Author Topic: OSFree Components Under ArcaOS  (Read 3649 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
OSFree Components Under ArcaOS
« on: January 23, 2024, 10:57:46 pm »
Hello

The "The last nail in OS/2's coffin" forum thread and Digi's comment about OSFree, revived my interest on replacing some more old IBM OS/2 binaries for open source ones.

And OSFree produced some binaries that I want to test under ArcaOS. Now with Virtual Machines (VirtualBox) it make it easy to test, break things and recover back the VM if something goes awfully wrong.

I want to start first with the "osfree-snapshot.zip" from 2002. It has some .exe files like attrib.exe, ansi.exe, etc. that I want to test. And later I will move on to the 2019 ISO image they have.

I would like to :
- Test the binaries.
- Confirm that the source code is on the repository
- Confirm it is under a recognized open source license.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: OSFree Components Under ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 01:31:08 pm »
Hello

Yesterday I tested the "OSFree command line tools" replacing the ones in ArcaOS, without any kinf of impact in the operation of the OS.
This command line tools are open source under the The 3-Clause BSD License according to his webpage.
A light inspection shows that the source code is here: https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree/tree/master/OS2/CMD

I tried the "osFree OS/2 Personality Command Line Tools 0.0.3.1" and  the "osfree-snapshot.zip", later I will use the ones in "osFree 0.0.4.8 ISO image" which are the newer (2019).
I didn't replace cmd.exe yet.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 04:46:23 pm »
Hello

Yesterday I tested the "OSFree command line tools" replacing the ones in ArcaOS, without any kinf of impact in the operation of the OS.
This command line tools are open source under the The 3-Clause BSD License according to his webpage.
A light inspection shows that the source code is here: https://github.com/osfree-project/osfree/tree/master/OS2/CMD

I tried the "osFree OS/2 Personality Command Line Tools 0.0.3.1" and  the "osfree-snapshot.zip", later I will use the ones in "osFree 0.0.4.8 ISO image" which are the newer (2019).

Regards

Do not replace, rename or delete original cmd.exe or some programs (rexx pgms) may have problems.
In some case, a call to cmd fom rexxdialog may be needed to get correct results out of OEM tools

Regards

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 10:34:48 pm »
Hello

Regards

Do not replace, rename or delete original cmd.exe or some programs (rexx pgms) may have problems.
In some case, a call to cmd fom rexxdialog may be needed to get correct results out of OEM tools

Regards

Hello Remy

Did you tried it yourself? Which program do you think will fail with OSFree's CMD.exe to give a try here.

Remember this is experimental, I'm not endorsing for everybody to do this. Just for people that want to do some testing (maybe on VMs).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 10:21:44 pm »
Hi Martin,
There are programs which will not work and return stdout when called from a rexx interface (e.g. created by drdialog) but when started via a cmd.exe, informations are well returned to rexx dialog.
e.g. querycddb.exe

May be you could give a try with the cddbgui ...

I think that the best to do is to left cmd.exe as is and have an other option like ArcaNoae does it or like Windows does it (with its powershell)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 12:34:42 pm by Remy »