Author Topic: Does AOS-5.1 large-file copying fight with FAT32?  (Read 5838 times)

Andrew Stephenson

• View Profile
Does AOS-5.1 large-file copying fight with FAT32?
« on: January 14, 2024, 09:18:38 am »
This is a spin-off of another topic.  New readers can safely start here...

Looks like those folks who urged me to switch my backup HDD to JFS from FAT32 were right.  In summary: I have been updating important files, some moderately large (see below), which I back up to two USB-3A drives, one SSM (around 32GB, JFS), the other HDD (2TB, FAT32).  Various folk have helped with suggestions on switching the HDD to JFS.  Experience and experiments have indicated that is pretty much my only course -- if my system dies, I'll have to wait until it's fixed/replaced and hope both JFS backups stay safe meanwhile.

The evidence: seven (7) files have been involved, daily, growing as I add data to them.  Sizes are roughly: 95KB, 483KB, 159KB, 23KB, 27KB and 32KB.  When I drag-and-drop-copy them from my system (JFS) to the JFS SSM drive, it goes smoothly and quite fast (if we keep USB's sluggishness in mind).  If I D&DC to the FAT32 HDD drive, the five (5) smaller files are shown on the tally as copying over but the two biggest lead to a freeze of the tally and system, and a need for CAD+R.  But sometimes the biggest files do seem to get copied over.

Does any of this make sense?  ISTR someone saying to partition the 2TB drive to prevent XCOPY (and, I assume, similar mechanisms invoked with D&DC) from exhausting buffer space, IIRC.

(Sidebar, noted during these experiments:)  Ejecting an USB MSD did not automatically close some folders connected to that MSD.  But since then I have used the new CHEKINI, which found some rubbish and threw it out, so the rubbish may have been the cause.  Later, the USB "Eject" function refused to eject until I had closed dependent folders that happened to be open, saying the USB device was busy.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Does AOS-5.1 large-file copying fight with FAT32?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 06:46:45 pm »
Good news and mildly disappointing news...  After around three hours of wrestling with DFSee, LVM, InitDisk and finally the "Format" option on my USB 2TB HDD's drop-down menu, the HDD got set up as a JFS device -- but those 2TB mysteriously reduced to just under 1TB.  OTOH backup of my system's almost 11GB of AOS-5.1 (two lots: main + maintenance) and scads of other Stuff took some ten minutes, compared with the time needed when the HDD was FAT32: about 12 hours.  And no wildcat strikes by AOS's copying mechanisms.  *yay*

Oh... and if I eject the USB MSD while dependent folders are still open, they now quietly close themselves.  That may be down to the use of CHECKINI.  (Talking of which, has Henk also been kind enough to update his other Regularly Useful util, CLEANINI?)

FWIW, I think the LVM family of apps, good as they are already, might benefit from AN folks putting heads together to make setting up (eg) USB MSDs less mysterious.  (Including a way to enlarge the font in the Advanced LVM, please.)

You are better of using miniilvm and not the Advanced LVM program.

Roderick

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 11:57:18 pm »
(...) That may be down to the use of CHECKINI.  (Talking of which, has Henk also been kind enough to update his other Regularly Useful util, CLEANINI?)

checkini is from Henk Kelder, but cleanini is from Carsten Arnold.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 04:25:42 am »
Tom, can you upload the cleanini package?  I lost my copy.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 02:05:34 pm »
Hi David,

Attached is my archive zip of cleanini including the text file.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 03:45:55 pm »
Thanks! His utility has always been hard to find.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 04:48:25 pm »
Thanks! His utility has always been hard to find.

Hello, sorry for my OCD here.
It is also on hobbes: https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/?dir=%2F&stype=all&sort=type_name&search=CleanINI
I also put it there, because I also have some issues finding it in the past.

Right now with the discontinuation of hobbes we will see what happens. I plan to support the next file repository to try to have all there too, if possible.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 05:19:44 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 05:00:51 pm »
Hi David

Still available on the website http://www.ca-arnold.de/

Regards

Pete

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 11:43:36 pm »
"Carlton" ?? From "The fresh prince of Bel-Air"?
More likely named after sir Thomas Hobbes. Perhaps David Rocks, the founder of Hobbes at NMSU, can answer that.