS, because without the "Palm rest calibration" software option using the trackpoint have me problems with the click.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 03:48:49 am »
ArcaOS does come with the keys needed for secure boot. They're on the EFI partition under \efi\os2.
Currently you do have to figure out how to install them.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 06:02:02 am »
ArcaOS does come with the keys needed for secure boot. They're on the EFI partition under \efi\os2.
Currently you do have to figure out how to install them.

There's a package to automate the installation of AN's public keys that was demonstrated at WarpStock. I used it a few months ago and it works great - I can't understand why it hasn't been released yet.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 11:06:08 pm »
Thanks for the hints!

@Martin: Yes, thanks, disabling Bitlocker was the first thing I did. It didn't help though (I mentioned that at the os2.org post)

@Dave and Rich: Thanks to you as well!

I tried to install rEFInd but had no luck so far. I think I have to check and play a lot around with the BIOS Settings of this device. Keith Merrington showed us during the User Meeting in Cologne 2022 the rEFInd Manager, he had it setup perfect!

May be I end up disabling ALL Securtiy Features in BIOS (there is Pluton as well) and install Windows 10 next with ArcaOS and Linux Mint. But I intent not to do so, as I think those security features in the BIOS do make sense and I try to keep as much as possible of these.

I will not give up, there will be a solution in some way. To be able to be more experimentiell I just created an USB Windows 11 Recovery stick for this Device.

I will report once I make progress. Thanks again to all of you!!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 11:07:47 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 10:24:17 am »
It is up and running!  ;) ;D

In BIOS I had to:

- Disable SecureBoot
- Enable Pluton and TSM 2.0

Then the rEFInd Manager started and I was able to load Windows 11 Pro and start it with Fingerprint and as well start ArcaOS.

ArcaOS sees 1.4 GB of RAM while there ar 57GB for the RAM Disk available.

I will test some more things later, like getting sound and other things to work.

ArcaOS runs really fluent for now, please note the temperature and Battery/Power widget in the xcenter.

Have a  nice Sunday!!

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 03:18:12 pm »
So, after some time of investigating, I was able to customize the rEFInd Manager the way I like it. I collected some icons for this.

rEFInd outclasses the ArcaOS EFI Bootmenue by far, especially when it comes to an aspect ratio of 2.880X1.800 Pixel. ArcaOS EFI Manager is very very very small then.

Despite the Background of rEFInd and an additional Linux Installation on the Device I am almost through.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:53:18 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 03:27:10 pm »

ArcaOS sees 1.4 GB of RAM while there ar 57GB for the RAM Disk available.

This is the lowest amount of RAM I have seen yet. Every generation has less than the one before it. It would be interesting how Dooble will function on this system.

I tested a Lenovo X13 laptop with a Ryzen 5 Pro 6650U CPU and got 1840.50 MiB
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

JTA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 03:30:55 pm »
Sigurd, as I follow this thread, it's great news that you got both Win11 and AOS up and running on this Thinkpad. If I'm following correctly, it means you can dual-boot (multiboot) into one OS or the other.

One remaining task seems to be preserving all this effort, as in, imaging both OS's plus the EFI stuff, to the point where you can resurrect the entire machine from scratch, and get it right back to where this known-good state.

I also assume that AOS can see 1.4GB of "free" RAM, as this seems to be a 64GB ram system. This means you'll have one OS/2 running at any time, and you'll still be somewhat RAM-bound at times, depending on what you're doing. Possibly, you'll still be fiddling with hardware issues here and there, under OS/2. If you need something under Windows, you'll be rebooting into that OS, and losing access to OS/2 temporarily.

In the meantime, there are plenty of powerful hardware resources left over on your machine needing exploitation, and perhaps not just as a RAM drive?

Might I suggest AToF'ing (ArcaOS - Thrusters on Full) this system? All the docs are in the "virtualization" forum of OS2World.com. These docs have received lots of "views", but not much in the way of feedback. AToF docs are at:

os2world.com/forum/index.php/board,24.0.html

From where you are right now, I'd suggest this quick test, which shouldn't risk any changes to your existing build in which you've invested so much time:

1. boot to Win11, install Virtualbox, and then install AOS in a VM, and see how it works for you, including how much free RAM is available inside that VM. Note that both OS's are running at once, which is powerful magic, as you can switch between them with a mouse click.

