Author Topic: [SOLVED] DFSEE open source (17) not running on Warp4.52 Virtualbox guest  (Read 11377 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Hi all, I'm finding this issue: my previous DFSee installation was the evaluation one, now asking for a valid key to run. I've found on the eCSoft/2 pages this version defined free-open source and installed it replacing the expired one, providing its uninstallation before.
In the new situation, running the object DFSOS2 returns an error window in the middle of a command-prompt window (see image). Also trying to start the RUN DFSee object returns same error alert, not specifying anything else than "IBMS506$ device does not recognize the command", which I cannot translate in something useful.
Is anyone aware of what can be done to run this DFSee ?
Thank you much
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:22:11 pm by mauro »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: DFSEE open source (17) not running on Warp4.52 Virtualbox guest
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 05:14:41 pm »
What happens if you ignore the error and continue?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 05:45:38 pm »
no way to get out from there until I select End program/commad/operation

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 08:09:13 pm »
Did you totally remove the old version before you installed v17?  What you are describing sounds as if there are parts of the old version still around especially if you installed it in the previous dir.

Delete the DFSee directory, run clean ini and or xfix, then install the new version.  That is what I do when installing newer versions of existing programs it prevents old information being carried over.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 08:18:22 pm »
Add "AUTOFAIL=YES" to your 'config.sys'. It prevents this sort of popup and always returns an error to the app.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 08:39:14 pm »
Did you totally remove the old version before you installed v17?  What you are describing sounds as if there are parts of the old version still around especially if you installed it in the previous dir.

I've uninstalled the old version through Warpin, which was the installation app used, believing it was safe enuogh

Delete the DFSee directory, run clean ini and or xfix, then install the new version.  That is what I do when installing newer versions of existing programs it prevents old information being carried over.

run clean ini and xfix are 3rd party utilities or available in the system?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 09:48:48 pm »
Hi mauro

Might be worth simply deleting the contents of the dfsee directory and then unzipping(?) the latest version into that directory.

What the error seems to be saying is that the loaded disk driver IBM1S506.ADD does not understand whatever command from dfsee. When starting dfsee it seems that disk(s) get read for partition info so that is probably the failing bit. Strange...
What version (how old) is the IBM1S506.ADD in use? - might be worth trying danis506 as I recall that overcame some of the early IBM1S506 deficiencies.

Regards

Pete

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 02:01:10 pm »
Hi mauro

Might be worth simply deleting the contents of the dfsee directory and then unzipping(?) the latest version into that directory.

Thank you Pete , it hasn't worked

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 04:03:02 pm »
Hi mauro,

One other thing you might try is to delete the DFSee partition then run xfix and or checkini with the parameters /C /H /T  Doing that will remove a lot of useless info from the ini files.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 06:04:37 pm »
Hi all, I'm finding this issue: my previous DFSee installation was the evaluation one, now asking for a valid key to run. I've found on the eCSoft/2 pages this version defined free-open source and installed it replacing the expired one, providing its uninstallation before.
In the new situation, running the object DFSOS2 returns an error window in the middle of a command-prompt window (see image). Also trying to start the RUN DFSee object returns same error alert, not specifying anything else than "IBMS506$ device does not recognize the command", which I cannot translate in something useful.
Is anyone aware of what can be done to run this DFSee ?
Thank you much

I downloaded my copy from the ARCA NOAE.  It was listed as sponser and support software.  I made a donation, downloaded and installed. Everything works great. I noticed it since has been removed.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 06:29:02 pm »
It is still available from the DFSee site.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 08:49:55 pm »
Hi mauro

What the error seems to be saying is that the loaded disk driver IBM1S506.ADD does not understand whatever command from dfsee. When starting dfsee it seems that disk(s) get read for partition info so that is probably the failing bit. Strange...
What version (how old) is the IBM1S506.ADD in use? - might be worth trying danis506 as I recall that overcame some of the early IBM1S506 deficiencies.

Regards

Pete

ok Pete, I've downloaded the zip file who generate -as usual- a folder, but no explainations (no specific readme) on how proceed to replace the old IBM1S506.ADD

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 09:00:31 pm »
It's a drop in replacement. Find your BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD, rem it and add a line right after BASEDEV=DANIS506.add along with any parameters that IBM1S506.ADD had.
I notice my config.sys has BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 09:02:32 pm »
Hi mauro,

One other thing you might try is to delete the DFSee partition then run xfix and or checkini with the parameters /C /H /T  Doing that will remove a lot of useless info from the ini files.

Hi Ivan, did everyting you wrote in this order:

-uninstalled previous DFsee by Warpin deinstaller
-deleted its previous working directory (C:/TOOLS)
-rebooted
-applied XFIX, removed all invalid entries and saved action on OS2.INI
-rebooted
-applied CHECKINI, went all at the end of items scanning and then confirmed end of session (is that what the way to apply the cleaning? No confirmation read about result)
-rebooted
-installed DFSee 17 free downloaded from ecsoft/2
-run DFSee 17
-SAME ERROR MESSAGE
-uninstalled DFSee 17 by Warpin deinstaller
-deleted its previous working directory (C:/TOOLS)
-rebooted
-downloaded DFSee 17 beta from https://www.dfsee.com/download/
-installed it
-run DFSee 17 beta
-SAME ERROR MESSAGE

I think have followed slavishly all necessary steps to accomplish this attempts.

Thank you

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 09:05:27 pm »
It's a drop in replacement. Find your BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD, rem it and add a line right after BASEDEV=DANIS506.add along with any parameters that IBM1S506.ADD had.
I notice my config.sys has BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS

ok, then it's only DANIS.506.ADD file to be placed in same directory where IBM1S506.ADD is ?
Do I ignore the other files in the decompressed directory?
Tks