2. now install another AOS in a VM (for test purposes, just reuse your AOS license), and perhaps even another. Each has 4GB of RAM to play with, and you are no longer bound to one AOS. In the meantime, each is accessing the resources available to the Win11 OS above it, meaning wireless network access, etc., and everything is running at once, with no multi-booting.

This test doesn't really change anything on your current Thinkpad build, as you can throw the test parts back out again (remove Virtualbox and the VM's). But, it does let you, or anyone else with a similar laptop setup, see the power of running everything at once, with virtualization and multiple VM's. You'll still have more resources for other VM's, for Linux, for development, or whatever.

I don't have Thinkpads myself, and am not tied in to the "experience of ArcaOS on any given model of Thinkpad", but I've run a similar test on my Dell laptops, and others, and it works well. It would be helpful if you ran the same (reasonably quick) test, and reported your experiences back to the forums. No other part of AToF needs to be done, just this part of Virtualbox and VM's.

You'll be in a unique position where you can test things under AToF (ArcaOS in a VM), and/or test things under a boot straight into ArcaOS via rEFInd, and compare/contrast both experiences.

Plenty of folks might have all kinds of issues with running OS's in VM's (particularly OS/2), and until that gets exposed by folks running more tests, we don't really know if AToF is all that helpful, especially to the ArcaOS/Thinkpad set of folks.

Obviously, you can disregard my whole post and continue running one OS at a time, out of your current two OS's under the EFI/rEFInd setup. Again, it's really great that you got to this point! But, if you can run the test, it would help plenty of others who might be considering AToF but not wanting to take the risk until others have tried it and reported back ...

I might be able to add to AToF the ability, as noted by others, of running ArcaOS in a VM or easily booting directly into ArcaOS, if any issues need comparison to sort out.

A long post, but your new machine should rip right through it in seconds! Good luck with your new build!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 03:37:28 pm »
Hello Sigurd.

Is it possible for you to post the testlog report of your machine so I can add the details in the OS2World wiki? (please remove the serial number for privacy)

Please let me know if Audio works.  What else works and don't work?

I'm checking the specs and it says "2x USB4 40Gbps (support data transfer, Power Delivery 3.0 and DisplayPort™ 1.4a)". I don't see a video output port on the pictures, I' not sure if those USB-C to HDMI adapters will work.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 06:53:19 pm »
@JTA: thank you very much for your long and detailed Information! In fact I started with Virtualisations around 2003 or 2004, with Connectix Virtual PC for OS/2 Version 5 (I do still have the box) and Microsoft Virtual PC 2003. My approach is - for a long long time now - to get OS/2 - ArcaOS nativ to run on "modern" hardware, despite all shortcommings, that might be included. I am more the type of: "Let us see wether it works or not". I virtualized with VirtualPC, Virtualbox, VMWare etc. etc. - but none of them match (for me  ;)  ) with the feeling of a native Installation. I will see where this Lenvovo thinkpad Z13 Gen 2 will lead me to, as far as today it is really promising.

@Martin: Yes, I will take more trial and error, so it may take some days till I can deliver some more information. There are lot of things do to: Testing LAN connection via USB/Ehternet Moschip Adapter, Sound etc. etc. I will let you know, as soon as possible.
My current work is to install Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 on this Latop next to all the others  :)

AND: THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your ongoing work and support here!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 06:59:47 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 11:03:14 pm »
Martin, here are some files:

One Z13GEN2 from unimix with Adapter switch in config.sys /A:1; /A:0 (AMD Rembrand) does not response at all. So far no sound, even if the card is detected. Have to dig wether or not everything is switched on. And I have to test the lastet UNIAUD Build. for today it is to late  ;)

The other Z13WARP5 is what "Testlog generic" brings up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:53:32 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 11:43:18 pm »
This machine has everything needed to enroll AN's key and run in Secure Boot mode. In the screenshot above (https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3537.0;attach=10934) which shows UEFI options, you'd select key management,

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 03:14:01 am »
Thanks Sigurd.

Your machine is so new that the pci list need to be updated, a lot of the devices shows like "unknown".

I created this wiki page with your information: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Lenovo_Thinkpad_Z13_Gen_2_-_21JV

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 01:38:04 pm »
Hi Martin,

here is a new testlog generic, made with testlog 3.53 and the latest available pci.ids.

Hope that helps!